Super Regional

Started by juveyhall, February 09, 2015, 10:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: juveyhall on February 09, 2015, 11:36:42 PM
I had no intention on bashing the NLC.......plenty of other conferences and regionals that look the same.

The super regional accomplishes two things:
1) puts the 4 best teams (albiet tournament results) into the team tournament; makes for increased sales for the wiaa (had to help them see the benefit)...3 very good duals as opposed to one....maybe two at the sectional final

2) puts the top four wrestlers from a combined two regionals at the sectional (eliminates the weak regional discussion; we may see a bye at sectioanls it happened two years ago at bonduel; we will also see losing records qualifying for sectionals.

I still haven't heard why this wasn't passed.  Finding an appropriate venue to host (i.e. one large enough) shouldn't be an excuse either.

Any coaches association member with some insight?  This should have been a slam dunk for the WIAA.

You didn't................ I did and for good reasons.

The idea of a Super Regional will never fly people have the perception it elemenates opportunity as long as they have that mind set it will never happen.

I also think the WIAA has more pressing issues like finding refs and that ignorant single elimination in D3.

Heck many teams and schools would benefit from a multi team dual meet and most are either u willing or incapable of doing it. People traveling for hours for three stinking matches is joke and waste of time. Simple solution multi team dual meets and up here they cannot even pull that off.

The other issue with super Regionals is the facility to handle it and the spectators.

Mokie

It's really simple, if the WIAA will not go to a super regional, then we seed the top 8 teams in the sectional come the middle of January just like every other sport does when it comes to tournament time. You will end up with 4 number 1 seeds and 4 number 2 seeds, put a one and two in one of each of the four regional sites and everyone else falls into place based on location. You get the best teams in the team sectional and for the most part you will get the best kids in the individual sectional and like always there will be upsets along the way. I just looked at that sectional and Shiocton is 20 miles from the Manawa regional, but instead the WIAA is sending them 65 miles to Coleman, they must not know how to use mapquest in the WIAA office.

wrestling1

The one of the main reason the WIAA chose not to go with the Super Regional was because the format presented to them by the coaches association could have a had a wrestler wrestling more than 5 matches in a day, which is against national rules. There is a way to work around this problem. Most Super Regionals would have 12-13 teams, so  a 16 man bracket would be needed. If the 1st round losers of that 16 man bracket were only allowed to wrestler there way to 9th place, there would not be a problem with too many matches for anyone. The 8 wrestlers in the quarter finals would be the only wrestlers allowed to wrestle back for 4th place.  4th place is important because there would be 4 wrestlers advancing to sectionals. There are a number of advantages to having Super Regionals. It would create a better field of wrestlers for sectionals.  There would be fewer wrestlers left out of sectionals because their weight happen to be loaded at Regionals. It is a simple fact that not all Regionals are equal in a given year.  I coach in a Regional at that has the #3, #5, and #6 ranked D3 teams in it and i am sure there are other loaded Regionals across the state. If you take the 1st and 2nd pace teams out of the 2 Super Regionals you will get better match ups at team Sectionals.  I am sure that there are many Regionals across the state that have more than one team in them that belongs at Team Sectionals. The large number of referees needed to work the regional weekend is beginning to become a little bit of a problem.  The Super Regional would also help with this situation. Hopefully, there will be more discussion in the future about the possibilities of using Super Regionals.

DarkKnight

Its about Change, and yes I agree that sometime in the future it will change.... the System will not stay the same for the next 100 years, it will get updated and improved.

Other sports wait til the end of the season to seed teams, But I don't think wrestling would have to wait til the end of the season, and I do believe the system will become more flexible.. Give it Time..

In D3 the perceived best 2 teams will dual next Tuesday, that will happen because things are already set in stone... but in the future, Sure, I could see them being separated into 2 different sectionals, as someone pointed in this years case in D3 send Stratford West, I know they have wrestled west before a few times. Next year I see the same thing, with Stratford and Coleman being the top 2 teams, with other teams close on their heels, but it does determine a state Champ, and I guess that counts, and if you lose in the Sectional Finals you can still know you were the 2nd best in state, even though you didn't get the trophy saying you were. But you lose out on the experience of Team State,

So sure the system isn't exactly fair.. as is Life.

Now in D2 its hard to separate L-C, OF and Freedom, as they are so close to each other, at the time of Drawing up Regionals, but I guess it could be done. I'm sure its considered, but the current system does its job and has good stability, though a slight lack in flexibility, Sure.

I see a change in the future, Just not exactly Sure When.

DarkKnight

You wouldn't even need a Super Regional, then

missinghome

Super regional would be awesome. I would seed all wrestlers based on record. (just like they do now) If you lose your 1st match your out. (You were seeded so the best should win) If you lose in the second round you go to the 3rd place bracket. If you lose in the semis you wrestle the winners in the 3rd place bracket. Top 4 qualify for sectionals. Most matches you wrestle are 4. I don't see any reason to wrestle for 9th. You are not qualifying for sectionals so why. People might say team points but the best teams will win there 1st match because of seeding. I believe years ago if you lost your 1st match you were out. It would be nice to get away from the everybody gets a trophy thing again.