Intermat is saying Barry Davis contract extended!

Started by leg turk, April 24, 2015, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

3 more years of coulda, woulda, shoulda and wait till next year with the great recruiting class .

charteroak1

It seems like this is standard protocol for most coaches these days.  The coaches have a 4-5 year contract, so when recruiting a student/athlete knows the coach will be around while attending that University. 

Sounds like Mr. Fish needs a hug.  Mr. Fish, why don't you help out Barry and Co. by giving them a call and giving them all of your great ideas. 

lizard king

Why does everyone get sooo upset when someone says something negative about Barry?  He is the head coach and this is a forum, correct?  Do we need to spend a lot of time bashing the program, no.  Or the kids, no.  But really the head coach at a big University should get crap if not winning enough....  Nice guy, great wrestler, has had some good years, but part of coaching is taking the crap, or ignoring it.  So, I think everyone should lighten up and let others complain once in a while.  It gives us others something to read, otherwise why even look at this board?

npope

Quote from: lizard king on June 24, 2015, 10:39:47 AM
Why does everyone get sooo upset when someone says something negative about Barry?  He is the head coach and this is a forum, correct?  Do we need to spend a lot of time bashing the program, no.  Or the kids, no.  But really the head coach at a big University should get crap if not winning enough....  Nice guy, great wrestler, has had some good years, but part of coaching is taking the crap, or ignoring it.  So, I think everyone should lighten up and let others complain once in a while.  It gives us others something to read, otherwise why even look at this board?

Personally, I welcome both the anti- and pro-Davis posts - they provide us all with some much needed entertainment during the lull of summer wrestling. IMO, everyone is welcome to their opinion on the matter and should feel free to voice it. But I must admit, it is fun to poke and prod some posters when they seem a bit too far left or right on the matter.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

If this were the football program then the athletic director would have a huge interest in the win/loss record of the program and care greatly about every single game.
You would not even have to ask if he attended the games.   Barry would have been gone a heck of a long time ago if this was football. But., middle of the pack in wrestling is acceptable.
The statement that is kind of funny is that we always say "next year" the team will be good.
Now if Medbery does his Olympic redshirt, we will all be saying it again.
However, the team will be loaded with a bunch of good seniors if Medbery does come back a year later and is the best case scenario if your
goal is to load up the team for one good year before dropping off into the bottom half of the Big Ten Conference again.

hammen

Quote from: The Angry Fish on June 24, 2015, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: charteroak1 on June 24, 2015, 09:04:31 AM
It seems like this is standard protocol for most coaches these days.  The coaches have a 4-5 year contract, so when recruiting a student/athlete knows the coach will be around while attending that University. 

Sounds like Mr. Fish needs a hug.  Mr. Fish, why don't you help out Barry and Co. by giving them a call and giving them all of your great ideas. 

Pretty sure Coach Davis isn't interested in my opinion.....I would however enjoy a conversation with the other "dingle Barry", I'd enjoy giving Coach Alverez a piece of my mind!

The only way that happens if you are an athlete, alum and/or donor (probably need to be a combination). Based on the quality of your posts I'm going to assume that is not the case, so unfortunately Mr. Alvarez will not be presented the opportunity to hear your concerns.

hammen

Using words like "dingle," not being able to correctly spell out the name of the person you want to give a piece of your mind, and just the general delivery of your opinion really dimish the quality for me.

Barry Alvarez is a busy man, so the opportunities to actually interact with him are limited to those events he attends, of which need to be involved with the University or program in some sort.

npope

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on June 25, 2015, 09:24:08 AM
Quote from: npope on June 24, 2015, 03:16:38 PM
Quote from: The Angry Fish on June 24, 2015, 12:56:05 PM
it is sophomoric 

I resemble that comment

No you don't Pope, you are a wordsmith.

I can assure you without reservation that the depth of my ability to say something stupid is virtually without bounds - or so my wife tells me.

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on June 25, 2015, 10:45:36 AM
Quote from: npope on June 25, 2015, 10:33:13 AM
I can assure you without reservation that the depth of my ability to say something stupid is virtually without bounds - or so my wife tells me.

I heard Shakespeare's wife said the same thing about him.

All wives...it's part of the job they sign-on for.

Nat Pope

stp

Barry is gone after his daughter graduates. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

dman

stp

Quote from: dman on July 13, 2015, 07:42:09 AM
Quote from: stp on July 12, 2015, 09:41:40 AM

When does she graduate?
Four or five years I'm guessing.  
Last I read one of his daughters is running for the Badger XC and track team.  Amy Davis won D2 state XC in 2014 running a super fast time.  
http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/cross-country/wiaa-div-state-cross-country-madison-edgewood-s-amy-davis/article_9d9b7a5d-e7d2-5c1f-b211-177565487957.html

Barry has another daughter who runs but not sure what grade.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

dman

Quote from: stp on July 13, 2015, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: dman on July 13, 2015, 07:42:09 AM
Quote from: stp on July 12, 2015, 09:41:40 AM

When does she graduate?
Four or five years I'm guessing.  
Last I read one of his daughters is running for the Badger XC and track team.  Amy Davis won D2 state XC in 2014 running a super fast time.  
http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/cross-country/wiaa-div-state-cross-country-madison-edgewood-s-amy-davis/article_9d9b7a5d-e7d2-5c1f-b211-177565487957.html

Barry has another daughter who runs but not sure what grade.

Wow....seems like she is a great athlete!

Numbers

Quote from: Numbers on April 24, 2015, 03:28:25 PM
Quote from: leg turk on April 24, 2015, 02:38:52 PM
Until 2018

Really was just extended one year today on his rolling three year contract.

Here is some additional insight from jsonline today.

Madison — Bo Ryan continues to tease Wisconsin fans by suggesting he won't be one-more-and-done after all.

Ryan, who announced on June 29 that the 2015-'16 season would be his last as UW's men's basketball coach, has twice publicly reminded reporters he has a five-year contract and can always change his mind.

Ryan, 67, playfully broached the subject one day after announcing his impending retirement.

"It's kind of interesting," he said in talking about his relationship with athletic director Barry Alvarez. "When you're working for a guy like Barry, it is: 'If you want to retire next year, fine. If you change your mind, fine.'

"So, that's where it is."

The UW athletic board in April extended Ryan's contract through the 2019-'20 season.

"I have a five-year contract," said Ryan, who has lobbied for associate head coach Greg Gard to replace him. "How open is that? Barry says: 'Hey, if at the end of the year...your decision.'

"How would you like to work in that kind of environment? That's pretty good."