Sueflohn returns with new fire as Huskers open Big Ten season

Started by TomM, December 12, 2015, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Sueflohn returns with new fire as Huskers open Big Ten season
http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/wrestling/wrestling-sueflohn-returns-with-new-fire-as-huskers-open-big/article_0e56bfcd-e0a0-5d3e-93af-111d8ac05843.html

December 10, 2015 7:00 pm  •  By KEN HAMBLETON | LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

The time on the sidelines was well-spent.

Well, Jake Sueflohn wasn't all that happy about sitting out last season as he recovered from knee surgery. Sueflohn blew the ACL in his right knee during practice last September and didn't return to the mat until late February, while the rest of the Huskers were prepping for the Big Ten and the NCAA meets.

He emerged with a new fire and a fresh perspective that has helped the Nebraska senior jump to the No. 7 ranking and a 10-1 record at 149 pounds this season.

Sueflohn, a native of Watertown, Wisconsin, will be one of the team leaders this weekend when No. 4 Nebraska wrestles Big Ten foes at Maryland at 5:30 p.m. Friday and at No. 11 Rutgers at noon Saturday.

"The Big Ten duals, I love them because everybody is ranked in the top 20 or close to it," said Sueflohn, who will graduate with a degree in journalism in May. Ten conference schools are ranked in the top 20, including No. 1 Penn State, No. 2 Iowa, No. 3 Ohio State, Nebraska and No. 10 Michigan.

"We're a good dual team — everybody on our team is ranked and I don't think anybody else can say that. It really tests whether you have any holes in your lineup."

So far the Huskers don't seem to have any gaps, especially with the return of Sueflohn to the lineup.

Husker teammates Austin Wilson (165) and TJ Dudley (184) are both ranked fourth in the country. Tim Lambert (125) is 10th, Eric Montoya (133) is ninth, Anthony Abidin (141) is 17th, Tyler Berger (157) is 10th, Micah Barnes (174) is 12th, Aaron Studebaker (197) is 16th and Collin Jensen (heavyweight) is 13th.

"That means I get Abidin, Justin Arthur, who wrestled for us at 147 last year, and Tyler Berger for practice partners, and they are all good," Sueflohn said. "I even get the 'old man' Bryan Snyder (assistant coach) once in a while, but he still has an edge on me in a lot of ways."

Sueflohn already has posted three pins and a technical fall to go with four major decisions in his 10 victories. He has sharpened his moves on the mat and learned that he must improve each day and each meet to reach his goals this year.

And, no, he hasn't ever used a suplex in a wrestling match. "I get asked that often because of my last name, but I am a terrible Greco-Roman wrestler," he said. The suplex (pronounced soo-play in amateur wrestling) involves throwing your opponent over your head for a pin.

Sueflohn, who qualified for the NCAA Tournament each of his first three years at NU said he has learned to slow down and enjoy the wrestling.

"I think I am a better wrestler now, because I am mentally better and I am more patient, too," he said.

That patience has paid off for the Nebraska Wrestling Club team that he helps coach.

"I'm a lot better at coaching in the summer camps and with the kids teams than I used to be," he said. "Five years ago, I probably was in a hurry and I've learned to be more relaxed.

NU coach Mark Manning saw the progress, too.

"Maturity is the big difference for Jake," he said. "He's a team leader and a team guy, and I think a lot of that comes from sitting out last year. And coming out tough this year."
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"