Teach your puppy... (things I wish I had done...)

Started by TomM, February 24, 2016, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

My 'puppy' is almost 14 now. (English Shepherd)
She has always been great. Very trainable and obedient. Smart. Friendly. Compliant.
She learned things easily and quickly.
I could trust her 99.9999999% at all times.
No leash needed ever.. but we used one when appropriate.
Hearing was her absolute best sense... then sight and last was sense of smell.
Now she has lost 99% of her hearing and a good portion of her sight is impaired by cataracts.
So things have changed.
She 'sniffs' everywhere. The vet said this would take place due to loss of other senses.

Wish I had taught her more visual, sight commands. She sees (just not great)...
She can hear a really sharp whistle sound (I bought an orange one that has a sharp sound).
She knows the hand signal for 'stay' and 'sit'.. but nothing for 'come' or 'ok'...
No response to the whistle except it fortunately gets her attention to look up. (sometimes.. aargh, ha.. that sniffing is really a powerful focus when out walking.)

Anyhow.. teach your puppy lots of hand signals and sharp clapping or whistle burst sound commands, so if things change, she is still safe and happy.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

My puppy is nearly 5.  She is my first "inside dog."  She is affectionate, well-behaved, loves kids, never runs away, etc.  However, she will not come when called.  Never has.  I've tried rewards, but she simply doesn't care about them.  Any thoughts on how to remedy this?   :-\
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

From what I have learned....
At 14 my dog still learns things (so I am trying with the signals etc..)
So, your puppy can probably still learn.
What I learned was to use a 30 foot leash (tether)... (I used a thin 30' rope with a clip attached)
Clip it to dogs collar. Let the dog wander away to enitre length of rope.
Call her name.. gently/firmly pull her back to you and give a great treat (hot dog slivers... something easy to swallow fast)
Repeat this over and over again... (I sat on the door step, for comfort for me)
Let her wander, call her back, pull her back (gently, but directly), treat profusely.
That is one solution.
I have never used a 'shock collar', but that is very tempting with a puppy who is determined not to 'listen' and respond by returning.
My neighbors Golden is 98% compliant, BUT that 2% is when she resists complying with 'come' command. (usually when eating rabbit or deer scat... dang that makes me angry.) But, she is not my dog and my neighbor would rather get angry and scream with no response from the dog, rather than train her to come back.
Hope your puppy responds to the '30 foot leash' plan. :0)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

Quote from: TomM on February 24, 2016, 10:48:05 AM
From what I have learned....
At 14 my dog still learns things (so I am trying with the signals etc..)
So, your puppy can probably still learn.
What I learned was to use a 30 foot leash (tether)... (I used a thin 30' rope with a clip attached)
Clip it to dogs collar. Let the dog wander away to enitre length of rope.
Call her name.. gently/firmly pull her back to you and give a great treat (hot dog slivers... something easy to swallow fast)
Repeat this over and over again... (I sat on the door step, for comfort for me)
Let her wander, call her back, pull her back (gently, but directly), treat profusely.
That is one solution.
I have never used a 'shock collar', but that is very tempting with a puppy who is determined not to 'listen' and respond by returning.
My neighbors Golden is 98% compliant, BUT that 2% is when she resists complying with 'come' command. (usually when eating rabbit or deer scat... dang that makes me angry.) But, she is not my dog and my neighbor would rather get angry and scream with no response from the dog, rather than train her to come back.
Hope your puppy responds to the '30 foot leash' plan. :0)

Thanks, Tom!  This is something I haven't heard of before, but it looks like a good solution. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

littleguy301

My puppy will not do a thing for anything. Darn bully breed so subborn!!!!!

I take that back, if I hold a treat in front of him he will sit if I tap is butt, will stick his paw up (name is vinnie so the paw up is a sign of respect) and will stay when I put a treat down 10 feet away but it has to be done in that order. Will not do it singluar!

My old boy learned hand signals. He was very good at them! My favorite was when I would hold out my hands, palms facing each other, and moved my fingers he knew that was the sign of he was getting scratches. He was down with that.

My wife took him to doggie school and passed the first one but was asked to leave the second one. So he was a drop out but seemed to pick up on hand signals very well.

Though I wonder when he lost his hearing how much he really lost. Wouldnt hear a thing until I opened the cheese drawer. Not matter where in gods green earth he was I would just turn around and drop a slice of kraft singles into his mouth with out looking ;D

Dogs,,,not sure what I would do with out the ones I have!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2016, 10:16:30 AM
My puppy is nearly 5.  She is my first "inside dog."  She is affectionate, well-behaved, loves kids, never runs away, etc.  However, she will not come when called.  Never has.  I've tried rewards, but she simply doesn't care about them.  Any thoughts on how to remedy this?   :-\

Is this a beagle or other hunting hound? I noticed beagles follow their nose for prey before any rewards.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on February 25, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Is this a beagle or other hunting hound? I noticed beagles follow their nose for prey before any rewards.

She's a mutt:  Shih Tzu, Schnauzer, Poodle, Yorkie.   She sometimes chases field mice and barks at the squirrels in our yard, but I don't think she qualifies as a hunter.   :)

bigG

Just sayin', beagles have the closed ear tendency when on a scent.

Hmm. Wish I could help you.

I don't kno0w as much about ShihTzschnoodlies

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on February 26, 2016, 10:27:01 AM
Just sayin', beagles have the closed ear tendency when on a scent.

Hmm. Wish I could help you.

I don't kno0w as much about ShihTzschnoodlies

I'm going to try the rope technique Tom described, once the snow is gone.  Sounds like a great way to entertain myself when we are at our campsite. 

imnofish

Just thought I'd post an update on my dog Sophie's problem.  After we discussed this on here, I talked with my wife about it and how I planned to try Tom's suggestion.  Shortly after that discussion, she just started coming when called.  She as been really great about it ever since (except when she hides under the bed, to avoid taking medicine).  Not sure what flipped that switch for her, unless she actually heard and understood our conversation.  That might seem far-fetched, but she is sure a smart little gal, so it wouldn't surprise me.   ;D

bigG

Good to hear it. Nothing better than time spent with a pooch.