Ex Badger- Donny Pritzlaff

Started by leg turk, January 07, 2016, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: leg turk on January 10, 2016, 09:12:17 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 10, 2016, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: Micah on January 10, 2016, 01:56:42 PM

Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

Why would you not expect Rutgers to be really good? As soon as they announced they were coming to the Big Ten I expected them to have a nice surge. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York are HS wrestling hot beds and Rutgers is located in a very good spot.

As far as Donny, I know him a little bit and I think he is great guy. His passion for the sport and the athletes he coaches is fantastic and great for the sport. However the question does have to be asked of why does he continues to make lateral moves. If I am not mistaken did he not go to MI to be the head coach in waiting? If so why was he only there for 3 years? Is it possible that he wears out his welcome with the head coach and the administration? I do not know the answer I am just asking the question.

Did you read the article.

I did

lizard king

A lot of talk about depth?  Can you really have depth, especially if your starting ten are not ranked?  If you have one good guy at each wait and then you have red shirts to replace seniors and recruit to replace juniors, isn't that about all you can do?  That is why it is nice to get WI kids to come and be able to step in when/where you need them.

Micah

Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

Why would you not expect Rutgers to be really good? As soon as they announced they were coming to the Big Ten I expected them to have a nice surge. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York are HS wrestling hot beds and Rutgers is located in a very good spot.

As far as Donny, I know him a little bit and I think he is great guy. His passion for the sport and the athletes he coaches is fantastic and great for the sport. However the question does have to be asked of why does he continues to make lateral moves. If I am not mistaken did he not go to MI to be the head coach in waiting? If so why was he only there for 3 years? Is it possible that he wears out his welcome with the head coach and the administration? I do not know the answer I am just asking the question.

What makes you think joining the B10 would automatically send them on a rise?  It has not done much for Maryland.  Indiana, Purdue, and MSU have been in the B10 forever and most years would not compete in the MAC.  That talent has always been there but had not been taken advantage of til recently.  I don't think it has anything to do with joining the B10.  Plenty of East coast teams are competitive and not in the B10. 

I have no idea why he only stays 3 years and leaves and honestly don't care.  I was just pointing out that he makes programs better.  WI finished last in B10 when he left because all his recruits also left.

Hammer, I do agree SB has helped MI and it was not all DP.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Micah on January 11, 2016, 09:03:57 AM

What makes you think joining the B10 would automatically send them on a rise?  It has not done much for Maryland.  Indiana, Purdue, and MSU have been in the B10 forever and most years would not compete in the MAC.  That talent has always been there but had not been taken advantage of til recently.  I don't think it has anything to do with joining the B10.  Plenty of East coast teams are competitive and not in the B10. 

I have no idea why he only stays 3 years and leaves and honestly don't care.  I was just pointing out that he makes programs better.  WI finished last in B10 when he left because all his recruits also left.

To reiterate, the only recruit that left that could have wrestled the year after DP was Cody Caldwell. And he would have redshirted. The Olympic redshirts and Olympic Training Center attendees were not on the roster that year. 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

vsmf2010

Quote from: Micah on January 11, 2016, 09:03:57 AM

As I stated because of their location and joining the big ten I expected them to make a really nice surge. Tons of talent right in their back yard. Proximity to talent and joining the best wrestling conference seemed to me like a recipe to be really good.

Micah

I think conference affiliation has a lot less to do with it and more about the coaching.  PSU was in the B10 under Sunderland and were just a little better than the Badgers are now.  Fire him bring in Cael and boom PSU starts wrecking people.  All about the coaching.

EIWA is a good conference and could compete with B10.  I don't think the conference a team competes in is that big of a difference maker for a recruit.  If it was there would not be 3 MAC teams ranked ahead of WI. 

I think it could help if a program is suddenly given more money and better facilities due to conference affiliation.  But we are talking wrestling here and we all know how athletic depts. like to give wrestling money.

hammen

Bourmet was a big reason why Donny came to UW.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Did Hammen just say that Barry is NOT the only reason wrestlers go to UW

stbird

Prtizlaff was going home, that's why he went to Rutgers.  Michigan move was probably just to get the heck out of Madison and they had a job opening.

Ivan Stankowski

How much influence did Jared Fryar have in the room? I keep hearing everything about Donny but nothing about Fryar. Didn't Fryar set up and run most of the practices? Asking anyone who might have some information on this. Hammen?