2015-2016

Started by tess5, November 16, 2015, 02:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tess5

my picks for team standings
JC going to be tough to beat lot (3) state place winners good young kids coming up
Horicon and Rio/Fall River/Cambia/Pardeeville have numbers
Dodgeland (2) state qualifier's the most kids skin fold in a long time might push Horicon and Rio co/op
Deerfield (1) state place winner graduated most of last years team
Husti still needs numbers

conference tourney Markasan

bfboy

Here you go, the annual bfboy Trailways Conference Preview...(points returned/points last year)

1a - Markesan 126/204
Returning 8 starters from last years conference tournament lineup, Markesan is the front runner to win it again this year.  Markesan returns only one conference champ in Jake Straks at 220, but has 5 other wrestlers who finished in the top three.  Markesan lost two conference champions (also state qualifers) in Cody Kuphal and Matt Stensrud.  Markesan develops their wrestlers nicely.  If they can fill out the lineup, they have to be the favorite to win it again this year.  

Stud Alert: Jake Straks
Breakout Star: Seth Eager

1b - Johnson Creek 160/174
Returning 9 wrestlers from last year's second place team, Johnson Creek will be neck and neck with Markesan for the team title.  There is no doubt that JC has talent (5 returning conference champs, 3 state placers), but can they develop anything from 152-285 this year?

Stud Alert: Tucker Roehl, Weston Wichman, Adam Becker, Alex David, and Wilder Wichman (All returning champs)
Breakout Star:  Colton Bruley

3 - Rio, etc 117/157
Rio, etc. brings back 11 wrestlers from last years team.  If their wrestlers can improve from last year, they are going to be a lock to finish 3rd (but could challenge the Markesan and JC).  They only return one finalist and a third place finisher, but they filled a lineup and that goes along way in our conference.

Stud Alert: Dante Graham
Breakout Star: Logan DeBoer

bfboy

Part Two....  

4 - Horicon  88.5/127
Horicon loses their stud Ryan Schmauz, but returns a well balanced lineup throughout all the weight classes.  Horicon was the first team to knock off Johnson Creek in a dual in 5-6 years and could likely do it again this year.  Isaac Dickenson did not wrestle in the conference tournament and would have likely scored an addition 10-15 points for the team.  Bill Condon was a surprise finalist last year after pinning Wilfong (Deerfield) in the semifinals.  This team could possible move up in the rankings if they fill their lineup a little bit more.  

Stud Alert:  Bill Condon
Breakout Star:  Nick Kufalk and Tyler Kirkland

5 - Princeton  80/97
Princeton returns several wrestlers that can flat out wrestle.  Their main challenge will be to fill the rest of their lineup (sound familiar).  They return state placer Payton Hall and bring back two other wrestlers with state experience in Ivan Hebbe and Taran Holland.  Hebbe had a sad end of the season last year with several injuries, but looks to be back strong this season.  Princeton had a near full lineup at times and at other times only competed with 3-4 wrestlers.  It will be interesting to see how they do this year.  

Stud Alert:  Payton Hall, Ivan Hebbe, and Taran Holland
Breakout Star: Hunter Pelland

6 - Dodgeland 51/70
Dodgeland had a great run at the end of the season.  Jaxon Seufzer made an awesome run to the state finals, even taking down David Chadd in the first period.  Josh Burrow got over the hump that was Matt Gross and made it to the state tournament.  Judging by their skinfold, Dodgeland could make some noise this year.  They should not be overlooked by anyone, even Markesan or Johnson Creek.  Coach Engel has done a nice job reviving the program.

Stud Alert:  Jaxon Seufzer and Josh Burrow
Breakout Star: Malachi Dornfield

bfboy

Part Three...

7 - Deerfield 45/160.5
It feels weird putting Deerfield this low, but it is a very real reality.  Graduating 8 seniors with some pretty good career numbers will do that to a team.  This team basically returns Cal Hansen and Adam Deppe. Hansen is an absolute stud and could have easily been in the state finals last year.  Adam Deppe was a conference finalist and should be in the mix again this year.

Stud Alert:  Cal Hansen
Breakout Star:  Adam Deppe

8. -  Oakfield 42/60
Oakfield returns conference finalist and one time state qualifier Ross Ellison.  Other than that, the team is pretty thin with the graduation of Matt Gross.  James Kottke could make noise in the upper weights.

Stud Alert:  Ross Ellison
Breakout Star:  James Kottke

9. - Lourdes Academy 24/44
Lourdes saw their lone conference finalist in Brian Dowling graduate.  In his defense, Carson Krause may have been the second best 106lber in the conference, but due to seeding ended up being on the side of the bracket with eventual champ Tucker Roehl (JC).  Christian Binning also returns for his sophomore year.

Stud Alert:  Carson Krause
Breakout Star:  Christian Binning

bfboy

Part Four...

10 - Hustisford
Len Kluck returns for Husty.  That is it.  Husty's biggest enemy will be the forfeit this year.  Kluck is an average wrestle who should get plenty of attention in the practice room.  

Stud Alert:  Len Kluck
Breakout Star:  Len Kluck

11 - Montello
Will they have a team this year?

Overall, not a bad returning group of wrestlers.  There is a possiblity that the conference represents quite well in the state finals with a legit chance at having Wilder Wichman, Weston Wichman, Adam Becker, Payton Hall, Jaxon Seufzer, and Cal Hansen representing the conference in the finals.  Who knows, we may see a Becker vs. Hansen championship match at Conference, Regionals, Sectionals, and State.  Good for us, but those two boys will be tired by the end of it. Good luck to all the Trailways boys.  

RollTide

Thanks for the conference preview BFBoy.  I don't really have anything to add.  I think I'll copy this and keep it with me.

Looking at the skinfolds, 138 looks to be and unbelievably tough weight for conference.  Could end up with Hansen, Becker and either Hall or Hebbe.  I'd put that top three against nearly any conference in the state.

bfboy

Well looking back on it, I wasn't too far off at the beginning of the season.  Outside of Dodgeland finishing two places higher than predicted and Rio/co-op not doing as expected, everyone was within one place of predicted finish.  Not half bad. 

Congratulations to Princeton and Johnson Creek on their dual meet championships and to JC on the tournament championship.  What a great day of wrestling.  It seemed like every match went the full 6 minutes.  Hats off to Princeton on running a great tournament. 

Good luck to all the Trailways teams as they enter the Regional tournaments!

tess5

Thanks for the input bfboy what are your picks for regonals /sectionals

bfboy

Quote from: tess5 on February 11, 2016, 07:58:35 PM
Thanks for the input bfboy what are your picks for regonals /sectionals

Seeing as we are spread out over three sectionals, this is a crap shoot but here goes...

No qualifiers will come from Rio, Husty, Montello, Lourdes

Princeton
Pulvermacher 106
G. Hebbe - 132
I. Hebbe - 138
Myadze - 145
Holland - 160

Horicon
Condon - 120

Dodgeland
Burrow - 126
Neu - 138 (Will be an absolutely tough first round match for someone if he makes it to Madison)
Huebnyr - 170/182
Seufzer - 195

Oakfield
Ellison - 132

Markesan
Newton - 170
Weber - 195
Straks - 220

Johnson Creek
Roehl - 106
Becker - 138
Wichman - 145

Deerfield
Hansen 132

There is a legit chance we get several champs this year.  So who is the South's wrestler of the year if Hansen, Becker, Wichman, and Seufzer all win state? 

Good luck to everyone!

tess5

I think you are almost perfect my only addition would be David from JC at 160?

RollTide

I count 16 qualifiers.  Without injuries, Wichman, Hall and Hebbe would have been for sure qualifiers.  I'll be cheering for all of them at state.  (Except if they are wrestling my son.)