Keeping the Badgers Competitive

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, January 13, 2016, 12:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 16, 2016, 09:28:55 AM

My biggest concern in Askren as a head coach is his unique style. Some of the stuff he pulls of with success on the mat, would be disaster if others attempted it. Or maybe not? I'm all for bringing into the program as many WI wrestling legends as possible, I'm sick of the Badgers losing them.

I do not think that would be an issue. When I have went to his coaching clinics he has never taught any of that. I really like his ideas on how to wrestle. One thing he talks about a lot is not using a one size fits all approach. Wrestlers are all built differently both physically and mentally and as a coach you have to unlock what will work for each individual. He was very unconventional and took that style to tremendous success but he is the first guy to tell you that is not for everyone.

I was one of those guys who really did not care for some of his actions in HS especially with the deal with Levesseur at Bi-State but after I met him, got to talk to him, and see him in action. I think he is a really great guy. Also a very smart guy who "gets it". I think he could coach at any level he wanted, anywhere he wanted, and have success. 

All that being said I have no idea if he has any interest in returning to coach college.

stp

Quote from: wrestle84 on January 16, 2016, 09:00:18 AM
How about hiring Jeff Jordan as long as he brings the family with. That should make them competitive for a while.

Not a chance.  Very doubtful he wants anything to do with coaching college and dealing with the politics again.     

Maybe hire Bo after he graduates....
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

BuckyMatt

I've been a big Barry supporter in the past...

However.....

Getting Dominated in your neutral ties has to improve..

Getting DOMINATED when you are bottom has to improve ..

Appearing noticeably smaller and less muscular than your opponents has to improve..

Appearing noticeably out of shape has to improve..

The same old same old excuses have to improve ..

stp

If anyone interested in a fun dual-  Two Nationally ranked teams #7 St. Ed's battles #5 Graham from the Eagles nest in Lakewood.

UW recruit Justin Stickley wrestles at the 37 minute mark.  Following match at 126 has two state champs facing each other, D1 vs. D2. 

http://www.stedwardeagles.com/#!live-broadcast/c1kuz

stp

Another point to consider-  NCAA wrestling has only had one dozen different team champions in their entire history, with tOSU last year becoming #12.

The best of the best need to have a good reason to wrestle at Madison. 

stp

Quote from: forum in OhioWould be great to see Isaac Jordan and Ryan Taylor use their graduate transfer and compete for a season at tOSU.  That would legitimize the 133lb and 165lb weight class for the Buckeyes continued run at multiple National  Championships
125: Tomasello
133: Ryan Taylor
141: Ke-Shawn Hayes
149: Micah Jordan
157: Jake Ryan
165: Isaac Jordan
174: Bo Jordan
184: Myles Martin
197: Kollin Moore
Hwt: Kyle Snyder

Just a dream world here in Ohio....

wrestlingshoes

Well hopefully next year Barry can get the AD to schedule like Augsburg so they can get 2 wins in 2016-17. Oh wait on second thought we may not win that one either ::)

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: stp on January 17, 2016, 07:26:37 AM
If anyone interested in a fun dual-  Two Nationally ranked teams #7 St. Ed's battles #5 Graham from the Eagles nest in Lakewood.

UW recruit Justin Stickley wrestles at the 37 minute mark.  Following match at 126 has two state champs facing each other, D1 vs. D2. 

http://www.stedwardeagles.com/#!live-broadcast/c1kuz

The link updates to other St Ed's events.  What year is Justin Stickley?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

stp

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 22, 2016, 11:21:25 PM

The link updates to other St Ed's events.  What year is Justin Stickley?

Yea it's no longer showing the recorded dual.  I'll try finding it online and available. 

Justin is a Senior.