Attendance Question

Started by Ray Allen, March 14, 2015, 01:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Allen

I was having a conversation with a friend about wiaa sports and which ones bring the most revenue to the kohl center/ Madison. Basically, it boiled down to whigh sport garners a larger audience? Wrestling or basketball? Does anybody have accurate numbers on this? I'm talking through every session.  Thanks for your help guys!

woody53

We had a little over 62,000 this year at the Kohl Center for Individual State. Manty77, I do not think BB pulls in those numbers. We have historically been a higher attended weekend.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Dale Einerson

The reason belies me regarding the lack of TV coverage for state wrestling...just about every community in the state is represented via wrestling...2 at a time in basketball or football...

Manty77

Quote from: woody53 on March 14, 2015, 03:35:40 PM
We had a little over 62,000 this year at the Kohl Center for Individual State. Manty77, I do not think BB pulls in those numbers. We have historically been a higher attended weekend.

Thanks, Woody.  I deleted my post since I can't find definitive basketball attendance info.

bigoil

Football is generally low 30's to high 20's.

Highest ever was 1987 ~36,000 (6 divisions at that time), lowest ever 1985 9,700 (I played in that one and it was some awful weather).

TomM

Quote from: bigoil on March 14, 2015, 10:45:31 PM

Highest ever was 1987 ~36,000 (6 divisions at that time), lowest ever 1985 9,700 (I played in that one and it was some awful weather).

And your team ate at 'the gobbler' in Johnson Creek on the way home...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DocWrestling

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: TomM on March 14, 2015, 11:15:32 PM

LOL! I ate there in the 80's. Just across the street from you. It was high-class to a So. Mil. kid back in the day.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on March 15, 2015, 02:41:24 PM

LOL! I ate there in the 80's. Just across the street from you. It was high-class to a So. Mil. kid back in the day.

Never heard of the place.  Anywhere near the quality of the Hungry Heifer?  Norm!   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

Quote from: imnofish on March 15, 2015, 03:38:11 PM
Quote from: bigG on March 15, 2015, 02:41:24 PM
Never heard of the place.  Anywhere near the quality of the Hungry Heifer?  Norm!   ;D
http://fox6now.com/2014/05/28/resurrecting-the-gobbler-what-is-in-this-icons-future/
http://www.buythegobbler.com/

The Menomonee Falls East FB team came in there for dinner on the way back from the State football finals.  I think BigG was on that team.  I just happened to be a customer in there for dinner the same evening.  It was rainy that night there as well as in Madison.

bigoil

Well, pretty close. By that time we were Menomonee Falls High School and it was Harris and bigoil on that team. That is amazing that you knew we stopped in there. Harris was much better than me, held his own against senior Don Davey while Harris was only a soph.

Also, rain? There was some and some hard stuff mixed in. I think kickoff temp was 35 and it fell from there.

TomM

Quote from: bigoil on March 15, 2015, 09:37:09 PM
Well, pretty close. By that time we were Menomonee Falls High School and it was Harris and bigoil on that team. That is amazing that you knew we stopped in there. Harris was much better than me, held his own against senior Don Davey while Harris was only a soph.

Also, rain? There was some and some hard stuff mixed in. I think kickoff temp was 35 and it fell from there.

My oops..
Meant bigoil

maggie

Tom, i used to get a headache going around in circles... :o....
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

Quote from: TomM on March 16, 2015, 02:14:36 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 15, 2015, 09:37:09 PM

My oops..
Meant bigoil

BigG never got to play at state.  :-[
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ray Allen

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 15, 2015, 11:43:00 AM
Here might be some basketball numbers

http://www.wissports.net/Playground/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1165793

Thanks for the info.  That looks like it might actually be higher than wrestling.  Which, honestly, I find hard to believe.