NCAA'S

Started by Brett Favre - R.I.P., March 20, 2015, 01:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbird

I was just being optimistic that he'd have a breakout tournament. 

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 20, 2015, 03:52:08 PM
Quote from: stbird on March 20, 2015, 03:46:25 PM
Agreed!  He was so tough I kind of just assumed he'd be an all american this year. 

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 20, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Ricky Robertson had a great season also...  In fact, an awesome year for the redshirt freshman...  Top 16 as well...

After awhile, it was easy to take for granted how good he was ... he was solid and consistent all year long !!

Not trying to be a jerk but might I ask why?

Did he beat any wrestler ranked in the top 8 or 9 this season?

vsmf2010

Quote from: hammen on March 20, 2015, 02:25:37 PM
I don't think it has to do with looking ahead at all. It's tough to beat guys consistently at this level. RT got the better of Gulibon at Big Tens in a tight match. He made a mistake rolling around and gave up back points that cost him the match. He did a similar roll against Gulibon at Big Tens and got away. Zeke was what 4-0 against Walsh lifetime going into this match, with basically all wins being 1 or 2 points? Walsh is super tough to finish on and is a leech on top. Zeke was all over the legs but just couldn't finish the last time but was so close to 2 and 2. The only guy who can't/hasn't wrestle to seed is RT. All other guys have wrestled to or can wrestle to their seed. It's s tough tournament. Just look at all of the top guys going down. We just happened to be on the unfortunate end of 2 of those. Good thing is these 2 are sophomores and aren't in a situation like Kokesh taking his first loss and having to win 1 more just to AA.

It sucks - everyone is disappointed because we have big expectations. That's a good thing - it says a lot about the guys we have. Just gotta take the tournament as it goes - get these 3 wins on the backside and finish with 4 AA's. They all have tough bouts coming up, Zeke in particular with #2 Moreno. Let's see if Zeke can turn the result the other way around for his second AA finish in as many years. And let's see Connor find that motor again and knock off the returning champ!

Drew,

Right on as usual. I think as fan/supporters we always assume that our 4 seeds and above will always make the semis, our lower seeds will wrestle above their seed, and that our guys will always beat the guys they have beaten before. What is easy to forget is how tight the margin of error is for most of these guys and sometimes really good wrestlers end up on the wrong side of an upset. There has been a staggering amount of upsets (by seed) in every round so far and we should be used to it. No school has been immune. It was certainly tough to have RT, JT, and IJ lose back to back to back but all in all today has gone pretty well. CM had a huge win, Frank finished his career on a high note and probably wrestling the best matches of his career, Ricky was in there in the mix, wrestled to his seed and has a bright future, and Timmy needs a win to AA. Below is just quick snap shot of what is going on with the top big ten teams and other high seeds:

Ohio St
#4 DiJulius out
#6 Demas out
H Stieber out (inj)
#10 Martin lost in first round now out
Tavanello out

Iowa
#5 Dziewa out
#4 Sorenson beat in quarters needed SV to still be alive
Kelly out
#3 Telford beat in first round

Penn State
#12 Beitz out
#2 McIntosh beat in Quarters

Minnesota
Lizak out
#6 N Dardanes out
#11 Pfarr 0-2 and out

Illinois
Delgado out (inj)
#5 Richards out
Rodrigues out
Langenderfer out
Reyes out
Koepke out
Black out

Other schools
#9 Peters out
#2 Garrett beat in first round
#8 Cox out

#4 Carter beat in quarters
#3 Mayes beat in 2nd round

#6 Pantaleo out
#8 Moreno 0-2 and out

#9 LaVallee out

#8 Walsh (Navy) out
#4 Sulzer lost in 2nd round
#7 Harger lost in quarters (inj)
#2 Moreno lost in 1st round

#1 Kokesh beat in quarters
#4 Eblen beat in 1st round now out
#5 Butler beat in 2nd round

#4 Dechow beat in 2nd round now out
#3 Stauffer beat in 2nd round
#2 Thomusseit beat in Quarters
#6 Zilmer beat in first round

#9 Bennett beat in first round now out
#7 Ayala out

Manty77

Agreed!  He was so tough I kind of just assumed he'd be an all american this year. 

Ricky Robertson had a great season also...  In fact, an awesome year for the redshirt freshman...  Top 16 as well...

After awhile, it was easy to take for granted how good he was ... he was solid and consistent all year long !!

Since you aren't being a jerk I'll give you a non-sarcastic answer.

I think RR's final record was 27-10. Winning 27 matches is huge.  He had several wins over Bernstein, who is a former AA.  He knocked off Dudley several times, who can be very dangerous and is currently just 1 win away from becoming an AA.  He also beat Niko Reyes, who is no slouch.  He lost a SV victory to Avery, who has secured AA status this year, and he lost a 8-7 match to Zillmer, who also is just 1 win away from being a '15 AA.

And, even though it's not part of the college season, RR is the reigning National JR Fila champion.  He won that with a bracket that included Brooks and Pfarr.

So, by any  measure, RR had a great season.   I think once he adds a little more muscle, he'll be a beast.

stp

From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Dale

Boy has Brewer looked tough! 

wrastle63

AA for RT now it is IJ and TM time to shine. Brewer looked tough as nails. He really took it to Dardanes.

neutral

And what about that Moisey kid from WVU!  Somebody forgot to tell him these guys he's beating are better than him.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

stbird

Evidently his coach showed him a thing or two about how to beat the studs! 

Quote from: neutral on March 20, 2015, 07:59:51 PM
And what about that Moisey kid from WVU!  Somebody forgot to tell him these guys he's beating are better than him.

stbird

Awesome job Taylor and Jordan! It would have been a terrible shame for them not to make AA after the great year they both had!  McCall is next.  Let's go Timmy!\

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Manty77 on March 20, 2015, 06:22:38 PM

Since you aren't being a jerk I'll give you a non-sarcastic answer.

I think RR's final record was 27-10. Winning 27 matches is huge.  He had several wins over Bernstein, who is a former AA.  He knocked off Dudley several times, who can be very dangerous and is currently just 1 win away from becoming an AA.  He also beat Niko Reyes, who is no slouch.  He lost a SV victory to Avery, who has secured AA status this year, and he lost a 8-7 match to Zillmer, who also is just 1 win away from being a '15 AA.

And, even though it's not part of the college season, RR is the reigning National JR Fila champion.  He won that with a bracket that included Brooks and Pfarr.

So, by any  measure, RR had a great season.   I think once he adds a little more muscle, he'll be a beast.

I wasn't saying he didn't have a very good year, I wouldn't say great as a great season for a fresh is an AA or better in my book. He did have a very good year, but to be an AA you generally need to beat the top guys and he hasn't really done that so far this year he is beating the 12-20 ranked guys on a somewhat regular basis and that is very good but that doesn't make you an AA. So many thought he had a real shot this season and I really though he was at least a year out unless he really turned it up big time this weekend. He has a very bright future but is still a step behind but being a step behind as a freshman is very good because many are 3-4 steps behind. iMart is having a great year for a freshman... that is great in my book. I guess it just seems to be a term that is tossed around a little to easy. Funny thing, JT had a similar record last year and people cracked him for not being able to adjust to the college style. He was like 21-13 but he wrestled pretty much every top 10 guy along the way, I think RR has wrestled 2 or 3 of them.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

neutral

What does everybody think about the no TD points for Miller vs. Realbuto ... and the committee's failure? to correct it.

Personally - I think it's bunk.  I realize the coaching staff should have recognized the points weren't awarded & questioned it ... but no more than the referee should have awarded the points - the TD was unquestionable.  

The committee official said that they could have rendered any number of decisions - but felt there was a system for the coaches to use to challenge ... but they did not.  I think the purpose of the challenge is for the coach to ask the referee to see if he missed seeing something the coach did (or hoped he did) - the point being that there should be some action on the part of the wrestlers that is in question ... not on the accuracy of the scoring.  If the committe couldn't correct that ... what might they correct.  The kid that clearly won ... lost.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

imwi

Quote from: neutral on March 20, 2015, 08:50:50 PM
What does everybody think about the no TD points for Miller vs. Realbuto ... and the committee's failure? to correct it.

Personally - I think it's bunk.  I realize the coaching staff should have recognized the points weren't awarded & questioned it ... but no more than the referee should have awarded the points - the TD was unquestionable.  

The committee official said that they could have rendered any number of decisions - but felt there was a system for the coaches to use to challenge ... but they did not.  I think the purpose of the challenge is for the coach to ask the referee to see if he missed seeing something the coach did (or hoped he did) - the point being that there should be some action on the part of the wrestlers that is in question ... not on the accuracy of the scoring.  If the committe couldn't correct that ... what might they correct.  The kid that clearly won ... lost.

Saw an interview with the coach, he said he questioned if the score was right and both refs told him yes, sit down and start the OT.  He said he didn't push it but apparently he should have.  The NCAA Committee guy I saw interviewed by FLO sounded like a politician and FLO wasn't cutting him any slack, flat out saying this makes no sense, he just kept repeating that there was a system in place for the coach to challenge it and he didn't.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Goat Roper on March 20, 2015, 07:25:38 PM
Jag,

Please find another avenue of enjoyment than bashing the Badgers.  Why don't you paint the bathroom and watch the paint dry.  Your posts are getting old.

show me where in this thread I really bashed the badgers? Is it because I question things that bothers you? It is because I don't blindly follow the direction of the team? Is it because I question the coach? Is it because I want them to be better? I really don't bash them, I talk about real thoughts and ideas and I don't sugarcoat it. I don't see how I have bashed them except to say I don't want to except the same finish we averaged for the last 20 years, if that is bashing you have very thin skin.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: imwi on March 20, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
Quote from: neutral on March 20, 2015, 08:50:50 PM

Saw an interview with the coach, he said he questioned if the score was right and both refs told him yes, sit down and start the OT.  He said he didn't push it but apparently he should have.  The NCAA Committee guy I saw interviewed by FLO sounded like a politician and FLO wasn't cutting him any slack, flat out saying this makes no sense, he just kept repeating that there was a system in place for the coach to challenge it and he didn't.

far as Im concerned once they move on in the match it is over, once the next match starts it is really over. the time to question the call is during the match.

DocWrestling

Anxious to see what Jordan brings here.  If he wins he has to face cousin Bo
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!