FVA Tourny

Started by H. Hogan, February 06, 2016, 07:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H. Hogan

A few thoughts

1. Neenah did a great job, nicely run tournament, always tough to manage with those rat tail matches.
2. Nothing against Trent Leon, but the coaches got it wrong Wrestler of the year should have been Blair Mullholland, 4x FVA champ, never lost a conference match.
3. Kaukauna is still the top dog, I admit I thought Hortonville was going to take the Tourny.

Again great tournament, can't wait to see what the FVA does in the next three weeks!

npope

Any published results for this tournament?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

CLC FAN

P.U.S.H

Hogan, I completely agree that the FVA outstanding wrestler should have been Blair based on exactly what you pointed out, unbeaten in the FVA in his career to go along with his 4 conference titles.

I actually had a side bet before the tournament began with Heavy on who would win the award.  I had chosen Blair and Heavy had chosen Josh Adams (another very deserving candidate along with the eventual winner Trent Leon). I was not aware of Blair's FVA accomplishments until I talked to Kimberly coach Engelland after the award had been handed out.  It blew my mind when I heard the stats.

With the turnover in coaches over the past years, I wonder if Blair's history in the FVA was lost on them as it was to me?

Suggestions:

1. I have been at past FVA conference tournaments where the FVA history was printed in the tournament program.  Past coach of the year, outstanding wrestlers, and Team champions were listed.  This was not posted this year for whatever reason.  This probably should be done every year for fans and coaches alike. 

2. Coaches could submit to the hosting school any deserving wrestlers on their team along with the wrestlers accomplishments.  A list could be formed and handed out to all coaches at the coaches meeting (not to be discussed at the meeting as there are to many other things that need to be done at that time to get the wrestling started on time).  This list of deserving wrestlers would just be for the coaches to look over as they see fit.  Coaches could still vote however they would like, choosing someone from the list or voting for another wrestler not on the list. 

Overall, some great wrestling at the tournament this year.  I think the FVA is in a good place with some very good programs and some great coaches.  Congrats to Coach Genrich on coach of the year, to Trent Leon for being the outstanding wrestler, and Kaukauna for another team title.