J Robinson talks about future of College Wrestling

Started by 1Iota, January 26, 2015, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2015, 10:40:11 AM
Tonight I am going to the Mn/IA dual.  I am excited but winning or losing the dual to me takes a back seat to the individual match ups.

& that is exactly J Robinson's point.  You are a die hard wrestling fan that is interested in all the match ups.  Robinson is talking about how to capture the casual fan that is more likely to support the team than an individual.  The casual fan does not understand the significance of Kelly vs Ness.  They support Goher or Hawkeye athletics.  I am a perfect example of this.  I am not a big volleyball fan & certainly don't understand the details of the sport, but with the success of the current Women's team, this past fall I attended my first UW match.  I doubt I would have attended if the game meant nothing & was more of an exhibition. 

MNbadger

" I doubt I would have attended if the game meant nothing & was more of an exhibition."

Who said wrestling duals mean nothing?  Being the Big Ten dual Champ means something.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

jaguarwrestler

I would bet most fans of the teams are interested in the outcome versus the matchups. I don't care about the outcome, but I would still attend if it was in my backyard. You place the top 16 teams based on rankings and NCAA finish in a bracket at the Kohl for a national team championship and I feel confident you will sell 8,000+ tickets per session.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2015, 12:58:44 PM
I would bet not.

so you think more people care about the match at 133 or 197 over who wins the match and the B1G?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

eagleeye

I think the team entity means quite a bit. I am working on a project at the U of M now. There was actually an article on the local WCCO website today with J Rob talking about the importance of this meet with some good quotes in it. He stresses how important a B1G title is to them and how important this showdown between the top two teams is. I have talked to a few people who are not really college wrestling fans that are going to this tonight just to see this atmosphere. (Wish I could go).
Live long and prosper

head57

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
" I doubt I would have attended if the game meant nothing & was more of an exhibition."

Who said wrestling duals mean nothing?  Being the Big Ten dual Champ means something.

Why does it mean something? A team is crowned at the conference tournament.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

MNbadger

Given the choice I would rather be the Big 10 Tournament Champion but the dual championship certainly means something.

ChargerDad

My son and I were 2 of the 13,610 fans in attendance at MN/IA last night.. That was an electric environme t you get any other place than in a team environment.  Yes, those who understand wrestling appreciated the significance of individual matchups much like someone who understands football appreciates the matchup between the tight end and the safety of linebacker, and the defensive tackle and guard, but what made the Williams Arena crazy was that it was Gophers/Hawkeyes.  I would bet that a dual format championship would attract more casual wrestling fans because of the team format and they can root for their school. I would not replace the current championship, I would have two as they are two totally different measures of a wrestling teams ability.

DocWrestling

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2015, 09:21:51 PM
Given the choice I would rather be the Big 10 Tournament Champion but the dual championship certainly means something.

The dual championship means nothing.  They don't even wrestle everyone so how could it me anything to anyone.  Truth is they are on the schedule as tune up matches for March for every school except Iowa, Minnesota, and Penn St.  Gee I wonder why they are always good.  Brands, Sanderson, and Robinson what to be great on January 30th, not just in March.

I just hate that Davis discounts everything except for March!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Chief

Something to think about.  Wrestling is the true team sport.  Your best player (Wrestler) can only score 6 pts.  In basketball one guy can carry the whole team.

billymurphy

Gee I wonder why they are always good.  Brands, Sanderson, and Robinson what(*want) to be great on January 30th, not just in March.

Fact: Coach Brands has an abnormal desire to win.
Fact: Coach Brands is a better coach than Coach Davis.
Fact: Brands is a better coach than a vast majority of college coaches.
Fact: You are not going to get even one single person to argue these points.
Conclusion: Wisconsin has three superior wrestlers on the team and
a few other guys that are right on the edge of being very good.
Big Ten Tournament: 1.Iowa 2.Ohio State  3.Minnesota 4.  Penn State
5. Illinois   and fighting it out for 6-8.  Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska.
9. Northwestern.  10-14.  Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland.

Chief

I think that Minnesota will win the Big Ten Tournament.  They are better as a tournament team than a dual team this year.  In years past they would win with points on the backside of the bracket.  That is not the case this year.  They could have 4 to 6 number one or two seeds going in.

head57

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2015, 09:21:51 PM

Why?
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

bigG

Quote from: billymurphy on January 31, 2015, 11:29:47 PM
Gee I wonder why they are always good.  Brands, Sanderson, and Robinson what(*want) to be great on January 30th, not just in March.

Fact: Coach Brands has an abnormal desire to win.
Fact: Coach Brands is a better coach than Coach Davis.
Fact: Brands is a better coach than a vast majority of college coaches.
Fact: You are not going to get even one single person to argue these points.
Conclusion: Wisconsin has three superior wrestlers on the team and
a few other guys that are right on the edge of being very good.
Big Ten Tournament: 1.Iowa 2.Ohio State  3.Minnesota 4.  Penn State
5. Illinois   and fighting it out for 6-8.  Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska.
9. Northwestern.  10-14.  Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland.

Who, in your opinion, is the next Brands, JRob, Sanderson we should go after?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.