Ex Badger- Donny Pritzlaff

Started by leg turk, January 07, 2016, 05:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

This looks like it will be Barry's chance to prove to everyone that he is a better coach and recruiter than
Pritzlaff.  Good article.

leg turk

Do we wrestle Rutgers at home this year?

leg turk

Michigan beats Ohio St today, more St Donny's recruits coming through.

hammen

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Hammen, don't comment about Donny. Remember, you're still in love with Barry

hammen

Just looking for some insight on those in love with Donny

Micah

Hammen, it has to do with his success.  Everywhere he goes teams are successful, this cannot be denied.  People get upset when they see teams having success they think their team could have if they still had that player/coach.

If the teams stunk it up at all his stops nobody would care.

I also think the way things went down between Barry and Donny play a role. 

hammen

What success? Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure during his 3 year stint at Michigan they team finished behind Wisconsin at the NCAAs in 2 out of the 3 years, and never had a top 10 finish. And certainly last year Wisconsin finished way ahead of Rutgers.

hammen

Just want it to be said that I respect the inappropriate term3 out of Donny, and he is most certainly the one person I would want on my side in a fight to the death. He cares as much as anyone about his guys, and would take a bullet for them. Coaches and mentors with a lot of passion, and wants what's best for his guys. A lot of coaches have those same attributes, they just deliver it in different ways that may not be as visible to the public.

dad 2 5

Micah

I think a lot of people attribute where MI is now partially to Donny.  That program was on a downturn and now they have group of good young wrestlers.  You can't use results from his first year there it takes 2-3 years to build something up.

I guess you can look at a guys first year at a program and say see the results aren't good and statistically you are right.  Even though every knows his recruits and wrestlers have not hit the lineup yet.

I am not a Donny lover and don't really care where he coaches.  But to say everywhere he goes those programs don't get better is just plain false.

Wisconsin- best years under Barry were when Donny was an assistant.
Michigan - was trending towards bottom of B10 before Donny, he is there three years and now top 5 in B10 and they are loaded with lots of underclassmen.
Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

One thing in common at each stop is Donny.  Not to admit it is being obtuse.

I know Barry and Donny had a huge falling out and no matter what side you pick one has to admit Donny has a positive influence everywhere he goes.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Micah on January 10, 2016, 01:56:42 PM
I think a lot of people attribute where MI is now partially to Donny.  That program was on a downturn and now they have group of good young wrestlers.  You can't use results from his first year there it takes 2-3 years to build something up.

I guess you can look at a guys first year at a program and say see the results aren't good and statistically you are right.  Even though every knows his recruits and wrestlers have not hit the lineup yet.

I am not a Donny lover and don't really care where he coaches.  But to say everywhere he goes those programs don't get better is just plain false.

Michigan - was trending towards bottom of B10 before Donny, he is there three years and now top 5 in B10 and they are loaded with lots of underclassmen.
Rutgers - never thought I would see the day they would be ranked ahead of WI.  Now they are on a meteoric rise.

I know Barry and Donny had a huge falling out and no matter what side you pick one has to admit Donny has a positive influence everywhere he goes.

The season after Donny left we finished last in the Big Ten.  None of his recruits other than Cody Caldwell would have wrestled for the Badgers that year, and Caldwell would have redshirted.  I think it is also fair to say Pritzlaff contributed to the lack of depth we had on that team.  Ben Jordan, Cole Schmitt, and Cole Tobin were the only National Qualifiers. To pretend everything he did was great is also false.

The overall depth we have on this year's roster in another Olympic year 4 years later is much stronger.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

hammen

Sean Bourmet is a very big reason why Michigan is doing well.

Barou

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on January 10, 2016, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: Micah on January 10, 2016, 01:56:42 PM

The season after Donny left we finished last in the Big Ten.  None of his recruits other than Cody Caldwell would have wrestled for the Badgers that year, and Caldwell would have redshirted.  I think it is also fair to say Pritzlaff contributed to the lack of depth we had on that team.  Ben Jordan, Cole Schmitt, and Cole Tobin were the only National Qualifiers. To pretend everything he did was great is also false.

The overall depth we have on this year's roster in another Olympic year 4 years later is much stronger.

Where does he say everything Donny did was great?
JHI Mafia