Help me understand

Started by harley, February 23, 2015, 10:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harley

TomM

The referee has acknowledged he erred and penalized the incorrect wrestler.  That's the entire story. Then the IA kid was penalized for not stopping on the whistle.  Just an error by the referee.
Different, eh?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

It's probably should be called flagrant misconduct.  It is clearly extreme unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Intentionally trying to injure your opponent should not be tolerated in college wrestling. 

Reminds me of when Brent Metcalf tried to injure Darrion Caldwell in the NCAA Final at the end of the match. when he was losing.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

harley

Quote from: TomM on February 23, 2015, 11:45:10 PM
The referee has acknowledged he erred and penalized the incorrect wrestler.  That's the entire story. Then the IA kid was penalized for not stopping on the whistle.  Just an error by the referee.
Different, eh?

Thank you for that update, I had not heard that yet, then that makes sense. Doesn't make sense that there were 2 refs and they both didn't catch it but at least the head ref acknowledged he made a mistake

TomM

Quote from: harley on February 24, 2015, 07:16:51 AM
Quote from: TomM on February 23, 2015, 11:45:10 PM
Different, eh?

Thank you for that update, I had not heard that yet, then that makes sense. Doesn't make sense that there were 2 refs and they both didn't catch it but at least the head ref acknowledged he made a mistake

Go figure...
We all make mistakes and sometimes on the largest stage.  It appears that is what occurred.  I personally would imagine having the Brands breathing down your neck along with 10,000 people in black and gold and the other bench as well would tend to create the perfect storm for a simple, yet difficult to understand error.
These things happen.  That official is pretty good.
Each college wrestler has seven minutes to 'make things happen'.  I always believe you have to use all that time to your own benefit and not expect everyone else to be perfect that entire time.  With the lack of offensive scoring occurring in college wrestling (for what ever reason  you may choose) it can be said it is the wrestlers own fault when a single miscue by someone else is left to determine your fate.
There is an article I intended to post from an Iowa source (I will try to find it) that speaks of the lack of 'wrestling' taking place in D1... Iowa included.

TomM

Here it is:
http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/wrestling/2015/2/23/8088443/iowa-missouri-national-duals-final-recap
QuoteWrestling can -- and should, IMO -- be fun to watch.  Takedowns are fun.  Pins are fun.  Scrambles are fun.  Tilts and turns on the mat are fun.  Spiral rides are not fun.  Hand-fighting is not fun.  Tie-ups (if they don't lead to anything) are not fun. Wrestling on the edge of the mat is not fun.  I don't know what the solutions are -- perhaps new black line rules, maybe more draconian measures regarding stalling, definitely better (and more assertive) officiating -- but without some sort of solutions, college wrestling seems destined to get ever more boring to watch -- until one day it discovers that there's hardly anyone left to watch it at all.

bigG

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 24, 2015, 02:17:03 AM
It's probably should be called flagrant misconduct.  It is clearly extreme unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Intentionally trying to injure your opponent should not be tolerated in college wrestling. 

Reminds me of when Brent Metcalf tried to injure Darrion Caldwell in the NCAA Final at the end of the match. when he was losing.

This Gilman is a nut grabbin', oil checkin', Montell Marion scummin' so-and-so. Got talent, he is a very good wrestler; but also plays dirty. That move was a new low, even for him.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

harley

Quote from: MNbadger on February 26, 2015, 04:36:15 PM
How was he not simply DQ'd?

How could he be DQ'd when he was awarded a point :)

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on February 26, 2015, 04:36:15 PM
How was he not simply DQ'd?

I thought for sure, when I saw that, he'd be DQ'd. Then, I thought, what if Iowa won the dual by 2.

Ah well, water under the bridge.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.