8th place, you guys ok with that?

Started by leg turk, March 08, 2015, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

So you want to compare the program now to the program in the past when things were different amongst many other things including saying that some of those coaches were not getting it done either.

Why not compare the program to its peers?  How do the recruiting classes compare?  How do the final results compare?

I realize this is not all on the coach as you need university support and UW is behind in many things in terms of wrestling but lets compare to what other programs are doing.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

vsmf2010

Quote from: knight/purgolder on March 11, 2015, 06:58:55 PM
I also think there should be a new face for Wisconsin wrestling.  Everyone that has access to Flowrestling should watch the Bo Jordan interview on why he chose Ohio State!  Wish Donny P and Jared F were still around!
Why would they both still be here? Neither of them are at the job they left WI for. They both moved on to new opportunities and then moved on again. People/coaches have every right to work wherever they want but it is not always about the job they left.

Full disclosure I like Donny and Jared very much but they are not here and if you are a Badger fan I would think you would move on and support the coaches that are here.

sudden_victory

There are fewer programs than in the old days competing for wrestlers so we should be able to have more top recruits. When there were 4 AA's two years in a row I would have expected that to be the new norm. Two guys transferred and that was a setback but having three excellent wrestlers and several average ones isn't what this program should accept.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

mkm13

Quote from: sudden_victory on March 11, 2015, 07:26:20 PM
Two guys transferred and that was a setback but having three excellent wrestlers and several average ones isn't what this program should accept.

I think it is stretch to classify Robertson an average wrestler. Right now, you could argue he is the best freshman in the country at his weight.  That said, we do need more depth and we need more out of our instate talent.

vsmf2010

Quote from: mkm13 on March 11, 2015, 07:48:49 PM
Quote from: sudden_victory on March 11, 2015, 07:26:20 PM
Two guys transferred and that was a setback but having three excellent wrestlers and several average ones isn't what this program should accept.

I think it is stretch to classify Robertson an average wrestler. Right now, you could argue he is the best freshman in the country at his weight.  That said, we do need more depth and we need more out of our instate talent.
+1

empty99

There are lots of BD's in college wrestling, most of them are content to take the "glory" and surround themselves with Donny's and Jared's who recruit, coach, and wrestle. I think that the Stiener's were better than anyone, and wanted to stay. Maybe we should ask why all of these great coaches were ran out of town. I know, bring on the whining! If my kid was going pick a place to wrestle, I would want him to look for a coach at his weight that was still competing, or just off competition. Also, Minny, Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State are MAKING national champs!!! It's not all about scholarships and money.

Ghetto

I'm guessing JRob, Tom Ryan and the Brands aren't getting out there much anymore. Kyle ruschell just did very well at the US Open and Trevor Brandvold isn't that far removed from high level competition.

Pretty sure Frayer is coaching at a club in Florida. He's the guy who I wish would have stayed. But he left for his alma mater.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

empty99

Your right Kyle is on the same level as those others, but it does prove the point, I hear he's about 165#

OneEyedFatMan

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 11, 2015, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on March 09, 2015, 09:10:33 PM
The chorus has begun once again...For those newer to the program we have been hearing this for two decades...We are young, just wait, have faith....BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

INSANITY=same results over and over

I do not think this is completely accurate. UW was 2nd at the Big Ten tournament in 07 and 4th at the NCAA's in 2010.  2012 and 2013 were rough but things are definitely on the upswing. Several very high end recruits ended up not wrestling here and that has caused a setback for sure. The ones I am thinking of have not really had D1 success anywhere yet so I do not think you can put that on the coaching staff.

If you look back at previous coaches and the number of AA's there really is not a lot of difference. I would certainly think 3 AA's this year is a reasonable expectation. Consider that 3 or more has only happened 13 times before ever. If that happens you would have to consider this year a success historically. Just wanted to add some historical context.

George Martin
Duane Kleven      2.17 ave
Russ Hellickson      2.25 ave
Andy Rein              2.00 ave
Barry Davis      1.95 ave (2.5 ave over the last 6 years) (2.3 ave over the last decade)
2,2,2,2,2,2,1,3,2,1,1,0,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,1,1,2,?

most of Kleven's and all of Martin's years of coaching only included a maximum of 6 places to make AA.
Also, because of weird bracketing, many "deserving" wrestlers didn't get wrestle-backs - in my opinion.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"