The Last Wrestler-Jim Jordan

Started by crossface21, December 24, 2015, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Too bad the author had to get all political about it.  Why ascribe wrestling's virtuous lessons to one political perspective?  There's no way that characterization is accurate. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Jimmy

Is it April first? Sounded more like an April fool talking than an educated responsibile reasonable compassionate Hunan being.

MNbadger

I think that is Fish's point, asking why was it necessary to bring up the political part which has nothing to do with wrestling.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imnofish

Quote from: MNbadger on December 26, 2015, 10:54:58 PM
I think that is Fish's point, asking why was it necessary to bring up the political part which has nothing to do with wrestling.

+1  Would have had the same response if it was politically skewed in another direction.  Thought this stuff was banned on here.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Jimmy

Sorry to disappoint fish but I could care less what political affiliation anyone has. It was a response to the inappropriate term01 comments of the article and using a sport I love as a vehicle  to project his incredible narrow minded self serving jiberish.

imnofish

Quote from: Jimmy on December 27, 2015, 12:09:34 AM
Sorry to disappoint fish but I could care less what political affiliation anyone has. It was a response to the ridiculous comments of the article and using a sport I love as a vehicle  to project his incredible narrow minded self serving jiberish.

Your comment did not disappoint me at all.  We are apparently in agreement about the article.

bigoil

jets152

Seems to me this is an article describing one wrestler's application of what he perceives to be our sport's real-life lessons in his career as a politician. To be honest, I would love to read articles about people in other fields who are applying what they learned on the mat to their careers (even other politicians with different views than Jordan apparently has). I'd take one article like this over a dozen articles that speak very generally and loftily of wrestling's virtues as if they were entirely abstract.

And, in the interest of full disclosure, a Tea Party-er I ain't.
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

npope

Quote from: jets152 on December 27, 2015, 03:36:22 PM
Seems to me this is an article describing one wrestler's application of what he perceives to be our sport's real-life lessons in his career as a politician. To be honest, I would love to read articles about people in other fields who are applying what they learned on the mat to their careers (even other politicians with different views than Jordan apparently has). I'd take one article like this over a dozen articles that speak very generally and loftily of wrestling's virtues as if they were entirely abstract.

And, in the interest of full disclosure, a Tea Party-er I ain't.
+1 I thought it was an interesting read, although I don't necessarily agree with some of the politics. The only slightly disturbing thing to me was that the author essentially equated the spirit of wrestling with the same spirit of the Tea Party philosophy. The author wasn't saying that that is how Jordan interpreted it but rather, that it WAS the same foundation. But other than that, interesting.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

jchap

Quote from: imnofish on December 24, 2015, 10:33:15 PM
Too bad the author had to get all political about it.  Why ascribe wrestling's virtuous lessons to one political perspective?  There's no way that characterization is accurate. 
It's a good thing the author didn't mention Dennis Hastert.  It would have blown his point about how conservative Christian Republican idiology is emphasized the most in high school wrestling.

imnofish

Quote from: jchap on December 27, 2015, 06:55:28 PM
Quote from: imnofish on December 24, 2015, 10:33:15 PM
It's a good thing the author didn't mention Dennis Hastert.  It would have blown his point about how conservative Christian Republican idiology is emphasized the most in high school wrestling.

According to a (now deceased) coaching opponent of his, Hastert showed poor character a long time ago, well before his most infamous deeds became known.  I suspect that Christians, Republicans, and just about any other group you can think of, would not want to be associated with the guy, at this point.  Pretty sad legacy, in the end... 

whatever

I didn't have a problem with the political angle as Jordan IS a conservative Republican.

I was more out off by the repeated reference to wrestling involving starvation techniques like that was still an integral part of wrestling today.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

whatever

Tried to say I was put off but this so-called smart phone won't allow me to modify my original post....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

dad 2 5