Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015

Started by TomM, January 05, 2015, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCA

There are around 40 some schools at a regional, what happens if there is a bracket with 40 kids in it?

foose4

Quote from: PCA on January 07, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
There are around 40 some schools at a regional, what happens if there is a bracket with 40 kids in it?

This is a non-seeded advancement tournament at Region and Final levels. There will be no seeding. Trackwrestling makes an effort to separate team members.
Each individual will wrestle a minimum of 2 matches if there are enough entries at the weight.*
Weight Classes under 32 competitors, top 3 wrestlers advance (*2 match minimum at Regional.) 
Weight classes over 32 competitors; Region will run two (2) brackets of balanced size and the champion of each bracket will advance.
Where the five match maximum has been reached and a place must be decided a coin flip will determine the advancing or higher placing wrestler.  For third, the other wrestler will become an alternate if space becomes available for Final at that weight. In a Region wt. with more than 32 a coin flip will determine a final Region one and two order for placement on bracket at the Final. Coin flip is used instead of criteria as there is no Region seeding. In round one at the Final, 2nds and 3rds from different Regions will wrestle and winners will then wrestle a Region 1st. In the case of an 'alternate' this may not hold true.
There will be no 'true' wrestle back to 2nd.
Matches are 2-2-2 for Championship side and 1-2-2 for consolation side
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

1Iota

I doubt that will happen as not every team in the Region has chosen to participate.  Also, of the teams present many do not have enough kids to fill every weight class, some won't fill the majority of the weight classes.  

40 is a lot of teams however & my one recommendation in the future would be to add a few additional weight classes.  Especially in the lower weights.  There a number of Frosh wresting JV who weigh much less than 106lbs. If you added a 98lb weight class you would have plenty of kids in the bracket.  

crossface21

Number of teams registered so far at each Regional:

Eau Claire  33
Sauk Prairie  31
Wrightstown  23
Homestead  22
Whitnall  21
Merrill  14
Mineral Point  12
Stoughton  11

ecnorth

33 teams registered (some may not send any wrestlers though) and currently about 200 participants. Nice job NW Wisconsin!!  :)
as is stands, we likely have almost all 16 man brackets...with the need for maybe one or two 32 man. 
Interesting that 106 is among the top three weights in total participants.  That's good to see.

1Iota

Quote from: ecnorth on January 07, 2015, 12:04:51 PM
33 teams registered (some may not send any wrestlers though) and currently about 200 participants. Nice job NW Wisconsin!!  :)
as is stands, we likely have almost all 16 man brackets...with the need for maybe one or two 32 man. 
Interesting that 106 is among the top three weights in total participants.  That's good to see.

This doesn't surprise me at all & is why I suggested in an earlier post they include a weight class that is actually less than 106.   One of the arguments used when changing to the 106lb weight class was the lack of varsity ready upperclassman that could compete at 103.  While this is true, you still see a high number of frosh & even some sophs that are in the 90s.  That is why I would suggest in the future for this event they include a 98lb weight class which I guarantee will have more participants that the 3 heaviest weight classes. 

DocWrestling

JV's are typically younger, therefore smaller, so there should absolutely be different weight classes for JV's (versus varsity) that skew lighter.  All weight classes should be lowered or add a few.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

boowrestle

People this is high school not youth wrestling!You use high school wt classes!!!People always wanting to fix things that are not broken!!!
you can run but you cannot hide.

imnofish

The only suggestion I would make is to break weight classes with more than 32 wrestlers into 3 brackets and advance the 3 champs.  That way, the weight class will preserve the same opportunities as the other weight classes. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

1Iota

Quote from: boowrestle on January 07, 2015, 12:58:03 PM
People this is high school not youth wrestling!You use high school wt classes!!!People always wanting to fix things that are not broken!!!

I disagree.  The current weight classes were created for Varsity competition with no real thought of JV.  The idea of JV is to give the younger & less skilled wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle & prepare many of them for Varsity competition, but like every other sport, your JV consist of younger & less mature wrestlers.  I have attended enough JV tournaments the last 5-6 years to know there are plenty of wrestlers who in the 90 & even some in the 80lb weights.  How in the world is it in their best interest to give up 10-20lbs to the weight class?  Is this in your opinion the best way to keep these undersized kids in the sport? 

I think this series is a great idea & gives all of the JV wrestlers something to shoot for, but I do believe different weight classes makes sense. 

imnofish

Quote from: 1Iota on January 07, 2015, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: boowrestle on January 07, 2015, 12:58:03 PM

I disagree.  The current weight classes were created for Varsity competition with no real thought of JV.  The idea of JV is to give the younger & less skilled wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle & prepare many of them for Varsity competition, but like every other sport, your JV consist of younger & less mature wrestlers.  I have attended enough JV tournaments the last 5-6 years to know there are plenty of wrestlers who in the 90 & even some in the 80lb weights.  How in the world is it in their best interest to give up 10-20lbs to the weight class?  Is this in your opinion the best way to keep these undersized kids in the sport? 

I think this series is a great idea & gives all of the JV wrestlers something to shoot for, but I do believe different weight classes makes sense. 
I believe that Illinois once had a smaller weight class for sub-varsity competition, due to the prevalence of undersized, immature wrestlers.  At that time, I think the varsity weight was 95 or 98 and the additional sub-varsity weight class was 90.  If I recall accurately, the 90 weight class was used in tournaments if enough of those kids were present; otherwise, they would wrestle up at 95/98.  It seemed to work well; not sure why they abandoned it, but it seemed like a fair way to improve the competitive experience for those kids. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Numbers

Quote from: 1Iota on January 07, 2015, 11:10:22 AM

I doubt that will happen as not every team in the Region has chosen to participate.  Also, of the teams present many do not have enough kids to fill every weight class, some won't fill the majority of the weight classes.  

40 is a lot of teams however & my one recommendation in the future would be to add a few additional weight classes.  Especially in the lower weights.  There a number of Frosh wresting JV who weigh much less than 106lbs. If you added a 98lb weight class you would have plenty of kids in the bracket.  

Would you have to skinfold test for a non-varsity weight of 98 to qualify? 

When you look at the percentage of body weight disadvantage a 90 pound kid has vs. a 106 pound kid,  there is a likely reason for being on JV (which does not mean the 90 pound kid is not a talented wrestler).

Ghetto

I'm looking forward to the challenge series. My kids are jacked up about it. They are acting more like varsity kids with more focus and determination in the room. They also have started to pay attention more to their diet and getting to a right weight.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

Quote from: Numbers on January 07, 2015, 02:24:23 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on January 07, 2015, 11:10:22 AM

Would you have to skinfold test for a non-varsity weight of 98 to qualify? 

When you look at the percentage of body weight disadvantage a 90 pound kid has vs. a 106 pound kid,  there is a likely reason for being on JV (which does not mean the 90 pound kid is not a talented wrestler).

I suspect that's the deal breaker, at this point.  Good point.

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY