What Does it Really Mean?

Started by Ivan Stankowski, May 07, 2015, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

The below information was taken from DICW website.

Team Recruiting Rankings
2010 - NR
2011 - 17th
2012 - 8th
2013 - NR
2014 - 17th

Seems to mirror where the Badgers finish at Nationals, is this just coincidence?

Jimmy

Handles II

Teams that get the best recruits each year tend to do better at Nationals. It' isn't that simple, but if you follow who the top 5 teams in the nation were over a 10 year average, then looked at how they did recruiting, I'm sure there would be a correlation.  ;)

Ghetto

Exactly. We cry about not getting the best recruits. A top 10 class is a pretty big deal. You do that consistently and you are in the hunt.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Jimmy

Those teams that consistently get the top recruiting classes also have something else in common. They consistently deveiope that talent .

npope

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

mkm13

Quote from: Jimmy on May 11, 2015, 09:48:37 PM
Those teams that consistently get the top recruiting classes also have something else in common. They consistently deveiope that talent .

I think Medbery, Taylor, and Jordan would tell you Barry and the assistants do a good job developing the talent.  The issue is we need more of that type of talent.  It is tough to bring in guys who do nothing at the national level in high school, and expect them to do well at the big 10 level. 

charteroak1

Bingo Mkm13.  With only 9.9 Scholarships you have to rely on in state talent and when that talent isn't producing you get the results we've been having.  Yes, we do have a few elite wrestlers in our state, but like I said in another thread, when the Badgers are left to recruiting the same kids that the UW D3 teams are looking to get, you're going to have problems as a D1 school.  I've been in the room numerous times and I think Barry goes a very nice job.  With the addition of Kyle, Mitch and Trevor I believe we're in good hands.

Jimmy

The key word in my post is consistently , that has not happened .true the three you listed are looking very good . But I can name many others with national accolades that that did not.

mkm13

Quote from: Jimmy on May 12, 2015, 08:07:42 AM
The key word in my post is consistently , that has not happened .true the three you listed are looking very good . But I can name many others with national accolades that that did not.

You can name others at every school who did not have the success at the college level people expected.  Not every elite recruit turns into a great college wrestler...at any school.

Jimmy

You are right. But there are schools who CONSISTANTLY put a higher number of men on the podium and that is why they consistently get a higher percentage of national recruits.There are also diamonds in the rough ,that fly under the national radar out there. The ability to find and develope them will help Bucky obtain a history of place where wrestlers want to be.

npope

In moving from a middle of the pack team to an elite team I think there needs to be some sort of a "bang" that happens; something of significance has to impact the current set of dynamics. For example, look at PSU when Sanderson arrived. Look at Wisconsin when Kemp arrived - and to a lesser degree when Howe showed up. Events like that almost immediately change the dynamics of the program (and the recruiting). It is very difficult (I think) to come into a program and change it incrementally into an elite program. Its almost like there is a chasm there over which a bridge can't be built. Instead, you need a "rocket launcher" to fire the first volley to the other side to tether a rope to start the process.

Without a "rocket launcher," I just wouldn't expect to see Bucky being counted among the elite teams. That said, being elite is over-rated.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

vsmf2010

Quote from: npope on May 12, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
In moving from a middle of the pack team to an elite team I think there needs to be some sort of a "bang" that happens; something of significance has to impact the current set of dynamics. For example, look at PSU when Sanderson arrived. Look at Wisconsin when Kemp arrived - and to a lesser degree when Howe showed up. Events like that almost immediately change the dynamics of the program (and the recruiting). It is very difficult (I think) to come into a program and change it incrementally into an elite program. Its almost like there is a chasm there over which a bridge can't be built. Instead, you need a "rocket launcher" to fire the first volley to the other side to tether a rope to start the process.

Without a "rocket launcher," I just wouldn't expect to see Bucky being counted among the elite teams. That said, being elite is over-rated.

Would your "bang" theory apply to Ohio State and Minnesota? If so what was the bang?

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 13, 2015, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: npope on May 12, 2015, 09:00:13 AM

Would your "bang" theory apply to Ohio State and Minnesota? If so what was the bang?

Just the most dominat college wrestler the past years and the Hodge winner