Team vs indivdual

Started by 5799gb, February 19, 2016, 09:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5799gb

A bit of a take off from a popular thread. With participation numbers down what effect does the team aspect have? Help or hurt? Does the fact that the team dual format is relatively new have anything to do with lower numbers? Since team championships are an addition to the process and seem to be treated as second fiddle
to individual, would it be beneficial to both (individual & team) championships and participation numbers to give them both an equal opportunity?

Looking forward to opinions because I don't have any ;)

Maybe this can go 15 pages

Ghetto

I promise to address the numbers down issue very soon.  ;D

The team state tournament has been around a long time. The numbers issue, imo, started a few years after. Coincidence? I think so.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

shouldvewrestled

Numbers go down because you don't want to be a part of a team? Pretty selfish of wrestlers if this is the case. I'm the best my coach should only care about me attitude?

Specialization of sports is hurting numbers not a team philosophy in wrestling. Numbers are hurting across communities in sports other than just wrestling too due to kids only playing 1 sport or 2 if we are lucky. Hard part is wrestling still to many isn't on the same level as football, baseball, and basketball in most communities. Go to your wrestling crazy towns where team atmosphere is pushed, numbers aren't down in most of those towns and they still seem to have plenty of individual success.

maggie

Bottom, Line, wrestling IS first  an Individual sport..plain and simple...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigoil

Quote from: maggie on February 20, 2016, 06:46:41 AM
Is the largest accomplishment in Milton wrestling history the individuals that have won, places and qualified for state, or is it the miracle of knocking off Rapids? I know when I drive into Wrightstown, Freedom Luxemburg I see TEAM.

I know when you are out on the mat it is you vs the opponent, but before and after and certainly during you are supported by a group of individuals called a team. We are a unique sport in that you can have success as an individual without success as a team but that doesn't mean the individual comes first!

CLC FAN

Disagree

NWIS

k

That's true. Unless Milton beats Stoughton then its all again. Parents back individuals. Communities back teams.

5799gb

I may have to borrow those last two sentences at some point NWIS

maggie

ha, not taking anything away from the team aspect of the sport, i get that, but i do know it's you against him when it comes right down to it as far as the team goes, it has it's place, but as far as i am concerned, it should never hamper an Individuals right to being a State champion in any way shape of form...maybe do it like they used to, who ever has most earn a trip to the big dance, wins more Team points and is declared the winner after it's all over.....it worked great for many years...ya see, it wasn't broke and they tried to fix it... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

It is a unique sport that has both an individual an team aspect. You really cannot have one without the other.

Execute the team Championship series better and you have the best of both worlds.

D3 should be 10 weight classes that would shore up the team aspect as well and increase the quality of wrestling across the board.

imnofish

Wrestling is, by nature, both an individual and a team sport.  Having both types of tournaments simply highlights that aspect, which is not really unique to the sport.  Other sports, such as swimming, track & field, and tennis, also have this duality.  My kids both loved the concept of being individual competitors who could positively contribute to the success of their respective teams (track and wrestling).  On several occasions, they both sacrificed individual interests for the sake of the team.  Our daughter had health problems during her senior year that limited the number of races she could run in a day; she chose relays, rather than competing as a high-potential individual, because she felt a strong responsibility to the young team she was mentoring.  As a team captain, our son wrestled above his weight class in nearly every dual meet during his senior year, so his younger teammates had a better opportunity to contribute to the team score.  Neither of them has ever expressed any remorse about it.  Our son is very proud of his team sectional medal.  Our daughter is very proud of her state relay team medal, earned during her junior year.  They don't see these as lesser accomplishments than their individual medals.  In fact, they've both repeatedly stated that the inherent duality in their respective sports was central to their personal appeal.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: 5799gb on February 19, 2016, 09:08:20 PM
A bit of a take off from a popular thread. With participation numbers down what effect does the team aspect have? Help or hurt? Does the fact that the team dual format is relatively new have anything to do with lower numbers? Since team championships are an addition to the process and seem to be treated as second fiddle
to individual, would it be beneficial to both (individual & team) championships and participation numbers to give them both an equal opportunity?

Looking forward to opinions because I don't have any ;)

Maybe this can go 15 pages

what team format is new? team state?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

CrossAnkle

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 20, 2016, 07:07:08 AM

Disagree

I agree with CLC FAN....

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

WBBs Bro

I'm not sure who or which is right, but it is the nature if the beast. An athlete that competes in a sport which recognizes both individual and team accomplishments at the same same time is in a no win(or lose) situation. If he/ she doe the best they can at all times, all will work itself out. The only difference is that all other sports that have this duality, do not not have separate tournaments for for individual recognition( like wrestling does). I'm sure all those other sports have the same concerns.