Year 1 Schedule

Started by CLC FAN, October 11, 2015, 07:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Wisconsin

As a former wrestler in the conference. How does everyone feel with the conference change? It dwindled down in the mid to late 2000's.  It still seems like it is the same top teams. RL OZ and OO. but looking at it, I like Mishicot and  Reedsville in there. Hopefully those two teams (mishicot and Reedsville) can get back to their old habits and the conference could be back to the old tough CLC. Still fun to follow! good luck to ALL CLC...I Mean Big East grapplers over the Christmas holiday!

ELG

As a former CLC wrestler I see it as a GREAT change. We still have the same programs that have been in the CLC for the past several years and we added 3 additional teams. Everything runs in cycles. Mishicot graduated an incredible senior class last year. Hopefully they will get their program back to where it was and Reedsville's kids are tough as nails as usual. They just have numbers issues right now. Hopefully the Manitowoc Roncalli and Lutheran co-op can build up a program. To say that it is the same top teams isn't entirely accurate. While Random is still the cream of the crop Trevor and his guys have built up a great program in Cedar Grove. Their final score with Random was lopsided but most of the matches wrestled were close. That dual was tighter than the score indicated. Elkhart seems to have been continually improving the last few years and have filled more weights then in the past. They have a very young team. Hopefully they can continue to increase their numbers.Oostburg has great numbers and hopefully the coaching transition can continue on without skipping a beat. Ozaukee has been down the last 2-3 years which is attributed to a lack of numbers. They have a new head coach who is in the school system. I suspect that Coach Lubner has been doing some heavy recruiting. It will be great to see a real conference tournament again instead of a round robin tournament.

Gutwrench

As a former wrestler in the CLC conference, I see the benefit of the conference change as it relates to the sport of wrestling.  However part of me wishes there wasn't a need to have all these schools added just to fill out a conference tournament.  My CLC exposure dates all the way back to the late 70's and early 80's.  There was Random Lake, Elkhart Lake, Ozaukee, Cedar Grove, Oostburg, Kohler, and Howards Grove (and I think Stockbridge even had a team in the conference way back in the day).  Sure a few teams still had some forfeits, but most teams were able to fill out a full lineup.  Now the conference as a whole has to expand just to have enough teams/wrestlers for a regular conference tourny.

It is what it is.  I am happy that administrations are still supporting wrestling by allowing co-ops.  I'm happy that there is still an opportunity to wrestle for those kids who chose to go out for this great sport.  Whether it's the CLC or the Big East I'm happy to follow the action, and I hope success to all those associated.

hasbeen

Cedar Grove, Oostburg, & Mishicot started off 2016 with the 17 team Rocket Scramble in Cedar Grove over the weekend. Another strong field again this year. CG-B finished in 5th place. And that was without the Brockmans (One with a sore knee, the other just a little heavy  :-\ ). Oostburg finished in 9th. Individuals in the top 6 were CG-B: 120 Gonwa 4-1 2nd, 138 Morgan 4-1 5th, 160 Davies 4-1 3rd, 195 Schoeder 2-3 4th, 285 Gjertsen 5-0 1st. Oost: 145 Frier 3-2 6th, 220 Vanderweele 3-2 3rd. Mish: 120 Becker 3-2 3rd, 160 Tesarik 4-1 2nd, 182 Elliot 2-3 4th.

CLC FAN

The Rocket Scramble is always a good one for separating the men from the boys!  Can't believe they run it on Jan 2nd!!! Two tournaments over Christmas break for most of those teams - wow.

Looking forward, I think these are the biggest duals left:

Week 7
EL/HG @ Oostburg                 Thurs 1/14

Week 8
Oostburg @ Reedsville           Thurs 1/21

Week 9
Oostburg @ Cedar Grove        Tues 1/26
Reedsville @ EL/HG                Thurs 1/28

Looks like 2nd - 5th place will be decided by these duals.  Any predictions on which teams finish where?

hasbeen

Quote from: CLC FAN on January 05, 2016, 12:16:30 PM
Week 7

Looks like 2nd - 5th place will be decided by these duals.  Any predictions on which teams finish where?

CG-B should be able to top Oostburg for the first time in I don't know how long. Then I'd say Reedsville over Oost & EL-HG. They can pick up a lot of bonus points if they have all of their kids. Not sure where a couple have been the last few weeks...? Oost should be able to hang on for 4th place though.

Ohio Wisconsin

Looks like its between CG-B and Oostburg for 2nd place. Maybe reedsville can sneak in points. Great to see Cedar grove belgium back in the conference! makes for a better tournament race.

Interested to see the conference tournament. I have not been following to close. who are the studs this year from the conference that can make some noise in sectionals and state? I know Random has a few any other Conference Studs that can make noise??

hasbeen

Top Big East wrestlers

II #5 Abel Brockman CG-B 11
others: Anthony Rautman RL

III #2 Josh Depies RL 11

II HM Adam Gonwa CG-B 12
others: Dylan Becker MI, Chase Kraus OZ

II #9 Max Ward EL/HG 10
others: Chase Lombardi Oo, Jackob Luckow MI

II #4 Isaac Brockman CG-B 12
III HM Sawyer young MI 10

III HM Trent Rebedew EL/HG 12
others: Ceasar Luis RL, Bryce Morgan CG-B, Andy Spatchek RD

III HM Brandon Selzer RD 9
others: Chris Mudlaff RL, Jonah Frier Oo

III #3 Isaac Roffers RD 11
III #4 Levi Kohn RL 11
II #11 Ben Kiel ML/R
others: Colin Hughes OZ

III HM Dan Kocourek RD 11
others: Garret Davies CG-B, Kyle Tesarik MI

III #5 Helton Vandenbush RL 11

III #6 Chase Brouillette RL 11
III #8 Mike Griffey RD 11
III #12 Zak Elliot MI 12

III #6 Hunter Huiras RL 11
others: Joe Meyer Oo

III HM Ben Drenski RL 11
others: Cole Knier RD, Jared Vanderweele Oo

II #10 Danny Gjertson CG-B 12

Who else am I missing???

Gutwrench

Is CG-B's Adam Gonwa the son of Mark Gonwa, also from CG-B back in the day?

hasbeen

Yep. Spitting image, although Adam might have a thicker mustache.

Gutwrench

Awesome!

Mark Gonwa was a good guy.  Senior when I was a freshman.  Glad to see the Gonwa clan still getting it done on the mats.

CLC FAN

Any predictions for Oostburg vs Reedsville?  Oo definitely has the warm bodies advantage, but Reedsville is tough at every weight where they have someone. 

Gutwrench

Reedsville has 6 wrestlers currently ranked or listed as honorable mention.  Oostburg has one.  Oostburg might have the numbers, but Reedsville has the horses.  I'll predict 36-24 Reedsville comes out on top.

Ohio Wisconsin

Great prediction Gutwrench. so with the conference tourney coming up any precitions on conference champs? Obviously Random will run away with it.  However  it could be interesting with the next four teams with cedar grove, reedsville, Oostburg and Random. im interested to see who comes out in second.  Who does everyone have??

ELG

Ohio,
You may want to keep a look out for a few ELG/HG wrestlers as they defeated Oostburg two weeks ago in a dual meet 44-33. They have a very tough dual with Reedsville this Thursday to determine who finishes 3rd/4th in the conference and will have some Conference Champs in 2 weeks.