Moving to Wausau

Started by DrSnide, September 20, 2015, 11:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

OK I have been offered and taken a really exciting position in the Wausau area and in order to allow my youngest sons to graduate from Chippewa Falls I will be living out of a studio apartment in Wausau during the week and coming home on Weekends (and Thursdays during wrestling season  ;)) The one dilemma is I will be done at about 5 every night and need things to do before I get myself in trouble somehow. ;D 

So if anyone has any suggestions of the following I would be really grateful. 

1. Internet service - any suggestions in the area.  Looks like once again Charter may be the best option.  I don't plan on getting cable but rather going off nextflix, HBO Go, etc so will need internet.

2. Good places to eat?  When in doubt find food.

3. Things to do in the area in general during the week

4. Best places to watch a Packer game - Going without cable but will be home to see most of the games - but those Thursday night/Monday night games are going to be a challenge.  My oldest son insists he has always been able to stream games in MN for free online but I'm not sure I want to rely on streaming.

5. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

ramjet

Watch the games that's easy BWW.

Do you moutain bike? They have some nice single track.

Ski? nice little ski hill there.

We lived there for few years it's a nice area.

Ivan Stankowski

1. I would go with Charter
2. BWW, Texas Road House, Hoo Hut, Applebees, Olive Garden, Not sure what you are looking for but they have most popular food chains. Wausau Mine company if your looking for Pizza
3. Anything outdoors. Actually quite a bit to do in Wausau.  
4. BWW, Great Dane Pub, Loppnow's
5. What else do you want to know? I can try and help

http://www.visitwausau.com/wheretoeat/dining?s=50

imnofish

I have no advice, but congrats on the new job!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

smitty71

watch the game at the Bar in Schofield.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

bigG

Get lost in your (new) work.  ;)

Props on the new gig, Doc!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

Great for you Doc.   I have had good meals at 2510 restaurant and want to try the wausau min company some time.   I really enjoyed the hot air balloon festival there this summer as well as the chalk art festival.   If you like Kayaking there is a great venue downtown.  I just watched some competitive Kayaking there this summer.   
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

bigG

I'm sorry. BWW uses margarine. Blah! Butter=better.

I've always been pleasantly surprised by Wausau. Ain't no Wabeno; but it's nice. :D
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

greysquirrelmobile

...just don't cross into Nutterville ;)

maggie

Congrats on the new beginning...can't really offer any advice on what to do there tho, maybe a little musky fishing just a bit north on the river near  ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Handles II

Snide, help start a wrestling club at UW-Marathon County! Maybe even offer your services in some capacity there, guest lecturer, etc?

As some of you know also I do the apt/home thing as well (hopefully not for too much longer), and the evenings can suck. So this year I decided I needed something constructive and challenging to do in those off ours. So I'm;
1. Learning chess via computer
2. Bought a used guitar and amp and am learning to play. A wrestling coach/friend's son was an inspiration to pull the trigger on this, something I had been mulling over at a very low level for a year or two.

Both are very much keeping me entertained and going back to my crap apt after practice isn't such a bad deal.

DrSnide

Quote from: Handles II on October 29, 2015, 11:21:20 AM
Snide, help start a wrestling club at UW-Marathon County! Maybe even offer your services in some capacity there, guest lecturer, etc?

As some of you know also I do the apt/home thing as well (hopefully not for too much longer), and the evenings can suck. So this year I decided I needed something constructive and challenging to do in those off ours. So I'm;
1. Learning chess via computer
2. Bought a used guitar and amp and am learning to play. A wrestling coach/friend's son was an inspiration to pull the trigger on this, something I had been mulling over at a very low level for a year or two.

Both are very much keeping me entertained and going back to my crap apt after practice isn't such a bad deal.

It's funny you mention that - someone just brought that up lecturing the other day. I am thinking about it in the future - maybe next semester or next academic year - I want to get settled into the new job first, I am starting up a program from scratch and want to give it all the time and energy it deserves right now. I figure the further I get into it now the less I will need to next summer when the family moves over.  

I am adjusting to being home early (I was never home before 7 before now 4:30 or 5:00 everynight) and having more free time at night.  Three weeks in and I am still getting caught up on some reading I wanted to do for awhile so that's keeping me pretty busy but yeah won't be long and I will need a project of some kind.  I started writing a book about the impact of mental illness on history years ago and never found the time to work on it so it turned into a seminar class instead- it may be time to find my notes and start up again.

DrSnide

I have to say I am loving walkability.  My apt is close to downtonw and half mile from the jail I am working at, half mile to the library, and even less to the 400 block in Wausau where I fortunately(unfortunately?) have found J Gumbos and am eating there often.  I explained to my son in college that I live in a 200 sq foot room, walk to work and the library with my backpack, take my laundry home with me on the weekends, and watch netflix.  He said "Dad, you're a college student" :)

Had to tell him there's a differnce between getting paid to do these things and having to pay to do these things. ;)

MarkK

;D ;D

I'll have to try the J Gumbos  haven't been there
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

DrSnide

J Gumbos is pretty good (not great) cajun food but very reasonably priced.  Its sort of like the Chipolte of Cajun food only a little bit nicer.   Limited menu but good slection of hot sauces and good flavor.  I've been getting the Volcano Chicken - not bad at all for 8 bucks.