Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015

Started by TomM, January 05, 2015, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestle84

The problem I see is distance. Neillsville is placed in the Mineral Point region which is a 3 hour ride instead of the Eau Claire region which is a 1 hour ride. Who could blame them for not going?

Mama berry

It is nice to see people mention the kids that are not going to make the 106# weight class next year. I think that incorporating a lower then 106# weight class would be perfect for these kids that just can't, no matter what, put on a pound but still love the sport. Not sure how you would handle the pinch testing issue for this but  let's not let that stop a opportunity for these smaller guys.

foose4

Quote from: 1Iota on January 07, 2015, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: boowrestle on January 07, 2015, 12:58:03 PM
People this is high school not youth wrestling!You use high school wt classes!!!People always wanting to fix things that are not broken!!!

I disagree.  The current weight classes were created for Varsity competition with no real thought of JV.  The idea of JV is to give the younger & less skilled wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle & prepare many of them for Varsity competition, but like every other sport, your JV consist of younger & less mature wrestlers.  I have attended enough JV tournaments the last 5-6 years to know there are plenty of wrestlers who in the 90 & even some in the 80lb weights.  How in the world is it in their best interest to give up 10-20lbs to the weight class?  Is this in your opinion the best way to keep these undersized kids in the sport?

Actually weight classes were created for HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING, be it JV or Varsity.  I do believe in every other sport WIAA offers, that there are not any differences in the playing rules or regulations between the JV or Varsity, so why do it here?

Plus, how do you make a weight class you don't skinfold for?  And we all know if you make a smaller weight class, someone will think it's best to cut down there instead of wrestling 106. 

"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

boowrestle

foose4,finally somebody that gets it ;)//wether you are jv or varsity you are a high school athlete!We get people on here that want there to be choice between singlets or shorts/shirt and now want special wt classes. ??? guess iam just old school.
you can run but you cannot hide.

joeski

In regards to the Sauk regional. Does anyone know if you will need to pay to get into the varsity and j.v. events separately, or just pay one admission like in the past to get into both.

Numbers

Quote from: boowrestle on January 08, 2015, 01:34:33 PM
foose4,finally somebody that gets it ;)//wether you are jv or varsity you are a high school athlete!We get people on here that want there to be choice between singlets or shorts/shirt and now want special wt classes. ??? guess iam just old school.

Back in the 80's there was a 98 pound weight class.  That is truly old school. ;)

TomM

Quote from: joeski on January 08, 2015, 01:52:37 PM
In regards to the Sauk regional. Does anyone know if you will need to pay to get into the varsity and j.v. events separately, or just pay one admission like in the past to get into both.

Have it on trusted advice; There will only be one charge for both events. $6.00
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Quote from: Numbers on January 08, 2015, 02:33:20 PM
Quote from: boowrestle on January 08, 2015, 01:34:33 PM

Back in the 80's there was a 98 pound weight class.  That is truly old school. ;)

Earlier than that, as late as 1969, there was a 95 ... http://www.rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1969_files/95lbs.jpg

And prior to that in 1963 it was 103
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

joeski

Thanks again Tom. Looking forward to both events. Got a horse in both races. So to speak :)

1Iota

Quote from: foose4 on January 08, 2015, 12:08:07 PM
People this is high school not youth wrestling!You use high school wt classes!!!People always wanting to fix things that are not broken!!!

I disagree.  The current weight classes were created for Varsity competition with no real thought of JV.  The idea of JV is to give the younger & less skilled wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle & prepare many of them for Varsity competition, but like every other sport, your JV consist of younger & less mature wrestlers.  I have attended enough JV tournaments the last 5-6 years to know there are plenty of wrestlers who in the 90 & even some in the 80lb weights.  How in the world is it in their best interest to give up 10-20lbs to the weight class?  Is this in your opinion the best way to keep these undersized kids in the sport?

Actually weight classes were created for HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING, be it JV or Varsity.  I do believe in every other sport WIAA offers, that there are not any differences in the playing rules or regulations between the JV or Varsity, so why do it here?

Plus, how do you make a weight class you don't skinfold for?  And we all know if you make a smaller weight class, someone will think it's best to cut down there instead of wrestling 106. 

The rules would be exactly the same.  There rules are no different regardless of weight class.  I think weight classes were created with the idea in mind that wrestlers one in different sizes, other wise lets get rid of weight classes all together.  Toughest man wins regardless of size. 

It also seems as though many of the JV tournaments already have changed formats & rules.  I have never been to a varsity 4 man round robin with no weight class, but instead 4 closest competitors according to weight.  This is the most common format for JV tournaments.  That must really make your blood boil!  Also, this challenge series is not using a 2-2-2 time format for periods.  How can this be?  high school wrestlers should all follow the same rules! 

The reality is JV is different than varsity & one of the differences is the amount of younger wrestlers that are not even 100lbs much less 106.  Why would we not try to create a weight class that leveled the playing field for these kids if we can?  Why would we not do eveything in our power to create an environment that makes them more likely to continue with the sport & keep them wrestling into their Jr. & Sr. years? 

The skin fold test is the most valid argument against doing this, the rest of your post is ignorant BS

foose4

Quote from: 1Iota on January 08, 2015, 03:52:40 PM

The rules would be exactly the same.  There rules are no different regardless of weight class.  I think weight classes were created with the idea in mind that wrestlers one in different sizes, other wise lets get rid of weight classes all together.  Toughest man wins regardless of size. 

It also seems as though many of the JV tournaments already have changed formats & rules.  I have never been to a varsity 4 man round robin with no weight class, but instead 4 closest competitors according to weight.  This is the most common format for JV tournaments.  That must really make your blood boil!  Also, this challenge series is not using a 2-2-2 time format for periods.  How can this be?  high school wrestlers should all follow the same rules! 

The reality is JV is different than varsity & one of the differences is the amount of younger wrestlers that are not even 100lbs much less 106.  Why would we not try to create a weight class that leveled the playing field for these kids if we can?  Why would we not do eveything in our power to create an environment that makes them more likely to continue with the sport & keep them wrestling into their Jr. & Sr. years? 

The skin fold test is the most valid argument against doing this, the rest of your post is ignorant BS

So what your saying is now we should make freshman volleyball use a net 6" lower.....there only freshman.  And then let's lower the basket in basketball and make the 3 point circle a foot closet......it's only JV.   Don't forget, for softball and baseball, let's shorten the base paths.....how can freshman throw all the way across a full size field.   I guess for track, what we will do is have those that don't make the varsity scoring spots run earlier than those that can get varsity point and only have them run 80M instead of 100, why should they run the proper length, they aren't on Varsity.  JV football better use a smaller football.....how could anyone not on varsity throw a ball that's regulation size.

Let me know when WIAA sends out the official rules of JV sports, until then let's keep the rules the same.  As far as time, your right, every JV and Freshman game out there use shorter time periods.

And actually there is a rule concerning WEIGHT CLASSES in the WIAA Rules and Regulations

15. RULES GOVERNING COMPETITION
Note: For the 2014-15 season the official weights to be used are: 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195,
220 and 285 lb.
Zig Ziglar

1Iota

Quote from: foose4 on January 08, 2015, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on January 08, 2015, 03:52:40 PM

So what your saying is now we should make freshman volleyball use a net 6" lower.....there only freshman.  And then let's lower the basket in basketball and make the 3 point circle a foot closet......it's only JV.   Don't forget, for softball and baseball, let's shorten the base paths.....how can freshman throw all the way across a full size field.   I guess for track, what we will do is have those that don't make the varsity scoring spots run earlier than those that can get varsity point and only have them run 80M instead of 100, why should they run the proper length, they aren't on Varsity.  JV football better use a smaller football.....how could anyone not on varsity throw a ball that's regulation size.

Let me know when WIAA sends out the official rules of JV sports, until then let's keep the rules the same.  As far as time, your right, every JV and Freshman game out there use shorter time periods.

And actually there is a rule concerning WEIGHT CLASSES in the WIAA Rules and Regulations

15. RULES GOVERNING COMPETITION
Note: For the 2014-15 season the official weights to be used are: 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195,
220 and 285 lb.

Your argument is inane.  The examples your siting in no way give a competitive advantage to either opponent.  On the other hand requiring a 92lb kid to wrestle a 106lb kid is not a fair competition.  When the changes to the weight classes were made, one of the concerns sited was the number of Frosh wrestling 103.  The argument often used to support the change was that frosh shouldn't necessarily be wrestling varsity anyway.  This change was not made with any real thought given to JV as most JV tournaments don't use these weight classes anyway. 

You ignored my question.  Why would you not want to create a more competing fair situation for all of the undersized wrestlers that litter JV rosters?  How is it in the best interest of wrestling to put them in a situation in which they simply can't compete? 

foose4

Realistically we are making something of of nothing here.  This isn't a JV tournament.....the rules state "Sub-Varsity".

And if you kids is 92 wrestling 106 he is at 86.8% of the weight range.  The same at any kid 245 wrestling 285.  I guess we should add a bracket about 240 to make sure you don't forget the big guys too ;D

I am really done arguing this.  Smaller kids have it tougher than those bigger than those in the weight bracket, everyone knows that.  We just have to get away from the "it's not fair" thought process. 
Zig Ziglar

aarons23

How ever you look at it....this is a great start. 

What are the qualifications for wrestling in this tournament? Can you win this tournament and then wrestle in regionals for varsity? I actually hope not.  I don't think that's what it is meant for.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

foose4

Quote from: aarons23 on January 08, 2015, 04:34:00 PM
How ever you look at it....this is a great start. 

What are the qualifications for wrestling in this tournament? Can you win this tournament and then wrestle in regionals for varsity? I actually hope not.  I don't think that's what it is meant for.

If you look at the rules, it doesn't state that you can't do both, and I hope the only way that would happen is if your #1 kids got hurt the week before and you have no one else for that spot.  I did read that it states up to coaches discretion but this really isn't made for really good kids that can win varsity matches but lose the wrestle off for the spot, its made for those that are not at the varsity talent level.

Rule #2) The event is considered 'sub-varsity' level.
-Ask yourself if this wrestler is a 'sub-varsity' level wrestler.
-If the wrestler has been on the varsity or belonged on the varsity this year, should he enter this event?
-A 'varsity' wrestler should not be entered in this tournament.
-This tournament should not be used by a varsity wrestler to fill in for a 'missed' varsity tournament opportunity.
-This event is meant for high school wrestlers who are not regularly varsity wrestlers

This is a great event.  How many duals do you go to where only about 3 JV matches happen before the varsity match?  Our school has 29 kids on our team and you really have to work hard to get the non varsity starters matches.   And you need to do that or we will lose them.   
Zig Ziglar