Wrestling: Siener, Furseth win titles at Big Eight tournament

Started by TomM, February 08, 2015, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Wrestling: Siener, Furseth win titles at Big Eight tournament
BELOIT—Dylan Siener is hoping to close out his high school wrestling career with a bang.
The Janesville Parker senior got things started Saturday at the Big Eight Conference wrestling tournament.
Siener, at 126 pounds, and Janesville Craig senior Airk Furseth at 113 each repeated as league champions at Beloit Memorial High.
Middleton scored 236.5 points to edge Verona by 4.5 points. Craig was third at 224 and Parker sixth with 177.
"I won it last year, but it always feels good," Siener said. "I'm just looking forward to going through regionals and sectionals and hopefully qualifying for state. It's nice to win, but I've got to keep working."
Siener squared off with Craig sophomore Nate Farrell in an all-Janesville title bout. The two didn't face each other in the regular season, and Siener said the opportunity to square off against a crosstown rival and longtime friend gave him some extra motivation.
"That's the team that we've got to beat," said Siener, who won an 8-4 decision. "I came in thinking I was going to win, but I knew it was going to be a battle."
Farrell made Siener work for it.
The Vikings' No. 12-ranked Division 1 wrestler at 126 got a takedown late in the first period to grab a 2-0 lead and notched another in the second to take a 4-1 lead to the third.
An escape and takedown in the third stretched the advantage to 7-1. But Farrell escaped and took down Siener to get back within 7-4.
Siener escaped and held on.
Now he'll turn his attention to advancing through the postseason. He hopes to make his first WIAA state tournament appearance.
"After missing it year after year, it's time to get there," Siener said. "Really the goal is just to get there, but once I get there I'm going to be working to advance."
Furseth was never really challenged on his way through the Big Eight bracket and improved his season record to 35-0. He won the title match at 113 with a 13-0 major decision.
The Cougars were hoping to challenge for the conference title and were in the mix for much of the day before coming up just short.
"We're a young team, and today the young wrestlers carried us," Craig coach Mark Mullen said. "We needed all the team points we could get. The numbers were there, there were just a few weight classes we didn't score the number of points we were hoping for."
The march toward state begins Saturday with regional competition. Both Parker and Craig will compete at the Wilmot Regional.
Big Eight
At Beloit Memorial
TEAM SCORES
Middleton 236.5, Verona 232, Janesville Craig 224, Sun Prairie 218, Madison LaFollette 193, Janesville Parker 177, Madison East 130, Beloit Memorial 121, Madison West 108, Madison Memorial 53
TITLE AND THIRD-PLACE MATCHES
106—Title: Moziah Clark (MW) dec. Drew Scharenbrock (SP), 4-2. Third: Francesco Schiro (L) pinned Colton Best (M), 4:59.
113—Title: Airk Furseth (JC) maj. dec. Tyler Nelson (SP), 13-0. Third: Edwin Chavez (B) maj. dec. Matthew Maier (V), 15-1.
120—Title: Brandon Daniels (V) dec. Jeffery Johnson (L), 6-3. Third: Stone Klingaman (JC) pinned Trevaun Turner (M), 2:33.
126—Title: Dylan Siener (JP) dec. Nate Farrell (JC), 8-4. Third: Shamar Madlock (M) dec. Kody Sutton (SP), 4-2.
132—Title: Travis Bouzek (SP) over Chris Rogers (M), SV-1, 6-4. Third: Gerardo Badillo (B) dec. Malcolm Clark (MW), 7-5.
138—Title: Derek Lawinger (L) dec. Dyvonne Thornton (JP), 10-8. Third: Dion Huff (M) won by forfeit over Connor Jones (MM).
145—Title: Joseph Stupar (L) dec. Tyler Thornton (JP), 4-3. Third: Zach Perrich (SP) dec. Abraham Luna (B), 6-4.
152—Title: Eric Schmid (V) pinned Logan Baker (JC), 0:46. Third: Jake Graeve (SP) dec. Tray Turner (L), 8-4.
160—Title: Shay Haase (M) dec. Aristide Serrano (JC), 3-0. Third: Jackson Bryant (V) pinned Salvatore Schiro (L), 1:34.
170—Title: Carlito Schiro (L) maj. dec. Alex Miller (JP), 12-4. Third: Will Van Pietersom (SP) over Everett Washington (JC), SV-1, 10-8.
182—Title: Taggart Haase (M) dec. Andy Garcia (ME), 3-2. Third: Miguel Chestnut (SP) pinned Derrik Haneold (JC), 2:16.
190—Title: Dakin Coons (V) pinned Jordan Festge (ME), 3:01. Third: Logan Murdy (JP) pinned Ka' Juan Redus (M), 2:25.
220—Title: Trayvonn Johnson (V) pinned Sam Presser (SP), 2:00. Third: Jackson Middleton (MW) pinned Matthew Davey (M), 1:56.
285—Title: Sean Benedict (M) pinned Michael Dunlap (ME), 5:13. Third: Garrison Stauffer (V) dec. Karl Saladino (B), 4-0.
- See more at: http://www.gazettextra.com/20150207/wrestling_siener_furseth_win_titles_at_big_eight_tournament#sthash.mPkOp4hb.dpuf
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"