The Next Next Level...

Started by 911Dad, February 18, 2013, 05:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

911Dad

Just wanted to get the temperature of some of you diehards out there...

My son's been out there for 5+ yrs. now; past 3 yrs. State Qualifier, but not able to advance much past that.  During the season, he's hardcore with practicing, but come April, he's burnt for the season until his elite club spins up in October.  We try for tough tournaments to get him good competition leading up to crunch time. 

I'm wondering if many of your guys go way above and beyond that?  Maybe home training?  (Weights, running, push/sits, etc.)  He hasn't hit any growth spurt yet, so I'm leery about getting him into weights, but maybe I'm naive about it?  Anything else you'd recommend?

Don't want to push him into offseason stuff (camps, freestyle/GR) if he's not willing...he's got other interests like football, soccer, etc. so he keeps in shape, and I don't want to be That Dad and burn him out on wrestling for good.

Any suggestions on getting him over the hump without getting psycho about it?  Want to help him get past standing NEXT to the podium...

Thanks,

aarons23

Don't worry about him standing next to the podium in youth...youth championships are over rated.  Be more concerned about your son having fun and enjoying the sport.  Seams as if your doing the right thing if he is always ready to come back in October.  Kids develop at different rates. Continue not to push him, keep him learning, having fun and hungry for the sport.  Your doing the right thing...you don't need some psycho dad telling you he needs more, camps weight lifting , year round.  Each kid Is different...you know what's best for your son.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

missinghome

good post. Oct. till the end of youth state is to long already. Burn out can come in many different forms,even though he might not say he is burned out it might be just another match to him. I suggest you look up the good guys (Gable, Sanderson, Smith, and so on) they all have either books or blogs, remember those are the ones that did it right, they're not someones dad that has a really good youth wrestler. Like Arron said to much is put into youth wrestling.

gablesgrip1

I have one graduate(1x youth qualifier, 1x hs state qualifier--did not place at either), one  in high school now(5x youth qualifer, 2x place winner, 1x hs state qualifier, will find out if he places this weekend), and one in youth right now(2x qualifier).

You are doing everything I did and I wouldn't change anything that i have done with my kids except.  I would challenge them alot more in the classroom.  That is one thing that I would push harder than anything!!!!!  You don't get your education back.  You can always be a better wrestler in high school and beyond if your wrestler chooses to.

hodagdad

Quote from: aarons23 on February 18, 2013, 05:37:11 PM
Don't worry about him standing next to the podium in youth...youth championships are over rated.  Be more concerned about your son having fun and enjoying the sport.  Seams as if your doing the right thing if he is always ready to come back in October.  Kids develop at different rates. Continue not to push him, keep him learning, having fun and hungry for the sport.  Your doing the right thing...you don't need some psycho dad telling you he needs more, camps weight lifting , year round.  Each kid Is different...you know what's best for your son.

Great Advice

a couple suggestions to add to it.  when high-school comes around everyone is a good wrestler and youth experience is often blocked by 1. physical strength and 2. mental strength.  it can ... nah, it's an enormously frustrating experience for many freshmen and sophomores who had success at the youth level.

find a way to encourage him to face those two pieces as they relate to things beyond wrestling.  healthy body for life, strength training that feeds all of his interests (football, wrestling, personal achievement, body etc...) and mental toughness that can be applied to his education etc...  a self-driven and strong kid does well in everything they approach ... wrestling is just one of them.

the one "camp" or "program" i would highly recommend tho is greco.  it will pay back HUGE and give him a different style that can be fun and not just the same old stuff.

911Dad

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.  One reason I'm trying to help him improve his youth level outcomes is that I doubt he's going to get much traction once he gets to high school.  Based on his size now and the gene pool he's working from (sorry kiddo), he may get to graduation before he gets to 100 lbs.  At least we'll never have to worry about cutting...

This sport has taught him so much about hard work, perseverance, and attitude...it'd be nice for him to get a nice payoff he can look back on.  Had a ball watching Bird v. Lee and the rest of HS State with him.  Funny how his game face came out Sunday after watching all the big boys on Saturday...

Thanks again, and best of luck...Silly Season is almost upon us.

-Dad

legman160

Get your son into Freestyle/Greco, he stays wrestling and it will take him to the next level. But he will enjoy it because it is different.

legman160

And the atmosphere is laid back!!

meatballs

Quote from: legman160 on March 01, 2013, 01:34:57 PM
Get your son into Freestyle/Greco, he stays wrestling and it will take him to the next level. But he will enjoy it because it is different.

VERY true!! Our boys can't wait for Freestyle/Greco season and prefer those styles to the grind of folkstyle. There is no burn out, the practices are laid back and even the tournaments have a different atmosphere. Freestyle/Greco season is where they get to pal around with their folkstyle season"enemies". Lots of competition without the craziness and all that extra mat time pays off!!

DocWrestling

One other thought.  Don't focus on more now at this past of the season.  The goal is to peak for regionals and state.  This means you should be backing off on your training right now so he is as fresh as he can be.  Many make the mistake of increasing the training intensity right now.

Don't make the mistake of overtraining at this point.  More focused shorter practices. 
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

harley

I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I personally think youth results can be over rated.
3 one minute periods are not the same as 3 two minute periods.  Don't push him, being a multi sport athlete is not a bad thing. My son was a 2 X youth qualifier 1 x youth place winner. He ended up being a 3 x State qualifier and 2 x State Champ. He played football, ran track and participated in our local water ski show all summer and things worked out all right for him on the mat. I also agree with the poster that said push him in the class room, that is really what it is all about in the long run.

Good luck to you and your son.

911Dad

Following up...

Thanks to all for the great advice.  Turns out there was nothing for me to change or suggest, really.  Somewhere along the way, something clicked in the kid's head, and I saw a whole new determination come out.  He started doing some running/push-ups on his nights home once in a while, and I noticed his junk food intake was WAY down...all with NOTHING said from me...

Well, he came through this weekend huge.  3rd place, and his loss in the semi's was by ONE point.  The loss hurt, but after a few minutes of "alone time", he bounced back and rolled through the next two matches...head held high, but hungry for more.

Bottom line, the kid has heart, and he's learning about how much work it takes to get to the next level...I guess my job's just patience and support.

I know, "duh", right?

God, I love this sport.

Congrats to everyone who competed this weekend. Amazing how much energy is generated when so many kids are battling their guts out in one building!

See ya around...

-Dad