Musky Reels

Started by imnofish, January 20, 2015, 11:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

I need some advice on my next musky reel purchase.  Last year I bought some big, heavy buzzbaits for muskies.  Neither one of my musky reels can get them up on top, so I'm looking for something with a bit more zip.  I want to spend less that $200, so the little woman doesn't kill me. ;D    Any suggestions?  (other than throwing the lures away)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

What are you using now? You could probably look for the same model with a different gear ratio.
Using a reel with a lower line capacity can actually help. The larger capacity reels have a wider spool to allow for more line. A lower capacity reel has a narrower spool, so the line will "stack up" faster, thus effectively changing the amount of line pulled in per turn of the handle.
Learned that little tidbit on TV from Pete Mania one time.

maggie

well, there all good.. :)..all depends how much ya want to spend on a good reel, the Revo Toro Winch by Garcia will help ya get the job done job as well as a Calcutta 400 B, Shimamo also has a few good Bait casters, the Cardiff would do the trick for ya...there Tnrax is also a great reel, but ya better hit the bank before going to look for one... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Musky-Fishing/discuss.cfm/80597/Abu-Garcia-Vs-Shimano-Musky-Reels

I'm a Shimano man, but the Abu sounds like a good way to go, too. Replace the thing no Qs asked. Good service. Lake-link is my favorite source.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

I now have a Shimano Corvalis and an older Abu-Garcia 5500 C3, neither of which has a very high gear ratio or pulls much line per handle turn.  I think the combination of a larger spool and higher gear ratio should increase the amount of line retrieved per turn.  Does that sound right?  Anyone have any experience with a reel that has those features?  I have some Cabela's points built up, so I could probably go up to $350, if it's a reel that Cabela's carries.  Even if I never use the buzzbaits I mentioned, I really do need something that gives me the capability to greatly increase the lure speed and trigger more reaction strikes.  I seem to be getting a lot of follows at times, but not triggering strikes; so maybe this would remedy that, to some extent.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Handles II

Have you been "trolling" on any muskie and/or pike forums?  I'd do a google search on this topic or modify it a bit. My guess is some guys that are much more into that sport and less-so wrestling would be a great place to go.

imnofish

Yes, I have been researching the topic extensively online.  Lots of guys are posting lots of things that contradict each other.   :P 
Also exploring various tackle sites and reading rod and reel reviews.  I'm putting the pieces of the puzzle together before I make a purchase.  No sense wasting my money.  Besides, got some time before Musky season opens.
The lure that I want to be able to "burn" is Shrivers Musky HiJacker, which is a traditional style buzz bait with two props on the same axle.  My fastest reel is 5.2:1 and it's too slow to get the lure on top.  I'm looking at reels with speeds ranging from 6.2:1 to 7.1:1 and line retrieval rates up about 32" per handle turn.  I want to be able to burn bucktails and expand my range of top water presentations, too.   I don't want to buy something that's only good for one application.  Some guys on the forums say that these high speed reels will be harder to turn, while others claim they are easier.  Some say they should be paired with 8 or 9 ft. rods, while others say 7 ft. is good.  Some say medium/heavy rods with fast action are the way to go, while others recommend something akin to a pool cue.  Lots to think about.  Wish there was a good musky shop near me.  I know a guy here who does a lot of musky fishing and catches more than his share of hogs.  I think I will try and pick his brain. 

bigG

Sounds like an invite to a fish fry might be in order.

Handles II

One aspect to think about, once you get that buzzbait on "top" they have a tendency to stay up. Therefore the use of a longer rod (8 ft for example) can really be helpful going to a quick rod-up position as soon as the lure hits the water and then settling in. My guess is a 6.2:1 would suffice with a longer rod, and once again, that advice of a narrower reel to stack up the line quicker does make sense. With superlines you don't need the 300 yard capacity reels that once were desired by some fishermen. You can also always backfill a larger capacity reel with heavy mono and only use superline for the last 100 yards, that would also help the line stack up faster.

I'm sure with those cabela's points you will be just fine.

bigG

Good point, easier to develop speed for the follow to turn strike.

imnofish

Thanks for the ideas, guys!  Right now, I am leaning toward the Shimano Curado 301E (left hand), which pulls 28 inches of line per handle turn and has a ratio of 6.2:1.  Reading lots of good things about it and I should be able to get it for about 1/2 price, using my Cabela's points.  If I can pair it up with the right 8-9 ft. rod, it should be pretty sweet.  I do plan on running this past the local musky guy, just to get his perspective.  I will probably see him at the next home wrestling meet.  Any thoughts on 8ft. vs 9ft. rod lengths? 

Handles II

Sounds like a fantastic set up if you go that route! I can't speak about the difference in the two rod lengths though. My buddy in NW MN who muskie fishes a ton has switched from 7ft to 8 ft rods and is happy that he did, better casting and softer tip for those big 'ski's.
Sounds like you've got a better resource than me to talk to, and a fun problem to solve.

imnofish

Longer rods are better for figure 8s and you can cast farther with less effort.  I used to have a 9ft crappie rod and I really liked it.  for everything else, I have been fishing with 7 footers for several years, now.  I'm finding out about all kinds of rods and reels that I didn't previously know about, including some different rod companies and websites.  Anyone have any experience with the rods from Tackle Industries? 

bigG

As the cost goes up, so does the difficulting in selection.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on January 30, 2015, 06:21:26 AM
As the cost goes up, so does the difficulting in selection.

True!  I do love a puzzle, though!   ;D