DirectTV ... I signed up... NOW WHAT?

Started by TomM, August 16, 2015, 03:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Gal at Mennards sold me on the idea of 'saving money' by going to DirectTV.  I'll be keeping Charter internet.
They install on Tuesday...
I have a couple questions and thought maybe some of you might have experience.

Regarding the installation; Where? Should I put it on the roof? (just put a new roof on last August.) Will that damage the roof? These guys must know what they are doing, right?  Or what about a pole next to the house? (southwest corner evidently).  It is an extra $60.00 to put up a pole.

Any other caveats I should be aware of regarding the installation etc?
Thanks,
Tom
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Pole for sure.

Snow may stick to it and if it happens when you are watching the big tens, you are going to want to clear that snow, climbing on the roof in the winter, less than ideal. Throwing boots on and wiping it clean in 20 seconds.

Check out where you have the cable coming into the house, or where it aggregates just to know where your cables are running. Most these installers are really good.

TomM

Thanks.  I have some trees 'in the way' perhaps and wondering if DirecTV needs to point southwest or southeast? 
Glad you mentioned the snow issue... hmmmm... Was thinking roof would be my best spot. Now... not so much. 
They come tomorrow to install.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Quote from: TomM on August 17, 2015, 10:06:26 AM
Thanks.  I have some trees 'in the way' perhaps and wondering if DirecTV needs to point southwest or southeast? 
Glad you mentioned the snow issue... hmmmm... Was thinking roof would be my best spot. Now... not so much. 

If I recall, the guy told me towards Dallas, but I suspect that is different where you are. The signal goes up pretty fast so they can move the dish relative to the tree I'm sure.

badgerjohn

Quote from: TomM on August 17, 2015, 10:06:26 AM

tell them to bring a chainsaw,,,,,,, they prolly do ,,,,,, standard operating procedure
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

fangmbj

tell them to bring a chainsaw,,,,,,, they prolly do ,,,,,, standard operating procedure

They won't bring a chainsaw and they are instructed not to tell you which trees are in the way.  They don't want to take responsibility for cutting down the wrong trees.  I believe it's south west.

bigG

Mine's southeast. Splains the bad reception. 8)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dale Einerson

bigG

I live in a valley and lose reception all the time (rain or snow.) Wish Verizon would have told me I might not be able to make calls from home. :-\
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ElectricGuy

big fan of direct tv - for rural customers - nothing better   ,  But if you had Charter - yea you may save a couple dollars, but it's not as reliable as some mentioned.

I've installed a few dishes in the day for direct tv and wild blue internet (on the side) - If you have any tree issues that maybe close now - pick a different spot because it will be a common fight, when they leaf up, when the wind blows / moves a branch, etc....   I would guess that 95% of the dishes are installed on roofs / eves.   But yes you will have to clear some snow from time to time.  Putting on a pole away from house isn't always a great idea - you want to make sure then they use some type of conduit at the exit off the pole and entrance into the home - or else - then your fighting with weed whippers and lawn mower damages. 

Couple of items I found interesting

* you have a "gal at Menards" who is your electronics expert -  I didn't even know they sold Direct TV
* you get Direct TV the weekend the fight between them and CBS affiliates come to a head and CBS blocks the it's channels on there - aka - not broadcasting the PGA championship   http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/14/KFMB-direcTV-uverse-blackout-san-deigo-chargers/

We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

maggie

NO SUNSHINE, NO RECEPTION!     that simple.... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

It's not as sensitive as these guys are making it the ONLY time I loose the signal is super heavy down pours or snow acumulation of many inches. I have allot of trees we found a spot without easily. I have lost other channels in bad weather but still had the local channels. They use a meter to set the direction for the strongest signal reception if done correctly you will have few problems.

bigoil

Dale Einerson

Quote from: Goat Roper on August 19, 2015, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: bigoil on August 19, 2015, 12:29:32 PM
update Tom?

He is getting ready for Canada.  Update will have to wait :D

Ah ha!  Open lines on political discussions pretty soon...and with the dish, if that is Tom's internet connection, we are green lighted on snowy and rainy days.

hammer

I was told that point it towards Arizona because DTV has a satelite over that state. So that would be southwest.

I had DTV for years and I really like it. The most HD channels on the market, and if you have the new stuff you make a call and under their contract they will come out and adjust that dish at no cost.

I have mine on the deck so with snow I just have to brush it off and during  big rains I still get the local channels but not the other ones to well. ESPN comes in good under heavy rain so does USA and the history channel but some of the others not so well. Over all pretty good for me and minor problems to say the least.