WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

I don't know... I still think we as a culture look for reasons to get upset.  These are not WIAA "rules" in the sense that violating them will get you (or your team or your school) some kind of punishment.  These are WIAA guidelines for how spectators should behave.  I don't think there is really any desire or ability by the WIAA to "enforce" them.  It is your school's choice whether they adopt and enforce them.  It is your choice whether you accept and abide by them. 

The young lady from Hilbert seems an entirely separate issue... but again we all look to get as upset as possible about it.

I wonder if those of us that complain about participation being low ever stop to think what this sounds like to a 14 year old who is on the fence about joining an activity?  "I want to join basketball... I'm not vey good... and all the adults in my life think my peers have an inalienable right to chant "airball" at me when I screw up."

I must not be thick-skinned enough I guess.

wraslfan

Quote from: CLC FAN on January 12, 2016, 08:20:51 PM
I don't know... I still think we as a culture look for reasons to get upset.  These are not WIAA "rules" in the sense that violating them will get you (or your team or your school) some kind of punishment.  These are WIAA guidelines for how spectators should behave.  I don't think there is really any desire or ability by the WIAA to "enforce" them.  It is your school's choice whether they adopt and enforce them.  It is your choice whether you accept and abide by them. 

The young lady from Hilbert seems an entirely separate issue... but again we all look to get as upset as possible about it.

I wonder if those of us that complain about participation being low ever stop to think what this sounds like to a 14 year old who is on the fence about joining an activity?  "I want to join basketball... I'm not vey good... and all the adults in my life think my peers have an inalienable right to chant "airball" at me when I screw up."

Actually it's the WIAA and (democrat voting) parents that are looking for something to be upset about. Don't play basketball, or any sport if you will be offended by a completely harmless chant. I have no problem with that, I won't miss you if you don't play...nor will anyone else but your sensitive Mommy and Daddy. I don't care about your delicate ego. Grow up. Kids wouldn't even know to be "offended" by it if they weren't taught to be "offended" by the same idiots that created this embarrassment.       

lizard king

This was actually a WIAA reminder for up coming tournament games, that is it.  It is up to schools to decide how and if they find chants unacceptable. Talk to you school administration.

MarkK

We've got spirit yes we do, we'll hold our taunts how about you?

De - fense De - fense -   an obviously political chant that needs to be barred from every sport.  
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Asst. Coach

Someone should invite Robin Ficker to your next meet and see what the WIAA thinks  ;D
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.

DocWrestling

Quote from: lizard king on January 13, 2016, 08:20:44 AM
This was actually a WIAA reminder for up coming tournament games, that is it.  It is up to schools to decide how and if they find chants unacceptable. Talk to you school administration.

This is true but it was a way of strong arming school administrations into enforcing these things more.  Luckily I think it backfired and now school administrations have seen the public backlash and will feel more strongly that they do not need to worry about it.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

lizard king

If your being strong armed that easily, maybe you should not be in administration.   The WIAA may feel that way, but the administrators, many of them do as well, and they enforce it.    I, IN NO WAY, support racist, or sexist type chants, but any sports related chants at the varsity level, go for it.  That is part of why I liked playing.

pin always

At least the basketball players have a chance after an airball to come back down the court, and redeem themselves with a great play. If you are winning by 8, get caught in a headsteal, get pinned, half of the gym goes crazy, and you are done for the night. That's one thing I've always said about wrestling, one mistake and it can be over quickly.
"The only way he can beat you is by going big, WATCH YOUR HEAD!!!"

Ghetto

Wraslfan, miss the political threads?  ::)
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

crossface21

Quote from: wraslfan on January 13, 2016, 08:07:17 AM

Actually it's the WIAA and (democrat voting) parents that are looking for something to be upset about. Don't play basketball, or any sport if you will be offended by a completely harmless chant. I have no problem with that, I won't miss you if you don't play...nor will anyone else but your sensitive Mommy and Daddy. I don't care about your delicate ego. Grow up. Kids wouldn't even know to be "offended" by it if they weren't taught to be "offended" by the same idiots that created this embarrassment.       

This is the wrestling forum. Stop trying to toss your political agenda into the argument. I come here to get away from all that BS.

MNbadger

"Actually it's the WIAA and (democrat voting)"  (absolutely no reason to make this claim)

Hmmm, supposedly no political stuff.  Now, someone will be accused of being too thin skinned or "not able to take a joke" or "too sensitive".
All this after they get their jab in.

To play devil's advocate... many think it is ok to yell "air ball".  How different is that than simply yelling "loser"?
I am guessing most would be ok with the former but not the latter.  There is no really good reason for distiction between the two.  The purpose of both is the same.  Something to think about.  We basically get down to splitting hairs as to what is ok or not ok. 
The WIAA is not banning cheering for your team.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Ivan Stankowski

I guess some see it as Bullying  ???

DarkKnight

Can you cheer on your team?? Can you clap and say great job and cheer loudly after winning without hurting the losers feelings??

Its part of the game...I'm not sure I understand. Its the teammates job and the coaches job to get their teammate/player back in it mentally after a bad play/air ball.

I kinda understand it, but we'll see how fans get around the rules.

imnofish

Quote from: wraslfan on January 13, 2016, 08:07:17 AM

Please tell us how you know with absolute certainty how all these people are voting.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

Great post and absolutely right.  As for the young lady's suspension, maybe this had something to do with it? ...Gehl's tweet, which contained profanity directed toward the WIAA...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!