Musky Reels

Started by imnofish, January 20, 2015, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Wish I knew more. You decide yet?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

I'm going to get a Daiwa Lexa 400HL (left hand crank) and pair it with an 8'6" Medium-Heavy power, Fast action Shimano Convergence Muskie Casting Rod.  The rod has a telescopic handle, so it will still fit in my boat's 7' rod locker.  The cost is $370, plus taxes and shipping.  Using Cabela's points will knock it down to about $185, though.  I found a video and article on the type of fishing I want to do with it and the type of equipment needed, so that helped me narrow it down.  I could have gone with a more expensive rod, but this one will work fine and it fits my budget.  Now I can't wait for open water!   :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Too funny,
I was just watching a muskie show this morning and they were featuring that rod. I thought "I need to mention this to Fish".  Sounds like a great idea and set up.
Enjoy it man, and get some hook-ups!

bigG

8'6"! Better be telescoping. Could cover a good chunk of the Chipp flowage with that lightning rod.

Though I often stick with Shimano reels, the one Daiwa I own has been great. It's an ultra light from the mid 80's, though, so I'm a little behind the times. :)

imnofish

I have a couple of low-profile Spidercast casting reels that I just love to use.  One of the early reels designed to be used with super braids.  They quit making these reels a long time ago.  They are fine for bass and pike.  I have even caught a few muskies with them.  They have been used so much that they are all scarred up, but I've never had to repair either of them. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Most of my "go-to" reels are Shimanos from the 80s and 90s.

imnofish

Just ordered the new rod and reel from Cabela's.  Using points cut the cost in half, plus they had a 2-day special that eliminated shipping costs, which saved an additional (nearly) $40.  Now, I need to find a good source for 80 lb. test Suffix 832 braid.  Really starting to get fired up for open water! 

imnofish

My rod and reel arrived yesterday!  Man, this combo is sweet!  Never had a telescoping casting rod before; it's neat how part of the rod slides down inside the handle.  With the big thaw coming this week, my casting arm is getting twitchy.   ;D

bigG