Nebraska, Jan 8th.. Friday, 7:00

Started by leg turk, December 31, 2015, 12:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgradedmascot

Both of these links look at the gpa of the ten starters plus two reserves. I looked for more but these were the first two that I found.
http://www.huskers.com/downloads2/452417.pdf?ATCLID=205425233&SPSID=56&SPID=28&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100
That might be 4 years old, but still relevant.
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/nusports.com/documents/2014/5/7/111.pdf
Two years old, but still relevant.

copeletti

wow interesting facts, also Hammen there is only one juco wrestler on Nebraska's team not sure where you are getting your info from.

hammen

Ahh for some reason I thought Montoya was JUCO at Campbell. Just Abidin. My bad.

hammen

Yeah me and a few former teammates just discussed. We're not sure on an exact number but anything near 90 seemed unrealistic to us. It could be lower than 65.

Micah

We are talking about a 3.0 in HS not college.  How many wrestlers in the B10 graduated HS with a 3.0 65% seems low to me.  There is really no way to tell as schools don't disclose HS grades.

Don't care about their college grades as the debate is about admission standards and I know kids have been accepted with a 3.0, well actually lower than a 3.0, but for arguments sake lets just use 3.0 it's a nice round number.

hammen

Yes - high school. I would've said less than 25% for college with much more confidence.

Micah

I would agree with you on the 3.0 in college.

Micah

How many guys on your team had less than a 3.0?  In HS

hammen

Our team average was always less than 3.0. Most sports were. I would say 25% is accurate for most teams, and accurat for the teams I was on.

Micah

The average GPA for the WI wrestling team out of HS is less than a 3.0?

hammen

Sorry thought you meant in college. In high school I think the 65-70 range is very accurate. Closer to the low end of that range.

Micah

So 30-35% of the guys on the Badger wrestling team had less than a 3.0 in HS?  Sorry just trying to wrap my head around this point, not trying to repetitive intentionally.

hammen

That's my guess during my time. Bounced this around to a few guys and we didn't think this range was unbelievable. Anything around 90 was. And I would imagine most other teams are lower.

hammen

I think it's very accurate to say that this percentage has increased a good amount since then. Closer to the 85-90% range.

Micah

Ok, this information is very surprising to me.  In all honesty, I was expecting the academic standards to be more strict.  I was kind of expecting a min GPA of around 3.0-3.33 to be accepted.  But wow at least 30% of the guys had below a 3.0 in HS.  This is shocking to me.