Why???

Started by wrestler_73, January 18, 2016, 02:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

Why do we struggle so much?  This makes one think about all of the excuses you hear on this forum and by BD backers...

Here is a sample...

1) Consider Wisconsin is the most difficult school in the United States to get into. Higher standards than any Big Ten or D1 school. No other schools have academic requirements. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
2) Wisconsin wrestling recruits students FIRST, not wrestlers. This is required of wrestling, but not football or basketball so this makes it more difficult and more rewarding in the end when a wrestler is able to remain on the team for four seasons. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
3) Wisconsin team members have to study more, they do not practice wrestling as much. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
4) All wrestlers at the other D1 Schools are studying 'exercise science' ('GYM') and get to work out all day, seven days a week with personal training professionals. All Wisconsin wrestlers are studying nuclear physics or brain surgery and STUDY 16 hours per day, sleep for six and eat/travel to class the other two hours. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
5) Wisconsin wrestlers are citizens first as well and spend any spare time volunteering at food pantries and toy drives to benefit the PR of the University and Athletic department. NO ONE in other sports or schools has this REQUIREMENT except the women's sports. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
6) Wisconsin wrestling has 9.9 athletic scholarships and must share them among the team. ALL the other teams have access to much greater secret monetary resources that appear out of thin air by total luck and those schools can then offer more and have larger team numbers. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
7) In the State of Wisconsin there is a pesky forum online that discourages all descent instate and out of state recruits from coming to Wisconsin, therefore the ones who do come are here for two big reasons. A) They are students FIRST (which is only true at UW) and B) They have an amazing tight bond with the Wizard of Wisconsin Wrestling that doesn't happen with other wrestlers and coaches elsewhere. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
8) Wisconsin is a PARTY school (the BIGGEST in the land) and this causes wrestlers at UW to either falter in wrestling by their own weakness or SURVIVE that party scene and become an even greater person as a result. Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
9) UW is loyal to wrestling coaches and rewards their consistency with regular contract extensions for being CONSISTENT no matter the level of that consistency. Consistency is good in all forms, therefore Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
10) The only part of the season that matters is the two days of the Big Ten tournament and the weekend 14 days later, Nationals. The sole purpose of the entire season is to prepare for that two week span, therefore 'in season' progress and results are not something to worry about or concentrate on, allowing for more ACADEMIC study time and Wisconsin wrestlers are "better" for this.
11) Wisconsin high school wrestling is not good enough.  All of the other top programs have top notch high school wrestling....Wait, that is not always true.  Anyway, our wrestlers are better for having this experience at UW-even if for the most part...never seem to get better.  

billymurphy

I have heard the "he is not buying in" excuse when a wrestler is having a
tough time cutting down to a lower weight group.  So, naturally, you bring the
wrestler across the country to make weight, and then not wrestle him in the meet anyway,
and that was necessary, because he needs to get used to starving himself.
-I highly doubt I would "buy in" to the idea of cutting weight and then being told I am not going to
wrestle anyway.

MNbadger

I agree with you on that Billy!
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

leg turk

Who did he do that to?

Micah

while cutting weight does suck, I could see making a guy get close to weight and then working him out to see how he reacts.  Would not make him travel though, Would do it at home in a more controlled setting.  You might be surprised that this type of thing happens more often than you think.

wrestler_73

Thanks Coco...your sarcasm is almost as strong as my post.

littleguy301

1. tough to get in but I wouldnt say the hardest, one of the toughest but does that mean at the back end it is the best? I also believe Northwestern is tough to get into and also a very good school for educations. I also read that Minnesota has one of the highest graduation rates amount Big Ten Athletics. not sure if it is true but ahead of Wisconsin from what I read.

2. There are other sports at the UW that fair very well with the same restrictions as the wrestling team. I doubt the rowing, volleyball and some of the others are getting the special treatment you claim the football and basketball teams get.

3. Bottom line I think it is more up to each wrestler how much study time they have,,,,,the UW has had several wrestlers in the past that had some trouble putting in the proper amount of study time. I also doubt Barry has the kids shot 200 doubles and study whatever class 200 times. Once again up to the student and what they are actually going to do.

4. Maybe that is true but excerise science or what ever is one of the largest growing fields out there. It is a medical field that people need trainers and such in for broken legs, helping the ailing get around and I could go on and on. Also do you realize what some of these excerise people make,,,,,I dont think it is a laughing matter because it is a real job that can pay some serious money.

5. Maybe true,,,,,havent followed what time they donate. I know some football players that are quite active in helping out on these sort of things but have no idea what is expected of them. If this is expected than good for the program. I give credit and Wisconsin wrestlers are better for this!

6. Last I checked ALL D1 programs get 9.9 scholarships. This is not new or ground breaking. What each U does with them is their own choice. I know if the wrestlers are so smart they should be able to pick up academic money to help out also. Sure some of the "big" schools have booster clubs than may "slide" money there way but it is not like the NCAA is going to let all these booster pay for a certain kid to go to school, remember there are rulles about this and problems if you break them.

7. News flash,,,,Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Ok State to name a few or the ones I look at also have these "pesky" forums and man some of those forums are quite abusive compared to this one. But all those schools I mentioned have another thing in common, they are proven winners and yes, outside Ok State, I have heard over the past several years that they should get rid of their coachs also and they all have won more than what has happened in Wisconsin. Heck JRobb had a thread at one time this year that it was time for him to go. Image that, 30 years, several big ten titles, toss in some dual titles and some national titles and they want him gone!!!!!!! I also bet that there are some people out there and some on this forum that have wrestled for BD and dont talk very highly of him.

8. Once again about the party school, it is the choices you have made to live that life. Plus if Wisconsin wrestlers are studing to be DR, Bankers and what not and you call it a party school then by your own admissions that degree is tainted if the school is so into the PARTY scene!

9. Maybe loyal to a fault. But if having a program that is fine being average year in and year out that this is very good for the wrestlers to achieve what they want. This could be a good thing also.

10. OK,,,,they why do other schools strive to win at the midlands, southern scuffle, cliff keens and other tournaments? I guess we should just look forward to 5 days of wrestling a year and be happy with it. This arguement doesnt hold any mud by any stretch of the mind. It is a mind set to work to be the best on those 5 days, over come your low spots, learn to deal with stuff and put your best foot on the mat those 5 days. kind of hard to put your best foot on the mat in those 5 days if your not putting any feet on the mat at any given time during the year!

11. Well,,,,,I think California has some of the best high school wrestling but name me a west coast team that year in and year out competes for the NCAA title? There is some awesome wrestling out east and minus Penn State in the past 5 years there are not many titles coming out of the east either. Though there has been some and there are some good teams out there that just dont get over the hump! Though I bet getting a degree from Cornell is a big deal,,,,o wait they are to good in wrestling to even matter!

But I will agree that if you put your 4 years in at UW on the wrestling team and get your degree your a better person for it. Though if you get your degree and compete on a team that is always on the top of the wrestling world, that is also a very good thing. In my case if you even get your degree from a college your better also. Remember the world needs ditch diggers and my life is like a sand box,,,just dig it ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Micah

I think we can put the tough to get in excuse to bed.  We already know kids with less than a 3.0 are getting into the UW.  Is it harder to get into UW than Neb. Yes! But we are talking about letting in kids with a 2.5 vs. a 2.8.  The pool of quality wrestlers that achieve better than 3.0 in HS is large and it is definitely large enough to produce winning teams.

Every D1 wrestling team has multiple starters that maintained a 3.0 or better in HS.  Why can't we get the top wrestlers that have a 2.8 or better?  I honestly don't think kids with a GPA below a 3.0 in HS should be attending a major University.  There are lots of Tech and community colleges for students with GPAs in the low 2s.  I would love to see all the major universities uphold their academic standards.  It would significantly change the landscape of the revenue generating sports. 

bigG

I think my only bone to pick would be with athletes getting in with a 2.8, 22 ACT, etc. I do not think there should be an easing of acceptance qualifications for athletes.

Northwestern does a fantastic job with wrestling and football, IMHO. They might ease their standards, too. I'd rather the better students had those dollars over having a good (fillin the blank) team.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Micah

Quote from: bigG on January 21, 2016, 09:27:14 AM
I think my only bone to pick would be with athletes getting in with a 2.8, 22 ACT, etc. I do not think there should be an easing of acceptance qualifications for athletes.

Northwestern does a fantastic job with wrestling and football, IMHO. They might ease their standards, too. I'd rather the better students had those dollars over having a good (fillin the blank) team.

100% spot on

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 20, 2016, 06:25:04 PM
Acceptance is the key. That's what I took from 73's post.

Almost sounds like a Union Hall around here, where mediocrity is accepted. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

stp

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 20, 2016, 11:29:08 PM

7. News flash,,,,Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Ok State to name a few or the ones I look at also have these "pesky" forums and man some of those forums are quite abusive compared to this one. But all those schools I mentioned have another thing in common, they are proven winners and yes, outside Ok State, I have heard over the past several years that they should get rid of their coachs also and they all have won more than what has happened in Wisconsin. Heck JRobb had a thread at one time this year that it was time for him to go. Image that, 30 years, several big ten titles, toss in some dual titles and some national titles and they want him gone!!!!!!! I also bet that there are some people out there and some on this forum that have wrestled for BD and dont talk very highly of him.

To be fair, only Iowa is "quite abusive" compared to this one.  Others may have strong opinions but the Iowa forum is just like it's fans = loud. 

The Ohio (yappi) forum, everyone has been in good spirits for years.  People who cheer for the Buckeyes like their coach. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

MNbadger

"Almost sounds like a Union Hall around here, where mediocrity is accepted. "

Hmmm.... mediocrity is not accepted in my union.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: stp on January 25, 2016, 08:11:57 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 20, 2016, 11:29:08 PM

To be fair, only Iowa is "quite abusive" compared to this one.  Others may have strong opinions but the Iowa forum is just like it's fans = loud. 

The Ohio (yappi) forum, everyone has been in good spirits for years.  People who cheer for the Buckeyes like their coach. 

It wasnt long ago that there was a thread on the Ohio State forum about is tom ryan really the man for the job. Due to it seemed he was getting talent like a mad man but they just were not panning out.

That was around the time of Jamison and Colin Palmer and I believe injuries derailed them not Ryan.

Bottom line is most forums are negative at some point, just before Cael got to penn state they were kind of wanting the other coach out and boy were they ripping about Bubba Jenkins getting out and winning a title for ASU.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.