Cliff Keen Vegas

Started by badgerjohn, November 30, 2015, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

It's not so much the placing, it's who you compete against. Midlands usually has the stronger field and is closer to March. Certainly the matches matter at cliff keen - not so much the placing. But obviously placing comes with winning. I think wins later in the year are more important.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: hammen on December 05, 2015, 12:06:46 PM
It's not so much the placing, it's who you compete against. Midlands usually has the stronger field and is closer to March. Certainly the matches matter at cliff keen - not so much the placing. But obviously placing comes with winning. I think wins later in the year are more important.

Did you study politics at UM

sudden_victory

The fallacy in the "they will use this experience to get better" excuse is that other teams keep working all season, too.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

hammen

True - everything is trying to improve on past results. Considering it happens every year, where guys start slow and achieve better results as the season progresses, proves it is not a fallacy.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Goat Roper on December 05, 2015, 06:16:21 AM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on December 04, 2015, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: Goat Roper on December 04, 2015, 07:03:49 PM
Quote from: futurerichguy on December 04, 2015, 06:40:54 PM
The Badgers are in 21st place, just behind wrestling powerhouse Utah Valley University.

Another great post by a Debbie Downer (current poor guy).

I guess you're proud of 21st? I guess you're proud that MN can lose almost an entire team and still crush us.

You have done nothing but bash this program.  Nothing will be accomplished via this forum.  Get involved booster if you are not liking the direction of this program.  Otherwise take your insults somewhere else.

Gather your troops and march into Barry Alvarez office with facts, not emotions.  If you need proffesional help let me know.

I give them credit when credit is due and vice versa
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

sudden_victory

The last Badger wrestlers who came on strongly at the end of the season to finish as surprising All Americans were Tony Black and Ryan Flaherty. Every one else who AA'ed was a known contender. Maybe you could add Craig Henning's 2nd place finish. Most wrestlers get better but is it enough to win more matches is the point.

vsmf2010

Quote from: sudden_victory on December 05, 2015, 02:36:55 PM
The last Badger wrestlers who came on strongly at the end of the season to finish as surprising All Americans were Tony Black and Ryan Flaherty. Every one else who AA'ed was a known contender. Maybe you could add Craig Henning's 2nd place finish. Most wrestlers get better but is it enough to win more matches is the point.
I think Massey and Turner could be added to the list:
Massey in 08 (started the season 7-4)
Turner in 07 (unseeded AA)

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: vsmf2010 on December 05, 2015, 12:11:29 AM
The Badgers are in 21st place, just behind wrestling powerhouse Utah Valley University.

I guess you're proud of 21st? I guess you're proud that MN can lose almost an entire team and still crush us.

MN lost 5 starters. UW lost 2, have 2 taking Olympic redshirts, have a returning AA out of the lineup, a starter hurt, and a backup hurt. You have to be fair Jag.

MN has only 3 of the 10 they brought to the B1G starting at Cliff Keen. They didn't just lose 5, they lost 5 AA's we lost 1. Even with Taylor in the finals we still would be a long way behind MN at this tournament.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

sudden_victory

Thanks for recalling those two.

Harris

Ricky Robertson 5th
Ryan Christensen 8th
Jordan 1st

I didn't get to see any of the matches with the young/inexperienced guys.  Did they fight?  Were they aggressive?  Were they pushing the offense all match long?  Did they have enough gas at the end of the match?  How did they respond in the next match after losing to a highly ranked wrestler?  Did they wrestle angry after losing?  Did they work on the top?  Did they get out on the bottom?

This is what I would be looking at with the younger/inexperienced guys.  

Can anyone share any positives that they saw in the matches?  

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on December 05, 2015, 03:35:09 PM
Ricky Robertson 5th
Ryan Christensen 8th
Jordan 1st or 2nd

I didn't get to see any of the matches with the young/inexperienced guys.  Did they fight?  Were they aggressive?  Were they pushing the offense all match long?  Did they have enough gas at the end of the match?  How did they respond in the next match after losing to a highly ranked wrestler?  Did they wrestle angry after losing?  Did they work on the top?  Did they get out on the bottom?

This is what I would be looking at with the younger/inexperienced guys.  

Can anyone share any positives that they saw in the matches?  

I thought all of the big guys wrestled well. Horwath lost a tough one that he could have won but I thought if the official would have officiated the boundary the way I thought they were going to he would have. RC wrestled well and I think his future is bright. It was a shame that RR got pancaked and pinned but he looks like he is healthy and wrestling like we would expect. Zeke is his usual self and completely controlling the matches even the close ones. Did no see much of JJ but what I did looked good. I think he is continuing to improve. Did not see Rowh. Lubeck did not look great. Not enough offense in my opinion. I think at this point they would be better with AC back in at that spot. TJ looked pretty good. Has a lot of weapons just needs more consistency across the entire match and entire tournaments.

Harris

FloArena took some getting used to but I would have to say I like that it doesn't have the annoying pop ups that trackwrestling has.  I also like the second by second scoring of the matches.  In track, it seems to have a delay. 

I think track has the edge in how much easier the brackets are to see and follow.  In addition, I like being able to see the team results by wrestler and the final results in a summary.  I also like the in match scoring summary better on track.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Goat Roper on December 05, 2015, 03:50:21 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on December 05, 2015, 02:25:49 PM
Quote from: Goat Roper on December 05, 2015, 06:16:21 AM

You have done nothing but bash this program.  Nothing will be accomplished via this forum.  Get involved booster if you are not liking the direction of this program.  Otherwise take your insults somewhere else.

Gather your troops and march into Barry Alvarez office with facts, not emotions.  If you need proffesional help let me know.

I give them credit when credit is due and vice versa

What are your expectations for the wrestling team?  Top 5 finish at the NCAA's?

Everyone can complain, but leave emotions out of it.  Put together what you would like from the wrestling team and discuss it with Alvarez.  Ask to see his expectations as well.  Be interesting to see how close (or far) you two are apart.

Not one of 2 but I will chime in. Not sure how to quantify a team finish but here is what I think as far as individuals.

JJ – Top half of big ten and qualifier
RT – Big Ten champ and top 3
LR – Likely under .500
AC – Top half of big ten and qualifier (I think he has a very high ceiling and could do great things before he is done here. He is a sophomore but I am thinking 2 time AA)
TJ – Top half of big ten and qualifier or better. Good on the mat and can score in bunches. If he gets on a role I think he could surprise some really good wrestlers
IJ – Big Ten champ and top 3
RR – Top 5 Big Ten and AA
RC – Top half of big ten and qualifier – very good positional wrestler
EP – Likely under .500
BH – Top half of big ten and qualifier – has to figure out how to win close matches. So many no takedown matches at this weight that you cannot give anything up. If he can do that I think he can have a really nice senior season

Looks like I am predicting 8 qualifiers and 3 AA’s. Sounds about right. Last year was 7 and 3.

mkm13

I think you are underestimating how tough the big 10 is to call all those guys "top half of the big 10 wrestlers".  I think they have the potential, but most will likely have to improve to get there. 

I think where you put them is essentially the high end for everyone.  Hope they can get there.  The big 10 is tough.

littleguy301

Quote from: hammen on December 05, 2015, 12:06:46 PM

I realize with having RT out that hurts.

I guess I am not following you to much. Like someone said, ALL teams improve and work hard for March.

Actually I am a tad nervous about the midlands, that is a meat grinder and I wouldnt put the cliff keen to far behind the midlands and we didnt show to well at the cliff keens but lets see what a month in the wrestling room does for the team!

I am hoping for a better showing at the midlands since it is closer to March.

I wish the best to ALL the wrestlers and the UW for the Midlands.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet