Keeping the Badgers Competitive

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, January 13, 2016, 12:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 14, 2016, 10:30:23 AM
Remember when the Badgers had a dual during the time between the placing matches and the finals at high school state or was it before the semi on Friday afternoon/night?

I believe the Badgers won that dual with a pin from Massey at the time.

Why in the world wouldnt they do that again? Seems so simple and so easy to make happen.

Stuff like this is great!

Spartan

People need to remember the communication part goes both ways. Every time I have reached out to the Badger coaching staff, they have helped in any way they could. So while they could reach out to state coaches, the coaches around the state can contact them also with their needs and get them involved with programs around the state.

crossface21

Quote from: Spartan on January 14, 2016, 11:47:31 AM
People need to remember the communication part goes both ways. Every time I have reached out to the Badger coaching staff, they have helped in any way they could. So while they could reach out to state coaches, the coaches around the state can contact them also with their needs and get them involved with programs around the state.

Agree with this. Whenever I have emailed and asked for a team poster, they've sent it with signatures from the staff wishing best of luck for the season. It's not a lot, but it's a little something that raises the awareness of the UW program.

3wrestle

Quote from: kluevercoach on January 14, 2016, 09:35:18 AM
I just want to people to know what are some of the things the Badger coaches have done.
1) Started the Wisconsin RTC. Great opportunity if you qualified for it. Practice with the coaches and Badgers.
2) RTC camp Memorial day weekend. Several quality wrestlers attended. Lee Kemp was also at the camp.
3) USA Wrestling 2020/Cadet World Team Camp. Once again great for those that qualified to attend.
4) Kyle and Trevor coaching on the WWF Cadet and Junior Freestyle staff. They attended several practices, June/July camp and Fargo.

These are all great opportunities.
Not sure what you need to do to get invited to say #2 but would be good for wrestlers around the state to know which opportunities they can take part in
#3 is an excellent camp experience. - the mat.com has info and what you need to do to attend

kluevercoach

3wrestle anyone that is a member of the Wisconsin RTC was invited. Mitch Hull would be the contact person for anything with the RTC. Hope wrestlers take advantage of that great program.

LaValle

Quote from: 3wrestle on January 14, 2016, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: kluevercoach on January 14, 2016, 09:35:18 AM
I just want to people to know what are some of the things the Badger coaches have done.
1) Started the Wisconsin RTC. Great opportunity if you qualified for it. Practice with the coaches and Badgers.
2) RTC camp Memorial day weekend. Several quality wrestlers attended. Lee Kemp was also at the camp.
3) USA Wrestling 2020/Cadet World Team Camp. Once again great for those that qualified to attend.
4) Kyle and Trevor coaching on the WWF Cadet and Junior Freestyle staff. They attended several practices, June/July camp and Fargo.

These are all great opportunities.
Not sure what you need to do to get invited to say #2 but would be good for wrestlers around the state to know which opportunities they can take part in
#3 is an excellent camp experience. - the mat.com has info and what you need to do to attend

Maybe Tom can help with the broken link
http://wiwrestling.info/index.php?topic=42094.0

Was communicated a couple of times through Tuesdays with Barry and emails to Wisconsin HS Coaches

Wisconsin Wrestling Coaches:

It has been a couple weeks since we have communicated with you. Our official season is over and though we did not place as high as we were capable of at the NCAA Championships, we have three returning All-Americans (Ryan Taylor, Zeke Jordan and Connor Medbery) who will be leading the Badgers next season. Our two seniors Timmy McCall and Frank Cousins came close to earning All-American status as well. Timmy came a match short without being able to wrestle since the Big Tens with a hamstring tear. Ricky Robertson also had a great year for a freshman.

It may be a different stage from the State Championships to the NCAA Championships, but outside that everything else is the same. There are a lot more lows than highs at these events as a small percentage of individuals make the podium. An even smaller percentage win it all. This is what makes wrestling (and sports in general) so great as there are no guarantees that you will reach your goal, even if you do everything right. There is one guarantee -- if you don't make the commitment it won't happen. Even with the lows it is still worth the effort as very few individuals will even attempt this journey!

The following are reminders of things we have brought to your attention with past e-mails.

RTC-The Regional Training Center is now hosting practice on Monday's and Thursday's from 6-7:30pm in the Badger Wrestling room. Those individuals that meet the athletic criteria (listed at the bottom of the e-mail) and have their current USA Wrestling athlete membership are allowed to participate at no additional cost. The forms attached are required to be filled out before anyone can practice.

WTT-The Senior Freestyle World Team Trials will take place on June 13-14. The Junior Freestyle Trials are June 12. It is likely we will not be hosting the World Team Trails again for a few years. This is a great opportunity to have your athletes see Burroughs, Taylor, Varner, Dlagnev, Dake, Scott, Graff and others compete to represent the USA in the World Championships. Team/Group discounts of 50% off General Admission tickets can be purchased by contacting Madison Ticket Agency at 608 267 3995. VIP, Reserved and General Admission tickets can be purchased at ticketmaster.com. Search for Coliseum at Alliant Energy Center. For more event, schedule and hotel information go to www.theworldteamtrials.com

BWC-We will be hosting three Badger Wrestling Camps in June. The Badger Team Camp will be June 14-17 and will include the opportunity to watch the World Team Trials. We will also host two technique camps on June 24-27 and June 28-July 1. The technique camps are limited to 40 participants in each session to insure we will be able to work with each camper individually. Go to uwcamps.com/wrestling to get more information or to register.  The camp brochure is also attached. Please provide this information to your athletes. Supporting the camps is a big help to our program and part of our High Performance Plan to success. Something we plan to share with you this coming year. If you can't attend the camps we have then please support the camps the other college coaches in Wisconsin provide. This is one thing that doesn't cost extra but will help wrestling here.

We will continue to send out info during the offseason. As always, please contact us if there is something we can do to help.

Badger Coaching Staff

High School athlete must live within 250 miles and have met at least one of the following criteria to participate in a RTC practice:
Placed top 8 at FILA Junior National Championship
Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship
Placed top 8 at USAW Cadet National Championship
Placed top 4 in the High School State Championship
Placed top 4 at the Prep National Championships
Placed top 4 at USAW State Junior freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
Placed top 4 at USAW State Cadet freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

MarkK

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 14, 2016, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on January 14, 2016, 12:00:19 PM
Quote from: Spartan on January 14, 2016, 11:47:31 AM

Agree with this. Whenever I have emailed and asked for a team poster, they've sent it with signatures from the staff wishing best of luck for the season. It's not a lot, but it's a little something that raises the awareness of the UW program.

I sent an email to Barry Alvarez weeks ago detailing a list of concerns I have with the wrestling program. His response: *crickets*

Maybe you shouldn't have signed it "the Angry Fish"
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

stp

I sent an email to Barry Alvarez weeks ago detailing a list of concerns I have with the wrestling program. His response: *crickets*

Included in your email did you have details how to fix the wrestling program, or only concerns? 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Lumpy

We need to bring in younger nationally successful coaches. Mark Perry was a great get for Illinois. We need somebody along those lines. Maybe somebody who has wrestled internationally. Give more champion caliber wrestlers an incentive to go here.
-Matt S

ChargerDad

The only flaw I saw with this post was that the subject should have been "Making the Badgers Competitive", not keeping.. ;-)  I have never been a fan of the "fire the coach" thought process, but obviously something here is not working..  not keeping in state talent (if your son was a stud in stater would you recommend him stay home??), not getting significant out of state talent..  Scheduling Whitewater as the only non-conference home opponent??  In hind site, it may end up being the only dual they win this year.  It's not like we are losing, but being competitive.  We are getting destroyed, giving up bonus points up and down the lineup.  A single wrestler being our hope of points in most duals.  We could very well go winless against D1 competition this year.  This program is quickly headed down to join Michigan State in the toilet bowl of the B1G conference unless there is a significant shakeup of some kind.

Big Steve

Good thread!
Lots of good ideas. I hope someone takes note and acts on these things.
The Ornery Pirahna sure is a mild tempered, thinker in the New Year.

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 15, 2016, 11:58:26 AM

I made some suggestions. Voiced concerns about the future of the program ect. My next email to the Barry's will be to challenge them to a exhibition match. Along with my official training video.

Doubt that BA would be too difficult.  A simple foot sweep would get that weeble wobble rolling.    My guess, both Barry's ride off into the sunset together on their retirement within a couple years...
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Barou

Quote from: stp on January 15, 2016, 09:46:30 AM

Included in your email did you have details how to fix the wrestling program, or only concerns? 

Why does he have to provide details to fix the wrestling program?  Can't a knowledgeable fan be critical of the program they cheer for?  I'm in the group that believes UW Wrestling has the resources and potential to be more successful than it has been in the last 20 years.  I know I'm certainly not the guy for the job but I can start with a list of candidates that will do better.  I'd start it with Ben Askren.  More than confident that he can achieve more than an 18th place national average....at the least.  I'd go so far as to say he would maintain a top 10 average and every once in a while have a team in the title mix like Missouri and Cornell.
JHI Mafia

Rat

Quote from: Josh Crass on January 16, 2016, 08:44:33 AM
I think Ben or for that matter almost anyone can do as well or better than Barry Davis. I think it would be really funny if Ben replaced Barry since Barry didn't offer him after hs and didn't like his "flash" or his showmanship. How'd that work out? As long as BD is head of the program, it will be like watching a JV team compete in big ten.
[/quote

+1000

wrestle84

How about hiring Jeff Jordan as long as he brings the family with. That should make them competitive for a while.