Gene Gehl dual

Started by takdwn2, March 03, 2015, 07:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matdad

Very funny goat! The reporters at the PC have turned into a very lazy sort, especially for wrestling in the winter months. Unless your team or individual is tops, locally, they struggled to find the way out of their cozy office chair in their cubicle. So if a coach doesn't call in the results or they cannot find it on their computer screen from trackwrestling, you will not see anything in print. Heck, for the prep profiles, they don't even go interview the athletes in person anymore. They conduct the interview via social media. They do a better job of putting together stories of local bartenders than our prep athletes. I think my subscription will be canceled very soon.

jets152

I think all of the Gannett newspapers have been really hamstrung by corporate decisions that impact the way they operate. I know in Manitowoc earlier press times and diminished staff has made the Herald Times rather pitiful. I'm sure more could be done even with that said, but we had a very wrestling-friendly sports reporter in Manty who always made it clear that they didn't have much leeway anymore
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

petertherooster

The guy from the post crescent who used to cover all of the wrestling stuff retired this year.

digimon

I know the PC has cut back their Sports department staff and they are covering a large subscription area, but it's sad when basketball gets soooo much coverage and photos. Winter sports like wrestling and swimming get a tiny box score if they are lucky. We are the Rodney Dangerfield's of the high school sports scene. Sad...  The area had the WIAA D1 and D2 Wrestling Team Champions. Impressive !  Congrats to the Kaukauna and Freedom wrestling programs. Well done !

Hungus

Quote from: petertherooster on March 19, 2015, 12:12:37 PM
The guy from the post crescent who used to cover all of the wrestling stuff retired this year.

Tom Goff covered wrestling for the PC for 25-30 years was the best in the biz. Retired three years ago after Gannett offered a lot of early retirement packages
Ricardo Allergo covers wrestling now of the PC and his downfall is he doesn't know the sport, big Football & Basketball guy.
Don't see a lot changing as newspapers as a media outlet are dying a slow and painfull death.
You're killing me Smalls!!!

Bnboys2

Agree about the lack of coverage from the post crescent.  But unfortunately they need to be contacted on the event to cover it.  In the past Shane has always sent a video man to post matches on Badger State Wrestling. Not sure if that was done this year.  Even start times weren't clear to fans.

Point1223

Hello everybody, here are the results:

Ramsey Bloy (Freedom) pins Adam Gusky (Appleton West) 5:51
Dellas Vandenberg (Appleton North) Dec Mason Manteufel (Freedom 12-7
Chris Yauch (Two Rivers) pins Zac Benton (Ashwaubenon) 5:47
Colin Gruenwald (Oshkosh North) dec Austin Stebane (Brillion) 7-6
Jeremy Bowens (Kimberly) dec Andrew Browning (Brillion) 7-2
Casey Nelson (Green Bay Preble/East) pins Taylor Rivers (Wautoma/Wild Rose) 3:43
Cody Walrath (Freedom) dec Oliver Radtke (Weyauwega-Fremont) 14-5
Chandler Donati (Two Rivers) dec Cam Luker (Hortonville) 5-3
Brandon Buechler (Wrightstown) dec Richy Sommers (Green Bay WSW) 7-3
Dewey Krueger (Oconto Falls) dec Bailey Whipple (Menasha)
Ramsey Bloy (Freedom) pins Andy Bork (Weyauwega Fremont) 3:30

Most Fans Scholarship: Mason Manteufel
Most Valuable Wrestler Scholarship: Ramsey Bloy

Point1223

Hey Guys, Ben Engelland here, the Head Coach for Kimberly.

I try to stay off the forums, but I was informed there were a few questions so I wanted to clear a few things up about the meet.

1) The Post Crescent and Times Villager were informed of the meet/date/times. They chose not to send somebody over.

2) Shane Sparks was contacted and unfortunately all of his guys were tied up that night and he was in Indianapolis. Completely understandable. He does a lot for the sport of wrestling and it was just a case of bad luck that he wasn't able to make it this year.

3) All the AD's and coaches were informed of the Date and Time. Ultimately, some of the responsibility of getting fans in attendance falls on the shoulders of the coach and/or booster clubs.

Aside from contacting the Coaches, ADs, Post Crescent and posting it on here, I'm not sure what else we should do to advertise the dual. I thought there was some great wrestling and good fan attendance by a few of the schools (a special shout out to the Freedom and Ashwaubenon fans) but not as much as we have had in the past. We will try a few different things next year, like possibly trying to get the commitments before the State Tourney.

This isn't a money maker for the Kimberly Wrestling club. We just look at it as a way to showcase some of the great seniors in the area who may or may not lace there wrestling shoes up again.

Take Care,
Ben