Grammar police

Started by Oldtimer, December 16, 2015, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on March 01, 2016, 03:48:03 PM
Quote from: bigG on March 01, 2016, 07:36:32 AM
"Well... I got bettah."-Monty Python-Dude that got turned into a newt(but, I guess it didn't stick).

My fav is having to announce "I have a question" before asking it. Oh, great, thanks, now I have time to prep.

I had a high school classmate who frequently raised her hand and asked, "Can I have a question?"  Our history teacher cracked me up when he replied, "Was that it?  Would you like to ask me something about the lesson, too?" 

When I'm feeling a little pooky, I quickly respond to "I have a question" with "and what do smart people do when they have a question?" then the kid will say "ask?"; I then say "we learn somethin' new every day, don't we? Ask away!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on March 02, 2016, 10:49:23 AM
Quote from: imnofish on March 01, 2016, 03:48:03 PM
Quote from: bigG on March 01, 2016, 07:36:32 AM
"Well... I got bettah."-Monty Python-Dude that got turned into a newt(but, I guess it didn't stick).

My fav is having to announce "I have a question" before asking it. Oh, great, thanks, now I have time to prep.

I had a high school classmate who frequently raised her hand and asked, "Can I have a question?"  Our history teacher cracked me up when he replied, "Was that it?  Would you like to ask me something about the lesson, too?" 

When I'm feeling a little pooky, I quickly respond to "I have a question" with "and what do smart people do when they have a question?" then the kid will say "ask?"; I then say "we learn somethin' new every day, don't we? Ask away!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When kids talked out of turn, during class discussion, I would announce to the class, "I hear a fly buzzing, but I don't see a hand raised." 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Dale Einerson

Quote from: Houndhead on December 17, 2015, 08:14:10 AM
Think about these ones.

Unthaw
Hot water heater

Love this. I work for a company that manufactures and sells water heaters.  Actually had a customer call in to our service department about two weeks ago, because the water heater wasn't working.  Turned out, after about an hour on the phone, cell phone pictures, lots of conversation, the job site had 2 water heaters and they were plumbed so one water heater fed the other one, then to the demand.  The 2nd water heater never fired up because the water was already at the desired temp.

At the end of the call, our service tech says, "I guess we now all know why they aren't called 'hot water heaters!'

imnofish

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 02, 2016, 09:54:57 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on December 17, 2015, 08:14:10 AM
Think about these ones.

Unthaw
Hot water heater

Love this. I work for a company that manufactures and sells water heaters.  Actually had a customer call in to our service department about two weeks ago, because the water heater wasn't working.  Turned out, after about an hour on the phone, cell phone pictures, lots of conversation, the job site had 2 water heaters and they were plumbed so one water heater fed the other one, then to the demand.  The 2nd water heater never fired up because the water was already at the desired temp.

At the end of the call, our service tech says, "I guess we now all know why they aren't called 'hot water heaters!'

;D ;D ;D ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish