J Robinson talks about future of College Wrestling

Started by 1Iota, January 26, 2015, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Interesting article on J Robinson's opinion on how to make D-1 College Wrestling stronger. 
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/college_wrestling_is_strong_bu.html

I like his idea of the National Champion being determined by a dual format.  He is right, that college fans root for teams, not individuals. 

DocWrestling

I like how he talks about the team concept.  I truly think that is what is missing in wrestling at all levels.  Many wrestlers like to just be part of a team and that does not exist many places.  He is right that most fans follow teams and not individuals

When I wrestled you had middle school (7th, 8th, 9th) duals with weight classes
Then we had JV duals
Then of course varsity duals.

Every wrestler had two ways to win either individually or as a team.  Even with a loss you could help out your team by not getting pinned.  In a team dual everyone is the same as they each get one match whether you are a state champ or a below .500 wrestler.

I truly believe that if we would have a single middle school season across the state with duals and middle school tournaments only and then have a middle school state tournament different from WWF tourney that it would grow numbers in high school to JV duals, etc.  I hope the coaches association with the challenge series continue to work down to organize all the way down to the middle schools.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ramjet

Strong programs are admitted but you need quality individuals or develope them to have a good team.

He makes good sense but I also wonder if some really good wrestlers that might be developed in D1 are in D2-3 because they are not interested in the grind and politics of D1?

Team means something in the D2-3 if the team is dominating and successfull the crowds show up, the problem comes from resources and commitment to the sport. Because those programs without finically support and full time program directors suffer and get only parents of wrestler following them.

I had friend say to me the other day that one thing he love to see is folks like Dana White with the UFC dump some support and money into the sport of wrestling and do more to promote it. Made sense seeing most of his successful top flight guys are wrestlers. He should give back.

Heck Ben Askren does a great job of promotion and White has made Millions from wrestlers he should give back. Maybe he should follow Bens lead 😄😄😄😄😄😄.

I am of the opinion it has to happen at all levels and tournaments and meets need to be more of an event and more commitment from high profile folks would help.

I love watching the Badgers not really focused on individuals till the matches but the draw is the idea of the Badgers the Team.

I also think that the concurrent seasons take away from one or the other so College season runs the same time as high school if they had a period of time where the fans of High a School could go to college matches that would help. I would love to see College start in Janurary run through April so that folks finishing with the High a school schedual could go and watch college wrestling. Of course visa versa too College wrestlers helping High a School wrestlers in the early season or even reffing.

shouldvewrestled

He makes great sense in this article.  Especially the team aspect part.  Average fans can get behind a team but it's hard to follow individuals in sports.  Always a topic on here how not enough people show up to Badgers duals.  Never seem to have that problem with basketball or football.  If the duals actually meant something more average Badger fans would probably show up.  It's easier to advertise and make money on teams than individuals for TV stations.  Yet like the article says there are factions who do not want to hear this argument.  Many times around team state on here we see the same topic brought up how unimportant the team series is.  Team is the way to go for growth.   

dman

I agree with J on this!  It is hard to have the same type of support here in this state when the attitude is that March is only when it matters.

whatever

I think a Team Champion based on a dual format would be good for college wrestling.....but not at the expense of the individual championships.

That's the wrestler in me......
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: whatever on January 27, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
I think a Team Champion based on a dual format would be good for college wrestling.....but not at the expense of the individual championships.

I would agree with this, shouldn't lose the whole identity of wrestling as an individual sport, but grow the team part of it.

dman

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on January 27, 2015, 12:18:21 PM
Quote from: whatever on January 27, 2015, 12:15:07 PM

I would agree with this, shouldn't lose the whole identity of wrestling as an individual sport, but grow the team part of it.

Agreed

Chief

I guess my question would be "What do you mean when you say not at the expense of the individual championships"?  The individual championship would lose some excitement and glamour by not crowning a team champion at the end.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: Chief on January 27, 2015, 01:35:43 PM
I guess my question would be "What do you mean when you say not at the expense of the individual championships"?  The individual championship would lose some excitement and glamour by not crowning a team champion at the end.

90% of the spectators don't even have a horse in the team race at individuals.  Heck even look this year, say RT, Jordan, and Medberry wrestle out of their minds and win titles (extreme longshot) that would put WI close to the top teamwise.  You can't tell me having 3 studs makes a team.  MN, Iowa, PSU, Michigan, Ohio State all better "teams."

Besides that excitement would be placed on a new event right after or before the individual tournament thus not actually losing an excitement just gaining more for another wrestling event.  Another event can't hurt the sport.

bigG

Any time I talk to seniors in HS about what they'll miss about their HS team, they always say "I loved the duals." Nothing on this earth is as emotionally draining, pumped-up exciting, muy loco as a good dual. I feel the same about college.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gutwrench

Do people like the team championship (dual format) prior to the individual championship, or individual prior to team?

Maybe high school is one way, while college is the opposite. 

woody53

Quote from: Gutwrench on January 27, 2015, 03:31:24 PM
Do people like the team championship (dual format) prior to the individual championship, or individual prior to team?

Maybe high school is one way, while college is the opposite. 
Could be the same weekend if the WWCA would except it here in Wisconsin. ;)
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

MNbadger

I am a MN fan and I enjoy the Championships more than the National Duals which MN has won some.  I never want to see the National Championships (true champion) take a back seat to the duals.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Huckfinn

Quote from: MNbadger on January 27, 2015, 04:04:17 PM
I never want to see the National Championships (true champion) take a back seat to the duals.
I don't think anybody is suggesting that the tournament that crowns individual champions should be less prestigious.

I totally agree with Jrob that the dual meets are much better entertainment for spectators than tournaments.  There's far more drama in a team competition, every match matters a lot, and it is far easier to focus on one match at a time.

Giant tournaments really are awful, frankly.  We love them as wrestling fanatics because they are all-you-can-eat-buffets of wrestling.  But a huge arena with matches going on 6 or 8 mats is a mess for casual fans.   The fans are far from the action.  It's constant distraction.    You miss highlights.  It's almost easier to appreciate a tournament watching online, if the software is working well.