For Drew

Started by blastdouble, March 24, 2015, 10:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 24, 2015, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: Mat Warrior on March 24, 2015, 03:25:15 PM
I say we all petition for Jaquar to become the next coach. Nobody will have anything to icky about in 10 years when we are 10x defending national champs.

AMEN! There is no reason besides it is all BD's fault.
No, everyone talks about going to the top. It is the others Barry's fault.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

wrastle63

I was being sarcastic. I feel we had a good year.

ramjet

I will say this if the results you are  talking were big10 football nobody would be happy and be asking for the coaches head. I think Jag although his approach is not the best might have a point. So if nobody immediately comes to mind do we settle? Not look or explore?  Is change always bad? Sure mediocrity may appease some. I wonder how most of the wrestlers feel about thier coach? That may tell you if the wrestlers can motivated or developed to thier full potential. I have little doubt every single one of those wrestlers try as hard as they can what grind and tough sport but the motivation and coaching to get more than the individual ability is different thing all together.........

DocWrestling

The only teams you can compare yourself against truly are similar institutions which are those in your conference.

There is no way a basketball coach or football coach would still be employed with the same Big Ten results/placement over the past 15 years.  He has been coach for 21 years?  The Badger wrestling team is what Badger basketball and football were pre Alavarez and pre-Ryan.  Coaches make a difference!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

aarons23

Quote from: woody53 on March 24, 2015, 06:16:13 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 24, 2015, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: Mat Warrior on March 24, 2015, 03:25:15 PM
I say we all petition for Jaquar to become the next coach. Nobody will have anything to icky about in 10 years when we are 10x defending national champs.

AMEN! There is no reason besides it is all BD's fault.
No, everyone talks about going to the top. It is the others Barry's fault.

You are correct...Alverez needs to hold the wrestling coach to the same standards as football and basketball.....it's time for a change. Alverez needs to make the change.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigdawg

My thoughts on this years tournament:

133: Taylor wrestled a little worse than I expected.  I really think that he is better than Guilibon and Beckman.  In the Guilibon match, he had a few questionable calls against him, but he still did not wrestle well.  I couldn't understand why he was going for throws in the third period after racking up 2 takedowns in the second.  Then his after match reaction is something I found to be a little embarrassing.  Overall I love his hardcore wrestling style, but right now I am a little irked by his attitude after that quarterfinal match

141- I though Jesse had some flashes of excellence throughout the tournament.  He came storming out of the gates and took down Dean Heil (who later went on to All-American) in 30 seconds and was wrestling a great match before Heil caught him when Jesse was going for a body lock.  I think it was big for him to get a win at the NCAA's and I hope he can build off it.  There is a phenomenal wrestler in this kid and every once in awhile he shows flashes of it.  If he can string that greatness together for 7 minutes, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

165- Despite taking 7th, I thought Zeke wrestled tough.  Granted I thought he was going to beat Walsh, but Walsh is a very tough wrestler who brought his A game in his last NCAA tournament.  It's pretty tough to keep beating a guy of that caliber.  I was very proud of Zeke though when he came back and beat Moreno in the blood round.  That was a HUGE win for him.  7th wasn't what I expected from him, but I do not think he benefitted from his draw in the consolation bracket.  My prediction is next year he comes back with a vengeance.

174- I was very pleased with Frank this year.  He was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch just because of how much he had progressed this year compared to the last few years.  I was pretty heart-broken to see him lose to Julson in the round of 16 after beating him earlier in the year.  God I really wanted to see him All-American, but I think Frank had a great senior season too end his career.

184- Ricky is on the brink of greatness.  He will have to have a big off season and put on some muscles, but I love the direction he is headed in and he has proven that he can hang with the big dawgs. (for example he beat Tim Dudley multiple times and he was an All-American)  Picking up a few wins in Saint Louis hopefully was a confidence builder for him and I really hope he improves off it next year.

197-Timmy's NCAA's went pretty much the same way as his season went: Start the match off with a freight train double and slowly fade away as the match went on.  In the end though, he did have some bright spots (rode a guy for 6:45) and was one match away from being on the podium.  Overall I thought he had a pretty up and down season with some very big highs and some extremely low lows.

285-Medbery pulled through in a very big way last weekend.  Beating Marsden in the quarters was exceptional and then beating Telford on Saturday was the biggest win of the tournament for the Badgers in my eyes.  4th place was pretty solid for him and I see him finishing a little higher on the podium next year with a rematch of the great Gwiz in the finals.  

17th place wasn't really what I expected going into the weekend, but I don't think it's anything to be to upset about.  We have a very solid team that I think will improve next year.  The time for Wisconsin too make a push is now!  Next year Medbery is a senior, Zeke the Freak is entering his prime, the sky is the limit for Taylor and Ricky, we have great recruits and redshirts coming into the line up, and most of all I think we have a great coaching staff.  I'll go with the bold prediction that we are a top ten team next year.  I like what we have to offer and it doesn't hurt to dream right?

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence but we'll never know as long as BD is here. After years of calling us "Barry haters", many are finally starting to realize that some of us were pretty accurate in our assessment of the coaching situation in Madison.
There is always next year

imnofish

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 24, 2015, 10:53:54 PM
The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence but we'll never know as long as BD is here. After years of calling us "Barry haters", many are finally starting to realize that some of us were pretty accurate in our assessment of the coaching situation in Madison.
There is always next year

But the grass IS always greener over the septic tank.  Maybe we are too focused on the color of grass. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

sudden_victory

This argument went on for a long time on the Penn State board at wrestling report.com concerning Troy Sunderland's coaching. There were even the identical comments, "be careful what you wish for, what are your qualifications?, you just hide behind a computer and complain, why don't you become an Iowa fan?" And so forth. They don't argue about their coach any more.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

dman

Never understood the intolerance of a fan's criticism over a coach/program??  That is what being a fan is about isn't it....caring enough about something that you call out the good and the bad?  Or is it just blindly following and never criticizing??   ::)

stp

Quote from: hammen on March 24, 2015, 12:37:57 PM
I'm not your "bro" jag, especially since I don't know who you are.

My thoughts are mixed. I was hoping to see Jimenez come through at 125, but he was hampered with mono starting after Midlands, which really crushed his season.

A friend on the college cross country team got mono and was never able to return to form. To come back a few months later is impressive.   Hopefully JJ's mono was not too severe and can fully recover.  
*imo- Jimenez looks tough but raw.  I think if he's a hard worker and motivated he'll qualify for ncaa's at 125 next season.  He can score team points at B10's and nationals.    

I liked what I saw of Jimenez.  

The hand shake thing with RT I'm not too concerned with.  He wrestled poor in a big match and was upset.  He's a young man in an emotional sport.  Cut him some slack.  RT's has a lot of intensity and heart.  
I am concerned with his scrambling and exposing back points.   His fun to watch funk gets him in trouble.  

Sulzer from VA faced all three Jordan's (Ben, zeke and Bo) over his college career going 1-3 overall. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Handles II

Can't cut anyone slack who won't shake hands in this sport. Simply not acceptable. You got beat, shake hands, then go deal with your emotions. Other than that, RT had a better year at 133 than I thought, but it certainly didn't help us at the other three weights (25,41,49), whether that was all based on RT's move or not, i don't know.

billymurphy

Alverez signed Davis to a long term deal.

Next years team will hitting its prime.  Medbery is wrestling great.
Taylor and Jordan have the potential to make the finals.
RR was a darn good freshman this year.  Freshman with his
kind of success have very good careers.

The weakness of the team this year was the Wisconsin
guys and Barry having the guys cut weight certainly
had a factor in their seasons. 

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: billymurphy on March 25, 2015, 11:31:09 AM
Alverez signed Davis to a long term deal.

Next years team will hitting its prime.  Medbery is wrestling great.
Taylor and Jordan have the potential to make the finals.
RR was a darn good freshman this year.  Freshman with his
kind of success have very good careers.

The weakness of the team this year was the Wisconsin
guys and Barry having the guys cut weight certainly
had a factor in their seasons. 

we had 4 holes this season and we loose 2 qualifiers at 174, 197... that is 6 spots out of 10 we need to address with quality wrestlers. 4 studs doesn't make a team. I think we could have better success at NCAA's because I expect them to place higher but our dual team may take a beating, especially if we actually have to wrestle PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Minn.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

imnofish

With hard work and maturity, our kids should be better next year, and at least one "surprise" will emerge.  One year's performance does not necessarily indicate future success.  Look at what happened to Minnesota this year, as an example.  That doesn't mean they have a bad coach or a fading program.  All teams will have to work hard and then roll the dice again next year.  Results, good or bad, are not guaranteed for anyone.  No individual or team controls all the variables that determine the final outcome.  Ohio State's first-ever championship was a big surprise to most and they certainly earned it, but a lot of other things outside their control had to fall into place for it to become a reality.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!