I'm seriously Thinking about running for Janesville school board

Started by maggie, February 03, 2016, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

and would be interested in hearing any suggestions from wrestling fathers or mothers who may have served on a board as to help my chances...Thanks
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Ghetto

I'm up to the challenge Maggie if you need me to edit your material.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

maggie

good man Ghetto!...I'll let ua know... ;) and ha Fish, I'll use anyone's advice if they have prior experience..

imnofish

Focus your comments on how you want to help students get the best learning opportunities, despite the schools being underfunded by the state.  Emphasize that you will be a good listener, open to public input, and eager to learn more about how to accomplish this.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Dale Einerson

Maggie, I only offer encouragement.  I think it would be great if somebody with a working background, in retirement, with a passion for the youth in your community took that challenge on.

Be prepared for how much work it is to get elected; how many hours you will be expected to contribute to the cause.

I suggest you look for how many votes it typically takes to get elected and ask yourself if in your district, or in your city, if you can call on a number 3-4x that number to agree to give you their vote.  Turn out is typically very low for school board positions...

maggie

Ill certainly take that into consideration Dale, and thanks...and any other advice ya might have, feel free..if my campaign manager has another relapse,  Ill give ya a call!   :)

littleguy301

1. Refrain from talking about how great you were/are in your job. Simple state how long you were at that job and how much you enjoyed that job. People will understand if you were at a job for many years you must have been good at it.

2. Dont come out and boast how you are going to talk to top state officals about changing certain things in your district and such. Many people dont like change and many people think it is boastful that one brags about talking to state officals and to be honest the average person really doesnt trust those state officals.

3. Dont center your self about talking about your own and your families accomplishments. See number 1. Talk about what you have been involved in and the many great people you have met in your community. How being involved with the great people of your community gave you some inside as to what the people in the community wants from a school board leader.

HOpe this helps maggie. It is a thankless job but go for it!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

maggie

Great advice LG, and that would be the number 1 rule, Never bring attention to yourself!...being a board member has nothing to do with You!. it's all about how you can see ways to help the kids...Thanks LG, Advice taken... ;)...

Dale Einerson

Only, it is also about the Superintendent, and Principals; Teachers, and the parents, and the tax payers that don't have any kids in the school system at present; the employers...

maggie

yes, it is....and i have that covered as well! thanks for the reminder....i was thinking of hiring Rammy to be my campaign Manager, i understand he has some experience in the school board field..what do ya say rammy, ya want to give it a go and help out?...common, we can Bury the hatchet if ya will... ;)

littleguy301

I know of 1 guy that is a school board president that was on the forum for some time. Maybe they will chime in.

I think that Ram is also a board member. I remember him talking about it or maybe he ran, not sure but maybe he has some advice.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

maggie

NO Ticket in needed to get on the board...but it would certainly help...However, I'm still waiting for my little buddy to give me an answer...All tho, i don't believe he would be qualified down in this neck of the woods...might have to pull in some local

imnofish

Quote from: maggie on February 04, 2016, 09:22:34 AM
NO Ticket in needed to get on the board...but it would certainly help...However, I'm still waiting for my little buddy to give me an answer...All tho, i don't believe he would be qualified down in this neck of the woods...might have to pull in some local

He could be a carpetbagger candidate...   move down there, so he can run for office.  The big shot politicians do it all the time.  ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

maggie

Yes Oil, he would be a good one, nut he's out of area also...Speaking of witch...when we getting together again for to do the Lunch thing?... :) preferably after the Superbowl when my pocket is Full!.... :)