2015-16 projected lineup

Started by BuckyMatRat, May 13, 2015, 07:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

197 Peissig/Ritter/Chadd

I am going to predict that Chadd and Ritter can both beat
Peissig and those two battle it out for varsity.
Peissig is a walk on athlete whose real love is in the classroom,
and wrestling is more of a hobby for him,
but for Chadd, wrestling is a lifestyle.

I am sure npope will tell me that Peissig
will have the better overall college experience
because college is more about your schoolwork, not
about success on the mat.

npope

Quote from: billymurphy on July 08, 2015, 01:07:18 AM
197 Peissig/Ritter/Chadd

Peissig will have the better overall college experience because college is more about your schoolwork, not about success on the mat  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammen

197 Peissig/Ritter/Chadd

Those are some pretty personal assumptions you're making. Saw Peissig in the room getting some extra work in about a week ago. He's dedicated.

leg turk

Pretty sure they are all dedicated.

hammen

Right. Exactly the point. Asserting that a B1G wrestler is doing the sport as a hobby is insulting in my mind.

lizard king

I believe they are all committed and work their butts off.  That said, the amount of talent you have and the kind of student you are, can effect each other.  Their are extremes at both ends, extremely smart and extremely talented, but excluding those guys, sometimes kids commit one way or another.  Guys who are there to focus on wrestling and do what they have to, to keep their grades high, may end up differently then guys who are there to study difficult subjects and do what they have to to be successful in wrestling.  Neither is bad or good, all I am saying is I know at least one, and I think many guys, who could have been better wrestlers in college if they would have taken an easier major and focused a little more on wrestling.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: lizard king on July 08, 2015, 10:12:07 AM
...all I am saying is I know at least one, and I think many guys, who could have been better wrestlers in college if they would have taken an easier major and focused a little more on wrestling.

Ah, the JRob philosophy of successful college wrestling. 

Seems a great plan for the wrestling coaches and "committed" wrestlers, then there are those pesky education, job and school loan thingies at the end. 

Jimmy

Dale Einerson

Who is ripping on JRob?  

It could easily said that when it comes to individual and team wrestling success, JRob is in a very high level class.

Another view:
JRob - When you come to Minnesota your job is be the best possible wrestler you can be.  You have the whole rest of your life to get an education.

Recuit - So, let me see if I have this straight.  What I am being offered is the opportunity to train with the best, potentially achieve individually and as a team.  In return, the University of Minnesota will pay for somewhere between 0-75% of my tuition, but probably in the lower half of that range, help to employ me at minimal wages and significant hours at wrestling camps that will diminish my ability to provide income through other jobs.  Then, I will have taken the minimum 12 credits per semester and potentially prepared myself for a career in a job that currently doesn't require a college degree to enter, or, go to school for another 2-3 years on my own dime.  By the time I am done I will have gnarly ears, great stories, have proven to myself and others that I am one tough competitor and have learned the meaning of work to improve; potentially $35-60k in school loans, and FAFSA only covers 5 years of schooling so I will need to work and go part-time over more than 2-3 years.   I am committed!

The above is only marginally facetious...

You really have to marvel at those that have put themselves in a position to be recruited by the elite wrestling powers in Division 1.  Then, to compete at a high level while maintaining academic standing knowing that wrestling is a lifestyle at least as much as it is a sport.  

I should hope we would all appreciate the significant commitment and sacrifice all who participate at this level undertake; that we would hope that all of those that do so have significant opportunities and options, without corresponding significant debt, when they are through this life experience.

Harris

197 Peissig/Ritter/Chadd

More fuel for the fire.  I sure hope Peissig reads these threads  ;)

lizard king

Dale,

Actually what you are saying was kind of my point.  I believe at many schools you do have to make that choice, at least D1.  There are a few that can commit to wrestling and still be straight A's with a Biology degree, but for the most part you can not commit 100% to both school and wrestling.  (A social life is out).

I am not saying the wrestlers who go 100% wrestling are doing the right thing, or wrong, I am just saying most can not do both.  Your Minni example is correct, and that is probably what it takes to be national champs, not that it is right, and it is not right in my mind, but that is what it takes.  By the way, wrestling is not alone.

bigG

This is what might separate Cornell apart. They seem to have their priorities aligned to the academic side. Makes them easy to cheer for.

Mush as I dislike Brands as a coach (just how he tries to intimidate refs), so I like how Iowa kids do in the classroom. It must be a heck of a mess to tow all of that around. But, they're resilient creatures, these young ones.

Depends on the priorities of the kid.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Indeed, when one looks at the athletic honor roll for wrestling, Iowa does a very nice job. I hadn't heard that the Cornell team was necessarily good in this respect but if so, good for them.

I heard recently that part of Medbery's recent decision to do the Olympic red shirt was to help support his efforts to get into med school. However, I don't remember seeing Medbery on the UW list of wrestlers who made the academic honor roll. I would think making the academic honor roll would be a minimum requirement if one expects to get admitted to med school. Did I miss something?

Nat Pope

lizard king

If in fact Medberry is a pre-Med student and wrestling as well as he is, that is incredible and Wisconsin is a great place for him.  That said, there are a lot of athletes, and I am trying to say this tactfully,  that have very good grades and are recognized for that, but they also have a less demanding major.  If you are in the sciences for example, you have many labs that are time consuming and competitive, tough courses.  Several other majors as well.  At many schools, however, athletes are directed to a particular major because it is not as time consuming.  Did I say that correctly?  Cornell for example I believe has a separate school that many athletes are admitted in and graduate from.  This is where the choice between wrestling and going to school may differ with going to school and wrestling.   Dumb point I guess but I think kids going in need to be aware of this?

npope

I don't know if it has ever been stated that Medbery is in pre-med. People are accepted into med school from a variety of majors, of which pre-med is one. Pre-med preps the student in a variety of courses that would likely put him/her into a good position for acceptance (assuming good results). But a guy could also be an English major and also be accepted into the med school (although far less likely).

Thus, an athlete who is in a kinesiology major, for example, might apply for and get accepted into med school, as well, although not without less certainty than perhaps a pre-med major with good grades.

I did just see that Medbery was an academic all-Big Ten in 2014, so he has done okay on occasion with his grades. I wonder what the major is?

Nat Pope