Team vs indivdual

Started by 5799gb, February 19, 2016, 09:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WBBs Bro

And... Wrestling is very fortunate to have this luxury. Can you imagine if every high school sport that had this duality would have separate tournaments?

imnofish

Quote from: WBBs Bro on February 20, 2016, 07:09:02 PM
And... Wrestling is very fortunate to have this luxury. Can you imagine if every high school sport that had this duality would have separate tournaments?

+1
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Dale Einerson

Quote from: maggie on February 20, 2016, 06:46:41 AM
Bottom, Line, wrestling IS first  an Individual sport..plain and simple...

Plain and simple, wrestling is both an individual and team sport. 

maggie

so be it...tell that to the kids who go go  the sate meet without there  team...   ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

jaguarwrestler

wrestling is an individual sport for 85% of the wrestlers as their team never sees post season matches. I doubt too many people get caught up in being a conference champ for a team unless they finally dethroned a team that always wins it.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Preparewrestlingcoach

Last I checked even at team state only one team member is allowed at a time.  8) Unless we added tag team matches since my last team state appearance...

5799gb

At the international level what country's historically produce the best FS and Greco wrestlers?

ramjet

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 21, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
wrestling is an individual sport for 85% of the wrestlers as their team never sees post season matches. I doubt too many people get caught up in being a conference champ for a team unless they finally dethroned a team that always wins it.

You would be surprized how many teams think Conference Champ is the biggest deal....... ;D

Dale Einerson

Quote from: maggie on February 21, 2016, 05:32:59 PM
so be it...tell that to the kids who go go  the sate meet without there  team...   ;)

What do I know, 10 straight years going to Team State as a parent; in my opinion, was a far more fulfilling and exciting sport as a team than as individuals.  Not even close...

Certainly, individuals add to team score, but the team, the Coaching decisions, the community support, the undeniable and sincere excitement of an individual that supports a team, maybe even by not getting pinned...is THE best. 

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on February 21, 2016, 06:39:14 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 21, 2016, 05:40:42 PM

You would be surprized how many teams think Conference Champ is the biggest deal....... ;D

Well, I know a state champ who never won a conference title.  For most kids, winning conference would be a big accomplishment.  Nothing wrong with that.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

CLC FAN

That's just it... No kids make it there without their team.  You can get a pitching machine to help you become a great hitter, you can shoot free throws for hours on end and have a great bball shot, you can be the only human left on the planet and become a great golfer or sprinter or thrower... but you cannot become a great wrestler without training with others.  It's a requirement of the sport.  You need to have more than just yourself or you can't improve.  How would you know how to react to a double if you didn't have teammates who hit a double on you in practice? 
There may be kids down in Madison who have no other teammates with them that qualified, but that just means that those teams are down to one man left... and believe me, that whole community feels that way, and if he's got his head on straight; so does the kid.

imnofish

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 21, 2016, 08:04:40 PM

That's just it... No kids make it there without their team.  You can get a pitching machine to help you become a great hitter, you can shoot free throws for hours on end and have a great bball shot, you can be the only human left on the planet and become a great golfer or sprinter or thrower... but you cannot become a great wrestler without training with others.  It's a requirement of the sport.  You need to have more than just yourself or you can't improve.  How would you know how to react to a double if you didn't have teammates who hit a double on you in practice? 
There may be kids down in Madison who have no other teammates with them that qualified, but that just means that those teams are down to one man left... and believe me, that whole community feels that way, and if he's got his head on straight; so does the kid.

Absolutely!  Personally, I've always felt that every kid on the team should practice, as long as any one of them is still competing. 

littleguy301

PEOPLE lets look at the fact right in front of us as how we determine the team aspect of todays wrestling.

It is determined at regionals with individual scoring!!!!!!!!! Enough said!!!!!!!!!

Until the WIAA changes the aspect of individual scoring determining the who should compete for the team title, we will still have the individual aspect comes before the team aspect!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on February 20, 2016, 06:28:18 AM
Numbers go down because you don't want to be a part of a team? Pretty selfish of wrestlers if this is the case. I'm the best my coach should only care about me attitude?

Specialization of sports is hurting numbers not a team philosophy in wrestling. Numbers are hurting across communities in sports other than just wrestling too due to kids only playing 1 sport or 2 if we are lucky. Hard part is wrestling still to many isn't on the same level as football, baseball, and basketball in most communities. Go to your wrestling crazy towns where team atmosphere is pushed, numbers aren't down in most of those towns and they still seem to have plenty of individual success.

I have to agree with you on the second paragraph of your thought. Numbers are down in ALL sports and some of the smaller school really struggle at getting numbers in any giving sport.

Now to the first paragraph of your sentence, numbers do go down and casts a shadow when you have kids leaving one district to go soley to wrestle or play sports in another district. Sure the team they go to isnt going to hurt only help but the team they left is left without certain kids that I am sure the coaches were counting on to help build their respective programs.

Wouldnt you say that is it a ME first additude having kids open enroll to another district for just sports? And is it a team additude for that school to except those open enrolled when you have devolped kids for many years only to have their spot taken by an open enrolled kid for that sport?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

HULK

3 words.

Junior high inclusion