WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: wraslfan on January 13, 2016, 08:07:17 AM
Quote from: CLC FAN on January 12, 2016, 08:20:51 PM
I don't know... I still think we as a culture look for reasons to get upset.  These are not WIAA "rules" in the sense that violating them will get you (or your team or your school) some kind of punishment.  These are WIAA guidelines for how spectators should behave.  I don't think there is really any desire or ability by the WIAA to "enforce" them.  It is your school's choice whether they adopt and enforce them.  It is your choice whether you accept and abide by them. 

The young lady from Hilbert seems an entirely separate issue... but again we all look to get as upset as possible about it.

I wonder if those of us that complain about participation being low ever stop to think what this sounds like to a 14 year old who is on the fence about joining an activity?  "I want to join basketball... I'm not vey good... and all the adults in my life think my peers have an inalienable right to chant "airball" at me when I screw up."

I must not be thick-skinned enough I guess.
Actually it's the WIAA and (democrat voting) parents that are looking for something to be upset about. Don't play basketball, or any sport if you will be offended by a completely harmless chant. I have no problem with that, I won't miss you if you don't play...nor will anyone else but your sensitive Mommy and Daddy. I don't care about your delicate ego. Grow up. Kids wouldn't even know to be "offended" by it if they weren't taught to be "offended" by the same idiots that created this embarrassment.       

really? serious? wow!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

If an athlete can't take some ribbing by the opposing team's fans then how they heck can they handle getting on the bus after the game/match is over and the ref has declared you to be the loser!  Every competition makes somebody a LOSER! Every period, every play there is a winner and a loser!  Deal with it and learn from it.  And the truth is every athlete does.  They lost but internally they do not feel like a loser.  And if they do then they better get over that or life is going to beat them down.

If these cheers are a form of bullying than we can call "life" a bully because it is not going to make everyone a winner.

Should we stop raising the winner's hand after the match.  I mean doesn't that blatantly show that we are celebrating the winner and making sure everyone else knows the other wrestler is a loser?

I think facing that adversity and pressure and putting yourself on the line is what makes athletes more successful in many aspects of life.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

They are not saying you can't cheer for your team.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

Doc.."If an athlete can't take some ribbing by the opposing team's fans then how they heck can they handle getting on the bus after the game/match is over and the ref has declared you to be the loser!  Every competition makes somebody a LOSER! Every period, every play there is a winner and a loser!  Deal with it and learn from it.  And the truth is every athlete does.  They lost but internally they do not feel like a loser.  And if they do then they better get over that or life is going to beat them down.

If these cheers are a form of bullying than we can call "life" a bully because it is not going to make everyone a winner.

Should we stop raising the winner's hand after the match.  I mean doesn't that blatantly show that we are celebrating the winner and making sure everyone else knows the other wrestler is a loser?

I think facing that adversity and pressure and putting yourself on the line is what makes athletes more successful in many aspects of life."

I don't see how you are making this kind of extrapolation here.  Games are still going to be won and lost.  You can still cheer for your team.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imnofish

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 13, 2016, 10:59:14 AM
If an athlete can't take some ribbing by the opposing team's fans then how they heck can they handle getting on the bus after the game/match is over and the ref has declared you to be the loser!  Every competition makes somebody a LOSER! Every period, every play there is a winner and a loser!  Deal with it and learn from it.  And the truth is every athlete does.  They lost but internally they do not feel like a loser.  And if they do then they better get over that or life is going to beat them down.

Should we stop raising the winner's hand after the match.  I mean doesn't that blatantly show that we are celebrating the winner and making sure everyone else knows the other wrestler is a loser?

I think facing that adversity and pressure and putting yourself on the line is what makes athletes more successful in many aspects of life.

I think the issue is what the students are learning as fans.  A loss of civility and respect in our society should be a concern for school personnel.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

H. Hogan

The Ashwaubenon student section sat through last night basketball game with duct tape over their mouths.
I love it.

crossface21

Quote from: H. Hogan on January 13, 2016, 11:07:01 AM
The Ashwaubenon student section sat through last night basketball game with duct tape over their mouths.
I love it.

That's fantastic. I'm actually looking forward to hearing some of the stories about how students sections want to protest this in the next couple weeks. Kids can get pretty creative.

imnofish

Quote from: crossface21 on January 13, 2016, 11:09:24 AM
I love it.

That's fantastic. I'm actually looking forward to hearing some of the stories about how students sections want to protest this in the next couple weeks. Kids can get pretty creative.

Problem solved!  Bet the duct tape lobby was behind this movement.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

DocWrestling

"I think the issue is what the students are learning as fans."

Are they learning something different than past generations learned?  I agree there is a lack of respect for adults by many these days that never used to exist and there are many reasons for this- mostly by taking away parental and teacher rights to discipline or demand that respect.  Society is getting less civil and I think that stems from social media and anonymous postings or posting and not having any real idea who is reading it or seeing their reaction.

But these cheers specifically mentioned by the WIAA have done no harm to anyone.  Again, I want to see the complaints the WIAA was receiving on these issues from member schools?  They serve the schools, not the parents, not even the athletes, etc.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imnofish

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 13, 2016, 11:10:32 AM
Quote from: imnofish on January 13, 2016, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 13, 2016, 10:59:14 AM

I think the issue is what the students are learning as fans.  A loss of civility and respect in our society should be a concern for school personnel.  

I've been to hundreds of wrestling events over the years. I can only think of one time where I thought the crowd atmosphere "crossed the line". Although, I've never been accused of having a delicate sensibility.  

Yes, I've witnessed a few of those, too.  Once, at Regionals, our kid was headbutted by another kid and literally knocked out.  A fan literally ran up to the edge of the mat and cheered the kid for the head butt; subsequently cheering for him to "do it again."  Back then, no repercussions for his actions.  This was a great example for all those student athletes and student fans to follow, eh?

imnofish

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 13, 2016, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: imnofish on January 13, 2016, 11:11:15 AM
Quote from: crossface21 on January 13, 2016, 11:09:24 AM
I love it.

Problem solved!  Bet the duct tape lobby was behind this movement.   ;)

The duct tape lobby.....With their hidden hippie agenda.

Red Green is a commie agitator.   ;D   ;)

aarons23

People are offended by too many things.....this is going to far....let the students have fun, cheer for their team and show school spirit.....this nit picking directive from the WIAA is out of line......then to add in they are monitoring high school kids twitter.....get real...thats a parental issue not a WIAA.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

H. Hogan

WIAA just sent out a retraction .

check out @wiaawi on twitter

maggie

ahhh Fan, I'm a DEM and i was upset as were Many, Many other DEM Parents I Personally know about this new rule, so that makes your post Nothing but an ""AIR BALL!"" :D
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Ghetto

I agree that there have been things done in the stands that have been way over the top that have not been dealt with, and that's an issue. But it's a school issue that should be handled in that instance, not mandated from above.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove