Why do old People?

Started by easytopin, January 14, 2016, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: Dale Einerson on January 18, 2016, 09:21:21 AM
Quote from: easytopin on January 14, 2016, 07:43:08 PM
Feel the need to drive only when its bad weather outside.  I live 22 miles from school and each morning I drive to work i meet or catch up to 5-6 cars. This morning in the snow it was 20-25 vehicles. Of course driving 40 mph as well. Every time we get snow I can bank on the over 70 crowd to be out slowing down traffic...or is this just a Wyoming thing.

It isn't just the driving, it is lines, carts in aisles...some day I hope to achieve one of my lifetime goals.  And that is, to be so unaware of my social surroundings and the clock, that I feel absolutely no stress.  That would be a wonderful goal achieved.

Well said.  ;D

imnofish

Quote from: Dale Einerson on January 18, 2016, 12:24:36 PM
Quote from: maggie on January 18, 2016, 10:08:22 AM
Perfect post Dale..... ;) can't wait till ya join us... :)

It'll be awhile yet, so, in the meantime, please try hard not to engage in personal conversation at the grocery store checkout while there are 3, wait 4, wait 5, wait 6 people in line behind you... And, it would be especially appreciated if you wouldn't pay in exact change while digging into several pockets or the bottom of your purse.

I am always amazed how many people wait until their final number is due before they think to unwrap about 4 layers to get to a wallet.

Me, too.  However, that affliction is neither inclusive, nor exclusive, to any age group.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MarkK

Quote from: Dale Einerson on January 18, 2016, 09:21:21 AM
Quote from: easytopin on January 14, 2016, 07:43:08 PM
Feel the need to drive only when its bad weather outside.  I live 22 miles from school and each morning I drive to work i meet or catch up to 5-6 cars. This morning in the snow it was 20-25 vehicles. Of course driving 40 mph as well. Every time we get snow I can bank on the over 70 crowd to be out slowing down traffic...or is this just a Wyoming thing.

It isn't just the driving, it is lines, carts in aisles...some day I hope to achieve one of my lifetime goals.  And that is, to be so unaware of my social surroundings and the clock, that I feel absolutely no stress.  That would be a wonderful goal achieved.

I have a response to this but I gotta go.  Have a meeting in Rapids Today.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

littleguy301

How about that old timers (mainly a lady in my town) that buys 1 scratch off at a time and has to scratch that bad boy off right there and god forgive if she has a winner she has to stand there and look over every stinking ticket that is offered and cannt quite figure out what buy!!!!!!!!!!

Buy and fly I say ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 20, 2016, 10:55:23 PM
How about that old timers (mainly a lady in my town) that buys 1 scratch off at a time and has to scratch that bad boy off right there and god forgive if she has a winner she has to stand there and look over every stinking ticket that is offered and cannt quite figure out what buy!!!!!!!!!!

10 years from now, you'll be her clone.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

It'll be awhile yet, so, in the meantime, please try hard not to engage in personal conversation at the grocery store checkout while there are 3, wait 4, wait 5, wait 6 people in line behind you... And, it would be especially appreciated if you wouldn't pay in exact change while digging into several pockets or the bottom of your purse.

I am always amazed how many people wait until their final number is due before they think to unwrap about 4 layers to get to a wallet.

I love this scenario. I like it even more when we decide to pay by check; and, of course, we don't bother to have the checkbook ready. Nooo. We have to wait until the final bill is calculated and dig through our purse, past tic-tacs, a mini bottle of Charlie, lipstick, some baby powder smellin' lotion, etc. to get the dang check book. Then we slowly fill in the date, recheck the price, sign that puppy. A mere 18 minutes later, voila, transaction done!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigG

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 20, 2016, 10:55:23 PM

When I worked at a gas station this was as close as I came to cursing a person out.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: bigG on January 21, 2016, 09:13:35 AM

I love this scenario. I like it even more when we decide to pay by check; and, of course, we don't bother to have the checkbook ready. Nooo. We have to wait until the final bill is calculated and dig through our purse, past tic-tacs, a mini bottle of Charlie, lipstick, some baby powder smellin' lotion, etc. to get the dang check book. Then we slowly fill in the date, recheck the price, sign that puppy. A mere 18 minutes later, voila, transaction done!

That is what I am talking about.  Just before Christmas, the octogenarian working the checkout at a local Target decided to read my Christmas cards I was purchasing to comment on their level of "cuteness."  There were easily a dozen cards...I am sorry, but, after I had silently waved away about 8 people that got behind me in line, that was a bridge too far and i felt my blood pressure getting away from me.

Now, pair that checkout person with the people we have been referencing above and we have a nightmare scenario there is no waking up from.

ramjet

Holy impatience Batman you guys seem just wound a little tight.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

imnofish

Lots of people hate senior citizens, until they become senior citizens.  In my experience, the most obnoxious, self-centered seniors have been that way throughout their lives. 

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on January 21, 2016, 09:13:35 AM

digging threw your purse are be Big G ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Oops I forgot, you may still rock that "man" purse ;D

littleguy301

Quote from: imnofish on January 21, 2016, 08:32:11 PM
Lots of people hate senior citizens, until they become senior citizens.  In my experience, the most obnoxious, self-centered seniors have been that way throughout their lives. 

I actually admire some of the senior out there. Retired, put in their time and hopefully living the dream!!!!!! I would love to be there some day but sadly at my age they just call it quitting :'( :'(

MarkK

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 21, 2016, 01:47:04 PM
Why do these menaces of society get rewarded discounts for virtually everything they purchase? Don't even think about getting a seat at the local diner when they offer twofers.     

You can always try the kids meal. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 21, 2016, 11:54:04 PM
Quote from: imnofish on January 21, 2016, 08:32:11 PM

I actually admire some of the senior out there. Retired, put in their time and hopefully living the dream!!!!!! I would love to be there some day but sadly at my age they just call it quitting :'( :'(

IMO, you are destined to be one of those seniors that your neighbors will love...   and probably already do.  I have never been a fan of "ageism."  All kids aren't bad, nor are all seniors, all Millennials, all Gen-Xers, etc.  Good people are good people, period.  Some people slow down their processing and reactive skills, as they age.  I believe in looking for and appreciating their positives, while being patient with their age-induced struggles...   just like I would hope to be treated.  My father is nearly 83 years old.  He was a loving husband for 62 years, spending the final 5 years caring for my mother as she died of Alzheimer's.  He began working full time (nights) at age 9, served his country during the Korean War, and is still the toughest guy I know.  He works out for an hour, 7 days per week, reads extensively, and is very up-to-date on national and world events.  He grew up in a household without running water, dropped out of school to help his parents support their 7 kids.  He eventually completed high school, a Bachelor's Degree, a Master's Degree, plus an additional 36 graduate credits.  He worked as a teacher, coach, athletic director, factory laborer, industrial manager, small business owner, truck driver, etc. to support his 5 children.  After selling his business and retiring from his career in education, he returned to work in the manufacturing sector and even spent some time in community leadership.  The man is still a good driver, but he is a bit slow on the highway, insisting on setting his cruise control at the posted speed limit.  Nothing wrong with that, but some people find that annoying.  Some also get impatient when he stops at every stop sign.  Personally, I am thankful that he follows the laws; more drivers should do so.  With his contributions to family, community, and country, I have no problem cutting him some slack on the driving issue, or if it takes him longer to get the money out of his wallet in the checkout line.  I am not so naive as to think that he is alone in his accomplishments, so I extend the same patience to all senior citizens.  My generation did not get where we are all by ourselves, after all.

littleguy301

Both my parents are in their late 70's and probably in better shape then people 30 years younger. Traveled the world, likes to take vacation at far away places. Sure they are alot slower than some people would like them to be but they get around, they pay their taxes so I guess I should cut those elders some slack.

My dad is much the same, he drives the speed limit, stops at all stop signs. Though my dad enjoys taking the back road because driving 80 on the freeway just isnt his style. enjoys the country roads at 50-55 and has an awesome confo as we go!

My dad always told me that I should work harder on the farm instead of the weight room, smarter and more productive choice. Now that he is retired, he enjoys some of those weights I have left behind, I catch him working out some times. His excused is that just to keep up that muscle mass he figured he better keep working them some ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D He is lighter now than he when he graduated high school and he was never by any means over weight at any point in his life.