Claims that youth wrestling doesn't matter

Started by Oldtimer, April 08, 2015, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

There is no right or wrong answer...every kids and every family is different.  Heck in my own family all three of my boys are very different.  If what we did for one we did for all...I'd probably have only one wrestler.

I always say don't put to much into it because its just youth wrestling.  By that I mean what the outcomes are at the youth doesn't guarantee success or lack there of at the high school level.  Plus I don't want too much emphasis on success at the younger level because we loose to many wrestlers because of it.  That doesn't mean it isn't important for other reasons.  Our family has had some of the most memorable times on wrestling trips, have met some our closest friends through wrestling.  My boys have and still are learning to be good, confident, respectful young men with the help of wrestling.  So yes results do not really matter at youth.  Them having fun and learning a passion for the sport is...and there is no one way to cultivate this.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Oldtimer

Fun discussion.  I still stand by my point that kids that have success in youth generally will have success also in high school.  There are of course those that were pushed too hard by daddy and quit.  I've seen it and it's unfortunate but my comment applies to those that continued on.  There were also points made that if kids did not have success in youth some had very good high school careers, even college.  I again attribute much of that to good coaching, parenting, etc. (I think I said superb) that gets a kid to believe in themselves even through the struggles.

Beware of the northern sleeper

Ghetto

Youth wrestling can be good and bad. Tons of kids not mentally ready for the sport get driven from it by youth wrestling. Others build upon their failures and successes and go on to be great in high school and beyond.

I think that it depends on the kids, their parents, and the coaches they have. So many variables. We've never had a youth state place winner in all my years at Bay. We've also never had a state place winner at the high school. I'd say we've had success on some levels. I'm not sure I want to trade what we've done at our youth levels, because there is such a fine balance. If our youth coaches emphasized winning at the youngest levels, we might have even more kids quitting before they get to the high school.

That's not exactly an answer. Just thoughts. Not sure there is an answer.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

visionquest

Quote from: DrSnide on April 08, 2015, 03:16:06 PM
As the father of a wrestler who is now an adult and moved on to other things I will say this.  Youth wrestling matters a great deal.  Not because of the wins/loses, trophies, experience, getting ready for highs school, etc.  but because you get the opportunity to spend a whole day or whole weekend with your son and/or daughter talking, hanging out, and sharing some great memories.  I really miss taking that car trip and talking to my son every Saturday - that's what I miss and that was what made wrestling a success in our house.  All the rest of it is just gravy.

The best post I've read.  I can only hope to have the same experience!
Proverbs 27:17