TomM

Stieber Wins 2015 Dan Hodge Trophy
Becomes first Buckeye to ever win the Heisman Trophy of wrestling

RELATED INFO       
•         Online Release: http://go.osu.edu/WR_HodgeTrophy330
•         WIN Magazine Release
•         NCAA Championships Photo Gallery
•         Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

COLUMBUS, Ohio  – Add another first to the list of accomplishments by redshirt senior Logan Stieber. A four-time national champion and Big Ten champion, Stieber is now the first-ever Buckeye wrestler to win the WIN Magazine/Culture House Dan Hodge Trophy, presented by ASICS. The award is given annually to the nation's top collegiate wrestler and is considered to be the Heisman Trophy of wrestling.

"Growing up, the first college match I saw was Cael Sanderson winning his fourth title," said Stieber. "I knew the Hodge Trophy was the biggest and best award so I wanted to win it. To now be in that group is very humbling and I'm proud to have won it."

Nine days ago, Stieber became the fourth all-time Division I wrestler to win four NCAA championships in his career when he defeated Edinboro's Mitchell Port, 11-5, for the 141-pound championship. Stieber, whose career record is 119-3, also won NCAA titles at 133 pounds in 2012 (vs. Jordan Oliver, Oklahoma State) and 2013 (vs. Tony Ramos, Iowa) and a third at 141 pounds in 2014 (vs. Devin Carter, Virginia Tech). He finished his senior season with 10 pins, eight technical falls four major decisions on his way to being named the NCAA's Most Dominant Wrestler and the NWCA Most Outstanding Wrestler.

"As soon as last season ended, I met with him," said head coach Tom Ryan. "We discussed that the pinnacle of the sport would be to win four titles, winning the Hodge and winning the national team championship. Those were the three things we discussed. The fact that he led the team to a title, won his fourth and now won the Hodge is an awesome end to his career."

The list of Stieber's career accomplishments include:
•         The first wrestler in the history of the Big Ten conference to win four national titles.
•         With a 16-1 tech fall win over Iowa's Josh Dziewa in the finals, became the first Ohio State wrestler to ever win four Big Ten titles.
•         Finished his career on a 50-match winning streak dating back to December, 2013.
•         Fastest Buckeye to ever reach the 100-win milestone (103 matches).
•         Winning percentage ranks first in Ohio State history (.975).
•         50 career falls, tied for the most in school history.
•         Just the second wrestler ever to win four CKLV titles.
•         Big Ten Most Outstanding Wrestler and Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Big Ten Championships.
•         At the 2015 NCAA Championships, won four of five matches by a combined score of 57-9 and added a first period pinfall in his other win.
•         96 of Stieber's 119 wins at Ohio State were bonus point wins.
•         Becomes only the second wrestler in history to win both the Hodge and Jr. Dan Hodge Trophy, given to the top high school wrestler in the country.

The Dan Hodge Trophy has been presented to the nation's best wrestler since 1995. Created by W.I.N. founder Mike Chapman, the award is named after the former three-time University of Oklahoma national champion (1955-57) who never allowed a takedown in his college career. He also pinned 36 of his 46 opponents. Criteria for the award includes a wrestler's record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.

Led by Stieber, Ohio State captured its first ever team National Championship, toping second-place Iowa to 18 points at last week's NCAA Championships.

STIEBER YEAR-BY-YEAR RECORDS/STATS
2011-12 (133 lbs.): 33-2 (16 falls, two tech falls, five major decisions)
2012-13 (133 lbs.): 27-0 (14 falls, seven technical falls, two major decisions)
2013-14 (141 lbs.): 30-1 (10 falls, 11 technical falls, seven major decisions)
2014-15 (141 lbs.): 29-0 (10 falls, eight tech falls, four major decisions)
TOTAL: 119-3 (50 falls, 28 technical falls, 18 major decisions)

All-Time Hodge Trophy Winners
2015 - Logan Stieber, Ohio State
2014 - David Taylor, Penn State
2013 - Kyle Dake, Cornell
2012 - David Taylor, Penn State
2011 - Jordan Burroughs, Nebraska
2010 - Jayson Ness, Minnesota
2009 - Jake Herbert, Northwestern
2008 - Brent Metcalf, Iowa
2007 - Ben Askren, Missouri
2006 - Ben Askren, Missouri
2005 - Steve Mocco, Oklahoma State
2004 - Emmett Willson, Mont. St.-Northern
2003 - Eric Larkin, Arizona State
2002 - Cael Sanderson, Iowa State
2001 - Cael Sanderson, Iowa State
2001 - Nick Ackerman, Simpson College
2000 - Cael Sanderson, Iowa State
1999 - Stephen Neal, Cal State Bakersfield
1998 - Mark Ironside, Iowa
1997 - Kerry McCoy, Penn State
1996 - Les Gutches, Oregon State
1995 - T.J. Jaworsky, North Carolina
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

So well-deserved!  Wish he was a Badger, though.  Interesting how he had fewer pins each year... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!