Favorite State Tournament Memories

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 06, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hungus

Depies from Random Lake getting medical forfeited by a clueless trainer in the early 90's
Leading my a wide margin with less than a minute left if I remember correctly
You're killing me Smalls!!!

DarkKnight

Quote from: heavy9278 on February 07, 2015, 06:46:20 PM
Depies from Random Lake getting medical forfeited by a clueless trainer in the early 90's

That happened? I wouldn't know I wasn't really around. I assume Depies wanted to keep wrestling but the trainer didn't let him?

Hungus

Quote from: DarkKnight on February 07, 2015, 07:15:12 PM

That happened? I wouldn't know I wasn't really around. I assume Depies wanted to keep wrestling but the trainer didn't let him?

The trainer did one of those push down tests on his arms and ruled he didn't have enough strength or something to that affect to continue. He was livid, the whole Fieldhouse was going nuts. He got screwed
I seem to remember the Tomahawk kid wasn't to happy to have to stand on top of that podium
You're killing me Smalls!!!

tyben

Tritz vs Black was amazing. Some others not mentioned that come to mind were Zip Spencer vs Phil Bird and the lateral after the whistle that made the crowd crazy, Venendal vs Kutz  with Kutz getting an early headlock and Kutz coming back to win.

imnofish

Quote from: heavy9278 on February 07, 2015, 08:12:23 PM
Quote from: DarkKnight on February 07, 2015, 07:15:12 PM

The trainer did one of those push down tests on his arms and ruled he didn't have enough strength or something to that affect to continue. He was livid, the whole Fieldhouse was going nuts. He got screwed
I seem to remember the Tomahawk kid wasn't to happy to have to stand on top of that podium

Yes, the Tomahawk coach told me that the kid felt really bad about that situation, especially when he got the impression that the crowd was booing him on the podium.  As I recall, the match was stopped several times, due to DePies being in tremendous pain from the shoulder and the trainer tested it repeatedly.  It wasn't just a single occurrence.  I believe he was also out of injury time at that point.  What was so frustrating was that there was so little time left in the match and the kid was so far ahead.  It was great to see him come back and win it the next year, after missing much of that season due to a football injury.  Pretty determined and talented kid!  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

maggie

one of my favorite moments was when Tom brought me up a Huge Popcorn a few yrs back... :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Ghetto

your memory is a bit off on the Askren thing Maggie. Ben and Spencer from Baraboo were the ones trading words on the internet  and Ben smashed him. Ben beat our kid, Spencer Dominguez, by two in the quarters in a match I still say we got hosed on back points in.  Spencer Dominguez wasn't a trash talker at all. He was the kid who would smash you and politely pick you up afterwards.  ;D
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

statman

couple of the best finals matches i have seen was joe budi and jody van laanen also max askren and trevor brandvold. i also second askren on the semi finals matches. it seems friday night is better than sat night. it kinda seems like in the semi finals everyone is going 110% but as soon as they get into the finals everyone wrestles really conservatively
they don't call me statman for nothin

woody53

I have been blessed to be part of the Tournament since 1976.
So many good times that I forgot some. My top 5.
1) Kelly and Mike with Cory's Warm-up Jacket.
2) Coaching a two time State Champion while running the Tournament. Thanks Kyle Reeve.
3) Coaching the others from Wisconsin Heights while working the Tournament. You all were chasing your Dream. You knew what I needed to do. You know that both of us gave everything. What a great experience.
4) Towel tapping in the State Finals in 1977. Didn't make it as a wrestler. Had the young man who beat me (Bob Dickman) win State. Changed my view of myself.
5) Having the MAN, and my High School Coach, who got me to see how important this sport was, Bernie Kane, and his family, be part of my team that makes this Tournament happen.
Sappy, I know but really. I just live for this Sport !
Thanks to all the fans and Family that experience the WIAA State Championships.
Also have had tons of friends and family that have experienced the thrill and the pain of the State Tournament. Lived through it with them all.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

npope

Quote from: woody53 on February 08, 2015, 11:56:42 AM
Quote from: Josh Crass on February 07, 2015, 05:38:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-D2S8xi6o

some of it
Another moment that changed our sport in Wisconsin. Kudos to both.

While the match was just another brick in the wall that eventually established Kevin's legacy within the state's wrestling lore, what I hope doesn't ever get lost when people relive that match is the fact that Tritz actually dropped a weight at the end of the season to get a chance at knocking off Black. Tritz was (easily?) on target to have won the title at 126 should he have chosen to stay at that weight, but he chose to take on a bigger challenge. Pretty incredible.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

woody53

Quote from: npope on February 08, 2015, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: woody53 on February 08, 2015, 11:56:42 AM
Quote from: Josh Crass on February 07, 2015, 05:38:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-D2S8xi6o

some of it
Another moment that changed our sport in Wisconsin. Kudos to both.

While the match was just another brick in the wall that eventually established Kevin's legacy within the state's wrestling lore, what I hope doesn't ever get lost when people relive that match is the fact that Tritz actually dropped a weight at the end of the season to get a chance at knocking off Black. Tritz was (easily?) on target to have won the title at 126 should he have chosen to stay at that weight, but he chose to take on a bigger challenge. Pretty incredible.
Yes, that is the reason that it was so much a part of the history of our Tournament. Both have gone on to do great things for our sport.

wrestling135

There's just too many that come to mind. Best match I've ever seen had go be Willis upsetting Peterson.

How about the year the Lampe duo made some noise, Alyssa just a few points away from a state championship and Anthony schooling one of the wunnicke brothers. Boy did he show up that night! !

Or Brandon Garcia dominating Weinke and gets called for the slam in the 3rd!!

York and The Ellsworth kid.. two studs going at it!!

Or dierenger losing to Zainer.  This topic gets my mind racing and butterflies in my stomach! Is state almost here????

maggie

but my most fondness memory of the state tournament besides being a participant has to be attending and participate in the Badgers Thur morning practice before the tournament started, I'll never forget my head spinning and bouncing off the walls after going TD with Kemp and Jeidy for 6 minutes...  :o
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

imnofish

Quote from: benaskren on February 07, 2015, 05:01:59 PM
For me it was definitely Tritz vs Black in 98 when Black was going for his 4th title!  The Arena was buzzing. 

Ghetto, I never talked any smack, what are you talking about ;)

Other favorite is the 2 or 3 quarterfinal upsets that happen every single year that no one can predict!  You know they are gonna happen, but can't imagine where they are going to happen, then they always do!

Tritz vs Black was definitely one of my favorites.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!