Is Trump making a mistake ...

Started by neutral, January 27, 2016, 09:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

... by dropping out of the Thu.1/28 IA Debate.

I think so ... and hope he is.   
Why give you opponents an opportunity on a national stage to go after you ... without a chance to rebut them.
He could either kill Megan Kelly with kindness - or state ahead of time that he will dismiss her questions ... and then do so.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

MarkK

I thought you were going to say by having Iowa Hawkeye wrestlers appear on stage with him.  He says he wrestled once.  I think I saw him at wrestlemania.  No wait that was Bobby the Brain Heenan.  Anyways what was that Hawkeye wrestler doing on the platform wearing a Bernie with a propellar on tip.  Made wrestlers from Iowa look not so smart.   
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Grapl

I don't think it matters.  Trump has found a way to get his name in the media daily.  Some common folks don't even know the other candidates and aren't going to watch the debate anyway.    They (common folk) do however hear Trumps name regularly and if they vote they aren't going to vote on issues but name recognition.  IMO

bigG

Quote from: neutral on January 27, 2016, 09:18:53 AM

Why give you opponents an opportunity on a national stage to go after you ... without a chance to rebut them.
He could either kill Megan Kelly with kindness - or state ahead of time that he will dismiss her questions ... and then do so.

If his opponents were smart they would agree to not even mention his name, nor comment on it if the mediator asks about DT.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dale Einerson

No. Not a mistake.

No upside to going; he gets all this free publicity again.

To the comments he can't take the heat, he is taking just as many interviews and debates with Fox and Kelly as the current POTUS and those on the other side of the ticket running for POTUS.

ramjet

he he he You guys testing the waters here?  ;D ;D ;D

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on January 27, 2016, 11:17:44 AM
Quote from: neutral on January 27, 2016, 09:18:53 AM

If his opponents were smart they would agree to not even mention his name, nor comment on it if the mediator asks about DT.

I agree

Quote from: Dale Einerson on January 27, 2016, 02:34:25 PM
No. Not a mistake.

No upside to going; he gets all this free publicity again.

To the comments he can't take the heat, he is taking just as many interviews and debates with Fox and Kelly as the current POTUS and those on the other side of the ticket running for POTUS.

He is a media treasure. He always has been able to make the news without trying.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

neutral

I think Executive powers need to be reined in ... no matter who the PODUS is.  If so - beyond political course - his biggest asset is veto power ... not imposition of will.

My biggest concern is not that he speaks his mind ... but that there's no filter between his mind and his mouth - which is good for knowing the real Donald ... but bad from a world politics perspective.  I'd hate for other world leaders to be trying to figure him out.

Also - he may be a fiscal conservative conservative ... but he is not a social conservative (except, possibly, his stance on immigration ... as a sub-sect).

The only thing to like about him is that He can probably beat Hillary - fortunately for him ... that's a pretty thing.

BTW - I don't think missing the debate ended up hurting him - mostly because Cruz missed a golden opportunity to step up ... and stepped back (IMO).

IMO - Christie & Rubio gained.  Bush did okay ... but still feels like luke-warm water.  Kasich is the same old thing.  Carson & Paul aren't practical (but, then again, neither is Trump ... except that he's leading).

dman

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 29, 2016, 06:00:44 PM
I truly will consider taking an overseas job opportunity if either Trump or Hillary become President of the United States. I will grieve for my country. Seriously.  

Agreed!!

maggie

HRC will not be the peoples choice...the next CAC will be either Joe or The Burn...i have to agree with G, why would they even consider talking about him?
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

neutral

Quote from: maggie on January 30, 2016, 07:51:21 AM
HRC will not be the peoples choice...the next CAC will be either Joe or The Burn...i have to agree with G, why would they even consider talking about him?

I wasn't suggesting they should make him a topic ... or a frequent reference - only that, as they did, take a few digs at him without an immediate response.

Just as his popularity allowed him the luxury of missing the debate ... it's not like a mention of his name was going to make people think "oh yeah ... where is that other guy".

I think others did gain in his absence - although not enough to make a difference.

ramjet

Dale Einerson

DrSnide

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 29, 2016, 06:00:44 PM
I truly will consider taking an overseas job opportunity if either Trump or Hillary become President of the United States. I will grieve for my country. Seriously.  

Agreed.  If these two are the best we can do the system is fatally flawed. Both are just awful human beings and frauds to boot.  Wish Canada was warmer but may have to learn to love hockey.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso