Any Big Time Individual Matchups at Team Sect Tonight?

Started by Han Solo, February 17, 2015, 08:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missinghome

So if your comparison is correct, I guess the rule should be changed so a football or basketball team could forfeit the 4th quarter if they wanted and still get the win. We wrestled a dual meet this year and lost 60 to 6. Our 6 was the last match of the night. Why didn't the other team or even us for that mater just throw in the towel after the match was decided so no one would get hurt? They don't do it in college! If it is a match that will happen on Saturday I would think both wrestlers would want to get a feel for the other guy. Coaches could get video etc. Wrestle him see where your at, what he does, where you need work etc. I will say it again, you want to improve the numbers in wrestling... fill the stands!

aarons23

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 08:41:53 AM
So if your comparison is correct, I guess the rule should be changed so a football or basketball team could forfeit the 4th quarter if they wanted and still get the win. We wrestled a dual meet this year and lost 60 to 6. Our 6 was the last match of the night. Why didn't the other team or even us for that mater just throw in the towel after the match was decided so no one would get hurt? They don't do it in college! If it is a match that will happen on Saturday I would think both wrestlers would want to get a feel for the other guy. Coaches could get video etc. Wrestle him see where your at, what he does, where you need work etc. I will say it again, you want to improve the numbers in wrestling... fill the stands!

All of those are valid  concerns for a spectators...but not a priority  for the coaches....his priorities  are for his own wrestlers.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

missinghome

I agree Arron... A coaches priorities should be for his wrestler, but isn't wrestling as much about mental toughness as physical toughness? How is forfeiting a match ever "good for his wrestler"

Dale Einerson

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 08:41:53 AM

Good effort with the false argument.  Gotta admire made up situations, from other sports, in an attempt to push home your argument. In the case of wrestling it can become mathematically impossible for the losing team to win, in football or basketball it may be unlikely, but not impossible.  

May I remind you, basketball, football, baseball teams and other sports often put second stringers in when games are out of reach.  This becomes increasingly common at the professional levels when the playoffs are made and seeds are already determined.  So, no rule change needed to rest up starters and save them from injuries in meaningless matches.

If you want to improve numbers in wrestling, you need more wrestlers.  I will take my own stab at a false argument...if Kaukauna really cared about having a top 1 team into infinity, then, they would want to win a dual by no more than 3 points, not settled until the final match, so they fill the stands with meets that fans can get really excited about.  Kaukauna might need to sub in a couple of JV kids at certain weights to keep it close, but, it is what the fans want and it is good for the sport.  Criminy, we seem to want team seeding so only the very best meet in the finals but we want Team Sectionals to be close...tell me how that works.

On the topic of "I would think both wrestlers would want to get a feel for the other guy..."  I would think so, I would hope so, but, it isn't always the case and I seriously doubt it is the case more than 50% of the time.  You have to admire Breske who goes down to 170, where his toughest match of the year thus fair may be waiting for him.  You have to admire Schlough who cut down for Cheesehead to go up against Lee... But, I suggest they are in the minority.  True warriors.  

I do wonder why Freedom, in this case; Coleman, in prior years, wouldn't just wrestle some JV kids in the weights they forfeited after the dual is baked.  Would be along the lines of what we see in other sports and would give some kids some very unique exposure and experience without a whole lot of pressure other than the large and boisterous fan base.  Then again, I am but a recovering basketball player...

Dale Einerson

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 08:59:29 AM
I agree Arron... A coaches priorities should be for his wrestler, but isn't wrestling as much about mental toughness as physical toughness? How is forfeiting a match ever "good for his wrestler"

In the case where a Sectional qualifier gets injuried in a meaningless match in Team Sectionals.  It happens... 

Notice it doesn't happen in Regionals where individual and team scores matter?  The difference in Team Sectionals is that once the win is secured, the individual scores don't matter. 

Notice that in the regional that had Bayport and Pulaski and the team score was separated by about 3 points, there were no forfeits from either team?  This only happens when a score for an individual is irrelevant.  We are talking about irrelevancy.

missinghome

I do agree with your true warrior statement. I also sadly must say I agree they are becoming the minority. Am I the only one who believes this is the main problem with declining numbers in our great sport?

Dale Einerson

I don't agree with you.  I stated my reasons on another thread. 

If you said fans that drove a long time and committed the time to watch matchups they hoped to see;  didn't happen, might be less likely to drive and commit the time again, then I would agree with you.

Butts in seats is different than wrestlers on the mat, in my opinion.

handsandtoes

Dale I totally disagree. Watch any interview on the big screen at the state tournament and every wrestler will say "all the people" every time. I stood on a stage for many years in front of thousands of people. That my friend is what drives you. The big show buddy! If the state championships weren't about the rush of all the fans they would wrestle it in some wrestling room. Buts in the stands is most certainly the driving force to put wrestlers on the mat.

KeyLock

Instead of talking  about what didnt, what would of happened howabout that Freedom vs Two Rivers duel which was actually wrestled and was a great duel and great comeback win both teams wrestled tough and left it all out there

Street Glide

Quote from: missinghome on February 19, 2015, 07:30:24 AM
I don't buy the "he might get injured" statement. If everyone is so afraid of kids getting hurt before sectionals why do we have a team state? These are high school kids let them wrestle. Theses kids have wrestled 40 or 50 matches already this year. Com on man! Everyone talks about the numbers in wrestling dwindling, well start filling the stands with a great product and more kids will want to be part of it.

Whether you want to buy it or not IT HAPPENS!  No I don't agree with a Tuesday team sectional a few days before individual sectionals buts that a whole different thread.  Then these comparisons with other sports, that really where a "come on man" is needed.  
   This simple, when the losing team is mathematically unable to win , it is the coaches decision, not the fans in the stands.   What would these so called fans say if the last few matches were to involve some non ranked wrestles with not as much marquee value?   Aren't there matches just as important to friends and family.  

Pheasant 1984

I'm from South Dakota originally and we never had a team state. They just kept team points like they do here at Regionals to determine the team state champs!
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

Paul Harvey

Quote from: KeyLock on February 19, 2015, 12:15:31 PM
Instead of talking  about what didnt, what would of happened howabout that Freedom vs Two Rivers duel which was actually wrestled and was a great duel and great comeback win both teams wrestled tough and left it all out there

+1
And now you know........ the rest of the story........Good Day!

Dale Einerson

Quote from: handsandtoes on February 19, 2015, 11:51:44 AM
Dale I totally disagree. Watch any interview on the big screen at the state tournament and every wrestler will say "all the people" every time. I stood on a stage for many years in front of thousands of people. That my friend is what drives you. The big show buddy! If the state championships weren't about the rush of all the fans they would wrestle it in some wrestling room. Buts in the stands is most certainly the driving force to put wrestlers on the mat.

Individual state is the best attended high school championship in the state of Wisconsin, this much is undeniably true.  Beyond the wrestling purists, just about every school in the state is represented, so, in some ways we should expect better attendance than a 2 team basketball or football or soccer or baseball game.

But, I have never witnessed a wrestler say in the Kohl Center interview, "I think it is awesome how so many people showed up to watch us at Team Sectionals."  The kids are talking about state; support over their young life, including wrestling.  Get hurt at Team Sectionals in an irrelevant match and you won't see that kid's interview on the big screen.  

I find it interesting, and a contradiction, that you feel so strongly that wrestling at the big show is a driving force; then want wrestlers to risk that "big show" experience in an irrelevant match.  I am back to an earlier statement, sub in a JV wrestler at that point.  The score isn't being run up, there is limited risk of advancing due to injury; it is a positive experience with limited pressure for the JV wrestler.

Having said all of that, it wouldn't bother me one bit, either way, if my kids were participating in a dual after the win is locked.  I just don't think it is fair or acceptable to criticize Freedom or Coleman for protecting the individual interests of their wrestlers at a team event.  They earned the right with prior wins to make that decision, they can exercise that right.

Thats all I have to say about that!  We can agree to disagree...

Orca

Quote from: Vinsanity 4 on February 18, 2015, 03:52:41 PM
I have seen both Bloy and Peplinski wrestle more than once this year and although Bloy's unorthodox style might confuse and or antagonize Peplinski for a short time I believe Peplinski would eventually get mad of having his head hung on and turn it on in the 3rd period and win convincingly.  Yes Freedom big underdog at 170 as well. JMO and not from WB either.

From what I've seen, I don't think a lot of people "turn it on" in the 3rd period against Bloy.  ::)
What was hard to bear is sweet to remember

billymurphy

I consider it smart to forfeit matches once the meet is over. Why risk injury in a meaningless match when a state title is on the line.
The coach is in the best tactical position to make the call. Some coaches will wrestle the matches, and some will not.