8th place, you guys ok with that?

Started by leg turk, March 08, 2015, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAGMA

I will say I am a Barry fan-but this was not a good showing overall besides the big 3. It was preached all year about all that matters is March and they even changed their schedule around to be prepared for the Big 10s and the NCAA's. 4 out of 10 laid an egg. Thielke and Frank wrestled ok, and the Big 3 did great-285 the top 4 would be a different outcome every time hopefully Connor is on the higher end in a couple of weeks, Zeke-what else do you say, I love his attitude and hard nosed style, and RT is exciting and i could see that being the National final as well, it was a lot closer than the score indicates.

Gutwrench

Look at Michigan......

4th place overall, with finishes of 5th, 7th, NP, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 1st, 5th, 3rd.

The point is that you don't necessarily need a whole team of Zeke's for a upper echelon conference finish.  I think we the fans get caught up in the thought that UW needs 5 in the finals with 3 champs to "make it to the next level".  A team contributing points at mostly every weight class can push the UW into the top half.

I can understand the people out there that have grown tired of the "next year" blathering.  BUT.......could the UW see a Michigan type B1G tournament next year?  Is it reasonable to hope for (expect) a conference placing wrestler at 8 or 9 weight classes, with a legit shot with 1 or 2 making the finals?  Is it reasonable to hope for (expect) that type of performance year after year?

nutters55

Not really ok with it but there were holes in this lineup at the beginning of the year and no one stepped up at 149 and 157. I also think JJ could have stepped up a little bit more to fill the void at 125.  Timmy McCall really wrestled poorly the last half of the year, he is guy that is a top four talent in the Big Ten but could never translate that ability to the mat.  I think Medberry slipped up at the Big Tens, it might be a mental edge that he is lacking in big tournaments, hopefully it gets fixed by Nationals because he should be standing pretty high on the podium. 

Some how I just don't think Barry Davis gets the most out of his talent in the wrestling room. I do believe there is talent in that wrestling room, talent that could compete for a top 5 in the Big Tens but as always it seems to regress at Wisconsin.  I think it is time for a new face of Wisconsin Wrestling.  I have always liked Barry's energy and enthusiastic nature but I just can't be happy with the results anymore.  Taylor was right in that match and kept getting in trouble with the low single and lost it in the last 30 seconds, Ike wrestled well to win, and Medberry needed to get over the hump and win the Big Tens.  Maybe a better head coach could make the jump needed in these wrestling careers.
failure to prepare, is preparing to fail....

dad 2 5

NO!
Huge Badger fan and I like Barry and staff but look at this with me:
  (pre-seed)
125 (9) JJ loss to champ and 6th, expected more, he compete hard and is close but needs the winning mental game. Missing the early season starts made the difference I hope for next year
133 (2) GREAT JOB RT!
141 (13) nice tournament and up the most from seed but could have had more and would expect more
149 (8) Loss to 2nd and 3rd, no doubt the toughest draw of all the tournament, with a different draw he could have been there
157 (12) even with seed but...
165 (2) GREAT JOB ZEKE!!
174 (8) FC did alright in meeting his seed
184 (3) loss to 1st and 3rd, good tournament but would have like a little more
197 (8) ouch! in both physical and on the mat, seem issue from first year out, mental block of some sort
H (1) ok, HWY in the B!G is ridiculously tough, need big NCAA

So it looks like 4 meet or better their seed; 2 close; 4 below but that is not the problem. To me the problem is getting prepared and having better seeds. We need the 4-6 seeds throughout the line up with 3-4 stud, then you have a team right there. So will we have them next year? See following post.

dad 2 5

125 Jimenez (so)  Stickley (F)
133 Taylor (J)       Lantz (RsF)
141 Lantz (RsF)    Crone (So)
149 Lubeck (J)
157 Ruschell (J)   Donar (So) Scharenbrock (RsF)
165 Jordan (J)   Liegel (So)
174 Stilling (So)   Quintanilla (F)
184 Robertson (So) Christensen (RsF) or at 174
197 Ritter (F)      Peissig (So)  Velling (J)
H    Medberry (Sr)  Horwth (Sr)

How do you feel about that, 4 top 3 guys in Taylor, Jordan, Robertson, Medberry and three that should compete top 6 in Jimenez, Lantz, Lubeck would make for an ok B1G

Manty77

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2015, 05:25:44 PM
125 Jimenez (so)  Stickley (F)
133 Taylor (J)       Lantz (RsF)
141 Lantz (RsF)    Crone (So)
149 Lubeck (J)
157 Ruschell (J)   Donar (So) Scharenbrock (RsF)
165 Jordan (J)   Liegel (So)
174 Stilling (So)   Quintanilla (F)
184 Robertson (So) Christensen (RsF) or at 174
197 Ritter (F)      Peissig (So)  Velling (J)
H    Medberry (Sr)  Horwth (Sr)

How do you feel about that, 4 top 3 guys in Taylor, Jordan, Robertson, Medberry and three that should compete top 6 in Jimenez, Lantz, Lubeck would make for an ok B1G
Why don't you have JT listed?

charteroak1

I would imagine JT will be taking his Olympic Redshirt next season.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Connor take one as well and let HWT clear out a bit.  I think Brock is more than capable to handle a full season at HWT. 

125 JJ
133 RT
141 JL
149 RL, AC Don't think you'll see him at 141
157 JD, TR
165 IJ
174 JS, RC
184 RR
197 Peissig, HR
H Horwath

vsmf2010

No love for Luke Rowh? I think he is 8-0 in opens this year and should be in the mix at 141.

dad 2 5

pretty sure the plan is USA team training for JT. Interesting on Connor. Not sure what his plan is. If Ricky has another great summer I wonder if he would think about it too?

wrestler_73

Nope..Not Ok

The chorus has begun once again...For those newer to the program we have been hearing this for two decades...We are young, just wait, have faith....BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

INSANITY=same results over and over

Congrats to those that were able to achieve and good luck at Nationals.

JAMMIN

Very happy with the out of state kids.  Disappointed with the in state kids.   For WI to become elite, the in state kids have to step up.

jaguarwrestler

I believe we had a watered down schedule and it still didn't help us, we had some regress or underperform thus hurting our seeds and placement. I believe we had 4 or 5 wrestlers underperform this year and I believe if they where on the other 4 or 5 top teams in the B1G it would be a different story. I believe Barry is a good person, but I have said it before that I don't believe he has the ability to get the most out of his wrestlers. We can talk all day about him being a good mentor, I don't see that as his job, well at least not the most important part of his job... these young men are 19-23 years old they had plenty of time to be mentored by parents, family, friends, teachers, coaches in their past.

Once Barry realizes that all matches matter and not just March it might help the team. Losing matches you should win doesn't help, it hurts. Win a few more matches gets your a better seed and likely a better result. No way this team should have finished 8th but you could see it coming as the year progressed.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestler_73 on March 09, 2015, 09:10:33 PM
The chorus has begun once again...For those newer to the program we have been hearing this for two decades...We are young, just wait, have faith....BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

I do not think this is completely accurate. UW was 2nd at the Big Ten tournament in 07 and 4th at the NCAA's in 2010.  2012 and 2013 were rough but things are definitely on the upswing. Several very high end recruits ended up not wrestling here and that has caused a setback for sure. The ones I am thinking of have not really had D1 success anywhere yet so I do not think you can put that on the coaching staff.

If you look back at previous coaches and the number of AA's there really is not a lot of difference. I would certainly think 3 AA's this year is a reasonable expectation. Consider that 3 or more has only happened 13 times before ever. If that happens you would have to consider this year a success historically. Just wanted to add some historical context.

George Martin
Duane Kleven      2.17 ave
Russ Hellickson      2.25 ave
Andy Rein              2.00 ave
Barry Davis      1.95 ave (2.5 ave over the last 6 years) (2.3 ave over the last decade)
2,2,2,2,2,2,1,3,2,1,1,0,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,1,1,2,?

leg turk

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 11, 2015, 02:16:21 PM

I do not think this is completely accurate. UW was 2nd at the Big Ten tournament in 07 and 4th at the NCAA's in 2010.  2012 and 2013 were rough but things are definitely on the upswing. Several very high end recruits ended up not wrestling here and that has caused a setback for sure. The ones I am thinking of have not really had D1 success anywhere yet so I do not think you can put that on the coaching staff.

If you look back at previous coaches and the number of AA's there really is not a lot of difference. I would certainly think 3 AA's this year is a reasonable expectation. Consider that 3 or more has only happened 13 times before ever. If that happens you would have to consider this year a success historically. Just wanted to add some historical context.

George Martin
Barry Davis      1.95 ave (2.5 ave over the last 6 years) (2.3 ave over the last decade)

OK, now what is the TEAMS average finish the last 20 years, in the big ten tourney, and NCAA tourney?

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: leg turk on March 11, 2015, 02:29:17 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 11, 2015, 02:16:21 PM

George Martin

OK, now what is the TEAMS average finish the last 20 years, in the big ten tourney, and NCAA tourney?

LOL, apparently as long as we have 2 AA's per year we are good. Pretty sure based on team finish, BD is in or near last on that list.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!