Cruise Control

Started by easytopin, August 13, 2015, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytopin

Driving last weekend on the interstate for about 2.5 hours I bet i passed and was later passed by same vehicle a couple times. I set my speedometer on the interstate all the time....what about everyone else. It has to save gas I would believe.

littleguy301

I also use the cruise in my rig.

Work truck doesnt have it and YES I have passed and been passed by the same car a few times ;D Work truck and dont flip the bill on fuel so I guess I am not as watchful as I would be in my personal truck ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

TomM

Cruise control...
Recently retired my 1995 Jeep Wrangler, pretty much my every day driver during that time... 18.5 years, 186,000 miles (rust won the battle.. and the power steering hoses and the gas pump retired first... argh...).  Got it with 14,000 miles on it in October of 1996.
Anyhow...
Never had cruise control... some long trips (up to 6,000 miles on one) ... Guess I felt I was more alert to traffic and my speed.

I'm pretty sure I was 'that guy' ... the one speeding up and slowing down... and not realizing how sloooooow he was suddenly going. (Wasn't a cell phone issue... just a concentration issue) I'd say going 'too fast' in that thing was not my problem... Get over 60 and you felt you were going 90mph... More comfortable the slower you went.  Always bought pretty good 'road' tires to smooth out the ride.

(no cruise, no power windows, no power locks... did have factory A/C and towing package, ABS brakes, 6 Cyl., 4X4 ...) ... sold it a month ago... wouldn't start (fuel pump issue).. so it was a sad farewell...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Happens all the time to myself as well. I know I can count to n one hand how many times that guy was me.

My bro in law use to always say it was worse to have cc for mpg....looked it up:

From edmunds:

Test #3 Use Cruise Control
Result: Surprisingly effective way to save gas
Cold Hard Facts: Up to 14-percent savings, average savings of 7 percent
Recommendation: If you've got it, use it.

Dale Einerson

Will admit, a pet peeve of mine is not the old people going too slow in the passing lane, but instead, is the guy that passes me, then gets in front of me in the right lane, then slows down... I have cruise control on so I get in the left lane, pass...rinse and repeat.

I am then reminded of Gallagher's bit where he said every driver should be equipped with a dart gun that you can shoot at somebody driving like an idiot (sorry Tom and Bigoil)...that way a cop can ticket somebody for driving like an idiot when they see the guy go by with several "idiot" darts attached to their vehicle.

imnofish

Quote from: Dale Einerson on August 17, 2015, 09:01:14 AM
Will admit, a pet peeve of mine is not the old people going too slow in the passing lane, but instead, is the guy that passes me, then gets in front of me in the right lane, then slows down... I have cruise control on so I get in the left lane, pass...rinse and repeat.

I am then reminded of Gallagher's bit where he said every driver should be equipped with a dart gun that you can shoot at somebody driving like an idiot (sorry Tom and Bigoil)...that way a cop can ticket somebody for driving like an idiot when they see the guy go by with several "idiot" darts attached to their vehicle.

Hadn't heard that one until now, but I like it!  ;D

Personally, I use my cruise control nearly as often as I use my seat belt (which I ALWAYS use).
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Quote from: Dale Einerson on August 17, 2015, 09:01:14 AM

I drive a lot and like I said, I'm sure I'm not perfect but I have probably done that 3 times and I'm keenly aware of it because of how much I hate it.

I also hate the left lane driver, no matter the speed. Move over when clear.

bigG

True dat action. Hate passing lane pigs. Git over. I use cruise. Great feature.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Even have it on my Indian Cheiftain Motorcycle love the cruise. 186,000 let see Tom that would be 5 years for me. I put 45,000 on my new Honda last year.

Worse thing with old folks is the sudden discovery of the gas pedal only in the passing lanes they put on on the two lane roads. They to those things at 53 MPH and by the middle they are warp3 till they exit them then back to 53 GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

imnofish

Goat, it's either because South Carolinians don't know right from left, or they mistakenly self-identify as European tourists.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

I set it speed trap areas from time to time. That way when I speed up and let off the gas the car will break me back to the set speed. They lowered the speed on my rural road to 35, I generally like to go 60 :)

ramjet

Quote from: The Angry Fish on September 06, 2015, 07:49:48 PM
I have more issues with cyclists on roads than anything else. Those cats annoy me to no end. Anyway, I rarely use cruise unless it's light traffic. I get lazy using it during long trips, and sometimes find myself spacing out...

You probably annoy them as much.....😜🚴🏻🚵🏿