MSUM Wrestling Adds DI All-American Steven Monk to Coaching Staff

Started by TomM, May 22, 2015, 01:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

MSUM Wrestling Adds DI All-American Steven Monk to Coaching Staff

MOORHEAD, Minn. – Minnesota State University Moorhead head wrestling coach Kris Nelson has announced that former North Dakota State All-American Steven Monk has joined the Dragon coaching staff.

"We are very excited to add Steven Monk to our coaching staff at MSU Moorhead.  Steven has proven that he knows what it takes to be successful at the college level having been an NCAA Division I All-American," Nelson said. "I see Steven's hard work, dedication and commitment to his wrestling career carrying over into his role as assistant coach at MSUM.  He will help with all day to day operations of the wrestling program from recruiting to working on the mat with student athletes. The MSUM wrestlers are very excited to get started working with Steven and they know they will benefit from his vast knowledge of the sport."

A native of Wausau, Wis., Monk had a decorated Division I wrestling career at NDSU. In 2014 he was a Division I All-American after placing third in the nation at 165 pounds. Monk is a three-time national qualifier and a three-time Western Wrestling Conference champion. He finished with a 134-24 career record with 52 pins.

He was also the fifth-most dominant wrestler in Division I in 2014. He was also the 2013 Midlands Tournament champion.

Monk is the brother of former Dragon wrestler Conner Monk, who was a national qualifier in 2014.

"I'm really excited for the opportunity to coach at MSUM," Monk said. "Coaching wrestling is something I've always wanted to do since the sport has given me so much. I look forward to working with both the wrestlers and coaching staff to help this program get to the top."
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"