Ex Badger- Donny Pritzlaff

Started by leg turk, January 07, 2016, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Brett Favre on January 10, 2016, 11:00:21 AM
Hammen, don't comment about Donny. Remember, you're still in love with Barry

It's ok for Hammen to Hijack a thread, but heaven's don't say anything he doesn't agree with.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 10, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 10, 2016, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: Micah on January 10, 2016, 01:56:42 PM
I think a lot of people attribute where MI is now partially to Donny.  That program was on a downturn and now they have group of good young wrestlers.  You can't use results from his first year there it takes 2-3 years to build something up.

I guess you can look at a guys first year at a program and say see the results aren't good and statistically you are right.  Even though every knows his recruits and wrestlers have not hit the lineup yet.

I am not a Donny lover and don't really care where he coaches.  But to say everywhere he goes those programs don't get better is just plain false.

Wisconsin- best years under Barry were when Donny was an assistant.
Michigan - was trending towards bottom of B10 before Donny, he is there three years and now top 5 in B10 and they are loaded with lots of underclassmen.
Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

One thing in common at each stop is Donny.  Not to admit it is being obtuse.

I know Barry and Donny had a huge falling out and no matter what side you pick one has to admit Donny has a positive influence everywhere he goes.

The season after Donny left we finished last in the Big Ten.  None of his recruits other than Cody Caldwell would have wrestled for the Badgers that year, and Caldwell would have redshirted.  I think it is also fair to say Pritzlaff contributed to the lack of depth we had on that team.  Ben Jordan, Cole Schmitt, and Cole Tobin were the only National Qualifiers. To pretend everything he did was great is also false.

The overall depth we have on this year's roster in another Olympic year 4 years later is much stronger.

Howe and Rutt transferred/defected. Kinda blows up your theory doesn't it. McCauley bailed also. Why did these wrestlers make that decision? Because DP was no longer part of the program.  

We all know who stayed/who left, etc.  Compare the rosters for the 2011-12 season and the 2015-16 season. Pritzlaff played a big part of not recruiting enough depth.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 10, 2016, 03:39:39 PM
Lol @ Wisconsin wrestling fan attempting to discredit St. Donny.

And congratulations to you for discrediting Barry, Trevor, and Kyle every chance you get and being a consistent negative voice.
Kirk Nelson

hammen

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 10, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

It's ok for Hammen to Hijack a thread, but heaven's don't say anything he doesn't agree with.

The topic is about Donny. Someone is a little butt hurt for getting called out.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: hammen on January 10, 2016, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on January 10, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

The topic is about Donny. Someone is a little butt hurt for getting called out.

Nope not at all, 4 some reason you think this is your personal forum, I will continue to call it as I see it and call you out when you do exactly the same things other poster do but for some reason it is ok 4 you

hammen

I called you out for being off topic. I discussed Donny in these posts, which evidently is the topic. Interesting concept, staying on topic. Now you're getting me off topic like a troll. Now to get back on. Donny is a good dude.

Ivan Stankowski

Never been a troll. Yes he is and I am sure plenty of former BD athletes think BD is as well, I am entitled to my opinion as well.

I am done with this bantering, good luck to all the Badgers this year!!

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 10, 2016, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 10, 2016, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 10, 2016, 03:39:39 PM
Lol @ Wisconsin wrestling fan attempting to discredit St. Donny.

And congratulations to you for discrediting Barry, Trevor, and Kyle every chance you get and being a consistent negative voice.

I have actual facts Amigo? Facts that support the Badgers under Davis, as being mediocre at best. Facts also support St.Donny as being one heck of an assistant coach. Again, we both want the same thing. I get it. Your pals with good ole' Uncle Barry. I have no such relationship with the man. Therefore I judge his job performance based on actual data that exists. Not how I feel for him personally. Donny Pritzlaff is a heck of a coach. You're attempt to discredit his accomplishments are beneath you.

We both know the facts.  We clearly disagree on the interpretation of those facts !  ;D
Kirk Nelson

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Wi wrestling fan. You say this years team has depth. What the heck are you talking about.
Most of our starters will finish in the bottom half of the big ten which means their backups would finish even lower.
The only depth this team has is how close to the bottom they will finish. They will be deep in the standings

Numbers

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 10, 2016, 03:41:59 PM
We all know who stayed/who left, etc.  Compare the rosters for the 2011-12 season and the 2015-16 season. Pritzlaff played a big part of not recruiting enough depth.

What?  Not enough depth?

The 2011-12 team results without Howe, Rutt, and Graff on ORS, also one of the top recruiting classes in the country was signed to redshirt that year WITH A PLAN for a 2012-13 NCAA trophy run.  Of course this did not happen since DP departed.  Almost that whole recruiting class never came.  Bo Jordan even mentioned last year that Wisconsin was the plan for the Jordans now at Ohio State as well until the DP fallout.

2015-16 Medberry and JT on ORS (not nearly as many NCAA points sitting out as 4 years earlier).

As far as 2015-16 compared to four years ago, both cycles now have Olympic redshirts wrestlers that don't return to wrestle for the Badgers.

Every program DP has been associated with has improved by a wide margin within a few years of his arrival.  The numbers don't lie.  It might not be all DP but with a three college program track record developing, pretty sure this is something about DP's ability to recruit and coach.  Don't see how DP is anything but an asset for any D1 wrestling program.  But as others have pointed out, what could have been did not and will not happen with DP.  We can just hope the Badgers get back to that level at some point in the future.  When the Wicks finally wear the W (assume they redshirt next year), there will not be Taylor, Jordan, and Medbery on the team so I think there is some big holes to fill yet.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Brett Favre on January 10, 2016, 04:51:38 PM
Wi wrestling fan. You say this years team has depth. What the heck are you talking about.
Most of our starters will finish in the bottom half of the big ten which means their backups would finish even lower.
The only depth this team has is how close to the bottom they will finish. They will be deep in the standings

We scored 9 points at the Big Ten tournament the year after Donny Pritzlaff left.
Kirk Nelson

billymurphy

When Pritzlaff was at Wisconsin the team was visible better.
If you went to the wrestling matches in person, there was no doubt the team
was vastly better with him there.   
It was a huge blow for Wisconsin to see him go, short term and long term and
a darn shame for the current guys on the team to miss out on his coaching.
Circle the Rutgers match on the calendar.

vsmf2010

Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

Why would you not expect Rutgers to be really good? As soon as they announced they were coming to the Big Ten I expected them to have a nice surge. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York are HS wrestling hot beds and Rutgers is located in a very good spot.

As far as Donny, I know him a little bit and I think he is great guy. His passion for the sport and the athletes he coaches is fantastic and great for the sport. However the question does have to be asked of why does he continues to make lateral moves. If I am not mistaken did he not go to MI to be the head coach in waiting? If so why was he only there for 3 years? Is it possible that he wears out his welcome with the head coach and the administration? I do not know the answer I am just asking the question.

leg turk

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 10, 2016, 05:58:26 PM

Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

Why would you not expect Rutgers to be really good? As soon as they announced they were coming to the Big Ten I expected them to have a nice surge. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York are HS wrestling hot beds and Rutgers is located in a very good spot.

As far as Donny, I know him a little bit and I think he is great guy. His passion for the sport and the athletes he coaches is fantastic and great for the sport. However the question does have to be asked of why does he continues to make lateral moves. If I am not mistaken did he not go to MI to be the head coach in waiting? If so why was he only there for 3 years? Is it possible that he wears out his welcome with the head coach and the administration? I do not know the answer I am just asking the question.

Did you read the article.

Numbers

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 10, 2016, 05:58:26 PM

Good question.  I sure don't know the answer.  We should know the answer in the next 3-4 years. 

I'll guess Donny stays at Rutgers unless another school makes a huge offer for him to be a head coach.