Main Menu

Coach Stech

Started by TomM, March 23, 2015, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Hall of Fame Coach Ed Stech from West Allis Central passed away today.
Coach Stech was a wonderful guy and will be missed.

http://www.wwca.org/page/show/1507202-ed-stech

Arrangements for Mr. Ed Stech are as follows:
Visitation: Friday, March 27, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Krause Funeral Home
12401 West National Avenue
New Berlin, WI
Funeral service: Saturday, March 28 at 10:00 a.m.
Wauwatosa Presbyterian Church
2366 North 80th Street, Wauwatosa
Private burial to follow.
(Details will also be in Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel on Thursday)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Ed was a great guy. Iconic. I thought for sure he'd pass in a wrestling gym somewhere.

He started organizing a tournament the minute he got to heaven.

Someone needs to start making the coffee.

Good man who did a lot for wrestling in our area.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

grahekf

Interestingly enough I was at the Lutheran Home on 76th and North last week because my mother in law was there recovering from some health issues.  I was walking down the hall with her and noticed Coach Stech in one of the rooms. I stopped in and introduced myself and we chatted for bit. I didn't ask specifics about why he was there but instead we chatted a bit about wrestling, the state tournament and some of his past wrestlers. He said he felt pretty old now that some of his wrestlers were at retirement age.  He proudly had a picture of this years WAC team sitting on the table near his bed.  We had a nice conversation and I think for a little bit he forgot why he was there.  He left a great legacy of service to the sport and touched a lot of young men's lives.

- Frank Grahek

Jzelinski

Quote from: grahekf on March 24, 2015, 08:25:32 AM
Interestingly enough I was at the Lutheran Home on 76th and North last week because my mother in law was there recovering from some health issues.  I was walking down the hall with her and noticed Coach Stech in one of the rooms. I stopped in and introduced myself and we chatted for bit. I didn't ask specifics about why he was there but instead we chatted a bit about wrestling, the state tournament and some of his past wrestlers. He said he felt pretty old now that some of his wrestlers were at retirement age.  He proudly had a picture of this years WAC team sitting on the table near his bed.  We had a nice conversation and I think for a little bit he forgot why he was there.  He left a great legacy of service to the sport and touched a lot of young men's lives.

- Frank Grahek

Great story!

bkraus

Very sad to hear.  And I agree Ghetto, there is a big tournament that weigh-ins just began.  Maroon and gold all over those mats.
Strive for Perfection

TLV

Quote from: Jzelinski on March 24, 2015, 10:05:50 AM
Quote from: grahekf on March 24, 2015, 08:25:32 AM

- Frank Grahek

Good for you, Frank. You helped him when he needed it the most. Well done!!

Great story!
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

bigG

Was my coach's coach. My grand-coach.
God bless Ed Stech.
Even in retirement, worked tourneys for middle-schoolers and the big boys. A true great.

At peace
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Arrangements for Mr. Ed Stech are as follows:
Visitation: Friday, March 27, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Krause Funeral Home
12401 West National Avenue
New Berlin, WI
Funeral service: Saturday, March 28 at 10:00 a.m.
Wauwatosa Presbyterian Church
2366 North 80th Street, Wauwatosa
Private burial to follow.
(Details will also be in Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel on Thursday)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"